The Difference

Topram

I know it's very early on in Rowetts era but I can't help but feel a buzz and a different type of buzz, Yes we went on a great run as soon as Macca came back but some matches you can argue we were very lucky in, I feel the players have taken on board what Rowett said about passion and pride for playing for Derby, the fight is there for all too see, the pressing the not giving up attitude which these players really needed and hopefully it will continue, i see Rowett as bang on in the middle of Mcclaren and Pearson, he has the coaching and good man management of macca and also the hard streak of Pearson but not to hard, he's the perfect man for this job, Vydra I feel will succeed under him as will many others, great to see Russell on the score sheet you can see how much it meant to him to finally score again, just hope he can carry it on, my money is on him first Scorer on Saturday! 

That buzz is back and I can't wait for Saturday! Hopefully another win and a good following! Up the Rams! 

Oh and surely Baird gets another year!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I, personally, am loving that Rowett has achieved in three games what Pearson failed to with a preseason, a cheque book, nine league and two cup games.

Because I think the kind of game we played last night is what Nigel was aiming for....organized and clinical with what we do have.

You could say we are playing a bit more like Leicester when Pearson was there. So what the hell was is trying to do with us?

2 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I've not seen us under Rowett yet how easy on the eye are we to watch?

I wouldn't say easy on the eye particularly, but certainly effective.

Last night Fulham played some wonderful football in the first half but were undone by Derby's willingness to sit deep, snatch the ball and break at speed, with the first ball a quick one looking to turn their defence around. The last two goals were largely due to goalkeeping errors, but both were expertly and clinically taken.#

We very very direct now. No passing between the centre halves, it's get the ball and then get it forward quickly. With the talent we have to deliver and receive, it is playing to our strengths. It's not long ball hit and hope, it's a controlled, direct play. 

Last night was a thrilling game all round.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

haha, so the keeper giving the ball to our players is not lucky?

I suspect Rowett might have had the players looking out for this. Their keeper in the away league was complete crap in that game too. They clearly have massive communication issues between keeper and defence, and it reminds me of the end of Mac's first spell in charge.

Even then though, we scored twice without mistakes between goalie and defence.

1 hour ago, Bridgford Ram said:

I've not seen us under Rowett yet how easy on the eye are we to watch?

55 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

I wouldn't say easy on the eye particularly, but certainly effective.

Last night Fulham played some wonderful football in the first half but were undone by Derby's willingness to sit deep, snatch the ball and break at speed, with the first ball a quick one looking to turn their defence around. The last two goals were largely due to goalkeeping errors, but both were expertly and clinically taken.#

We very very direct now. No passing between the centre halves, it's get the ball and then get it forward quickly. With the talent we have to deliver and receive, it is playing to our strengths. It's not long ball hit and hope, it's a controlled, direct play. 

Last night was a thrilling game all round.

I'd agree with Vulcan, except that we arguably more attractive to watch than at any point this season. As much as passing the ball 40 times before a shot can be nice on the eye, Nugents route 1 goal after 8 mins had me off my feet all the same. Quick breaks are exciting, winning the ball in their half and quick, effective football had me off my feet more than most games this season.

Early days and we know how this group of players can flop. I do have an air of confidence more so than previously that the team as a whole are working harder for each other under GR, whether this is his managerial impact or the players are aware that changes are afoot and it wont be the manager going ?What ever i am feeling confident and cant wait to see who GR brings in during the summer. Looks like a good appointment and cant quite get my head around how close we are to the play offs dispite all the poor results.

COYR and congrats on last nights performance,Brilliant.

Not sure what 'attractive' is meant to signify when referring to football. Fulham passed it around neatly in midfield (especially their No.10 Cairney) but for all their intricate work, the number of serious threats on our goal was low for the amount of possession they had. If you were a Fulham fan would their performance have excited you, got you off your seat? Maybe they had an off night - they are after all the 2nd highest goalscorers in the Championship - did they miss Martin more than they would care to admit to?

I'm hoping for 'exciting' football - pace, power, chances (mostly at the oppositon end), near misses, goals etc. I have a feeling GR may well deliver a team capable of giving us this, though we may have to be patient since I think his priority will be to tighten certain areas of our defensive play and by so doing, provide a solid platform to work from.

