Will McClaren be here next season?

Kernow

and he still didnt fair well there did he,with all the multi million players around him..whats a manager supposed to do when he takes over a side,take all his previous players who he signed with him and then be judged wether he a failure..a good manager will get the best out of a bad bunch which maclaren isnt doing at the moment.seems to me he needs stop eating turkey as like previous time he falls asleep after xmas...

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If somebody else comes in, it has to be somebody who is used to a 4231 formation. 

It is the only formation that actually makes the most of our horrendously imbalanced squad. Any other formation and we need to be changing probably 10 players. 

10 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

If somebody else comes in, it has to be somebody who is used to a 4231 formation. 

It is the only formation that actually makes the most of our horrendously imbalanced squad. Any other formation and we need to be changing probably 10 players. 

Warburton?

please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have a connection to Sam Rush?

5 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Warburton?

please someone correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't he have a connection to Sam Rush?

Warburton's signings at Rangers have been a disaster. 

We'd need somebody else in to make the signings, something he wasn't happy with at Brentford! 

Not for me.

If McClaren goes we're probably back at the point were we need Clough again. 

I actually think the situation we're in now is probably one Pearson would be more suited to than the environment that he came in to. 

3 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Warburton?

Hope not. His only season of real achievement was based on cheap, brilliant signings found for him by his chairman's algorithm. 

26 minutes ago, cannable said:

Warburton's signings at Rangers have been a disaster. 

We'd need somebody else in to make the signings, something he wasn't happy with at Brentford! 

Not for me.

I actually think the situation we're in now is probably one Pearson would be more suited to than the environment that he came in to. 

Difficult to judge Warburton's signings at Rangers. Had to work on a very tight budget and was told at the beginning of the season to focus on loans, as opposed to permenant signings. Foderingham, Hill, Tavenier, Kiernan, Waghorn, Hyndman and Toral have all done well.

Also, didn't Warburton sign the players that got Brentford into the play-offs (Grey, Jota, Tarkowski) and then leave because they wanted to bring in a different scouting network?

Not saying he would be the right choice, just think he'll be in the mix. Swore he had links to Sam Rush too. 

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ninos has a special pair of ninos goggles that only allow him to read selective parts of posts that suits his anti McLaren agenda....The opposite of the rose tinted versions that i wear.

You wear blinders not glasses. 

4 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Ninos has a special pair of ninos goggles that only allow him to read selective parts of posts that suits his anti McLaren agenda....The opposite of the rose tinted versions that i wear.

Mcclaren and the words overachieve or even achieve don't belong in the same paragraph. He's a chronic underachiever.

3 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'm not totally filled with faith in McClaren at this point, but I don't think he's awful.

There are a couple of things that are really bugging me, particularly Bent coming right back in when we'd just started looking like the new line up.might get some joy. Insisting on vydra being on the left when if we are going to play the 4231 his natural position would be behind Nugent. We've hit on something that might be a good way to use our record signing and don't play that and also move Ince away from where he'd been lethal all season. Mac needs to up his game, no doubt.

However, it should be clear, the team at the moment isn't even close to Wassall's team. DazWaz had a fit Thorne, Hughes, Shackell, Keogh and a semblance of hope and spirit.

Its not as simple, in my view as the players are not good enough, McClaren isn't good enough, the players don't want it, there are injuries to good players....its also not a simple fix.

Ultimately, we have enough good football players at the club to be better than this season, but the squad is not right and we need to collectively be calm, evolve the squad, stick with McClaren til the end of the season - there would be nothing to gain by booting him before then anyway except satisfying those who want blood because they've been let down.

I'm up for giving McClaren the summer.

Respectfully RW, your earlier points are spot on but your conclusion doesn't match. He's not very good, his decisions don't make sense so let's give him the summer? The sun isn't going to turn the tumbleweed weed into an apple tree.

10 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Respectfully RW, your earlier points are spot on but your conclusion doesn't match. He's not very good, his decisions don't make sense so let's give him the summer? The sun isn't going to turn the tumbleweed weed into an apple tree.

Well to my mind, he's been in what you might call "bad form" himself and i highlighted a couple of things but then went on to try to say a) it's a bit more complicated than just that and b) I don't think another round of changes will be helpful with a BUT of we do have good players.........in short, I've not totally lost faith in McCaren (there's more wrong than just with him) but not to the extent that I wouldn't give him the chance over the summer. Others look at the same things and are at the "kick it out, right out" point with him.

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Warburton's signings at Rangers have been a disaster. Yes they have.Awful. He signed Barton who was so much the wrong man it was worth it to rangers to pay him off and him not be there any more! The hardest running Barton did at rangers was to rescue his fancy coffee machine. If you have a much better budget than anyone who isn't Celtic but struggle to solidify 3rd and can't understand the negativity after losing an old firm game 5-1....you're clearly not cut out for the rangers job.

Not for me.

I actually think the situation we're in now is probably one Pearson would be more suited to than the environment that he came in to. THIS IS A VERY GOOD POINT!

I used to rate Warburton at Brentford but if he can't handle "characters" like Barton, the pressure of expectation, adapt to get the best out of the players who are doing it and...install a bit of spirit....why would he be cut out to handle working for Chairman Mel.

Just now, RadioactiveWaste said:

I used to rate Warburton at Brentford but if he can't handle "characters" like Barton, the pressure of expectation, adapt to get the best out of the players who are doing it and...install a bit of spirit....why would he be cut out to handle working for Chairman Mel.

Bit harsh to lay the blame for the Barton saga at Warburton's door. The guy kicked off in the dressing room, accusing the players who have helped Rangers climb several divisions, of having no fight. Blame lies at Barton's door for thinking that was a good idea, or would have a good outcome. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Bit harsh to lay the blame for the Barton saga at Warburton's door. The guy kicked off in the dressing room, accusing the players who have helped Rangers climb several divisions, of having no fight. Blame lies at Barton's door for thinking that was a good idea, or would have a good outcome. 

A lot of it does though..........Barton clearly needs a lot of firm management, it wasn't one incident with Barton, it was his whole time there that was bad.

You're right, I have been very harsh on him there, I think it annoyed me because I expected better of Warburton but he never seemed to get to grips with it after they got into the top flight. It could just be the old firm toxicity and he comes back to England