Some fans appear to have gone overboard with last night. It was an exciting game between 2 teams with quite contrasting styles but if Fulham had a decent keeper and a powerful central striker things could have been different. We took our chances when they came - something we've not been doing for the last couple of months and the change to bring on an extra midfielder was key to establishing more control in the second half.

Barring a total collapse by at least one of the side's above us, we'll be still playing Championship football next season and for me that's fine. I have renewed optimism that we may finally have a manager who can see what needs doing to turn us into a squad capable, with 2 or 3 key additions, of making a sustained promotion challenge - maybe even automatic. One thing I'm sure of, season 2017/18 won't be boring but then times rarely are at Derby County.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

haha, so the keeper giving the ball to our players is not lucky?

You create your luck by your application of a plan. Nugent applying pressure - something Mcclaren didn't understand or even know how to train for - led to the goalkeeping error. The goalkeeper had a fraction of a second to decide where to kick the ball under extreme pressure. He should have kicked it out, sideways but he was in two minds and tried to play it straight (pass on the mind) cannoning it off Nugents leg. Olsson playing the ball quickly through to Nugent who was hanging on their high line led to the first goal - these are all Rowett inspired tactics. Not pure luck.

The difference is happiness.

Everyone from the players to the crowd seemed to be on good form last night, can't say i was chuffed at Mac's departure, but the mood around the place is certainly a lot better than a few weeks ago.

Time will tell if the feeling lasts, but I'm more optimistic than pessimistic at the moment.

29 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You create your luck by your application of a plan. Nugent applying pressure - something Mcclaren didn't understand or even know how to train for - led to the goalkeeping error. The goalkeeper had a fraction of a second to decide where to kick the ball under extreme pressure. He should have kicked it out, sideways but he was in two minds and tried to play it straight (pass on the mind) cannoning it off Nugents leg. Olsson playing the ball quickly through to Nugent who was hanging on their high line led to the first goal - these are all Rowett inspired tactics. Not pure luck.

You could have made exactly the same point without the snide dig at McClaren, Agenda Boy, and it wouldn't have been any less valid.

43 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Not sure what 'attractive' is meant to signify when referring to football. Fulham passed it around neatly in midfield (especially their No.10 Cairney) but for all their intricate work, the number of serious threats on our goal was low for the amount of possession they had. If you were a Fulham fan would their performance have excited you, got you off your seat? Maybe they had an off night - they are after all the 2nd highest goalscorers in the Championship - did they miss Martin more than they would care to admit to?

I'm hoping for 'exciting' football - pace, power, chances (mostly at the oppositon end), near misses, goals etc. I have a feeling GR may well deliver a team capable of giving us this, though we may have to be patient since I think his priority will be to tighten certain areas of our defensive play and by so doing, provide a solid platform to work from.

Some fans appear to have gone overboard with last night. It was an exciting game between 2 teams with quite contrasting styles but if Fulham had a decent keeper and a powerful central striker things could have been different. We took our chances when they came - something we've not been doing for the last couple of months and the change to bring on an extra midfielder was key to establishing more control in the second half.

Barring a total collapse by at least one of the side's above us, we'll be still playing Championship football next season and for me that's fine. I have renewed optimism that we may finally have a manager who can see what needs doing to turn us into a squad capable, with 2 or 3 key additions, of making a sustained promotion challenge - maybe even automatic. One thing I'm sure of, season 2017/18 won't be boring but then times rarely are at Derby County.

What is the phrase? If my aunty had boll0cks she'd be my uncle haha

I was happy with the fact he seems to have told Keogh an Pearce that they are not allowed to return the ball to the same player who has just given it them. I like the idea of a forward pass first and if it's not on then sideways or back. It's a lot more direct that suits some of our players. Jonno playing like a quarterback spraying cross field balls. Jonny will chase those all day and if you can get Ince against the full back 1 on 1 you always feel confident. Fulham for all there good play missed Martin to link the play. I think the more directness will suit Martin as at times under Pearson you could see his frustration that the ball to him was on yet we kept going backwards. 

For me the most effective players on the pitch tend to play higher up the field, so it makes sense to get the ball up to them as quick as possible. 

Im looking forward to next season and also what the end of the season has instore. 

Archived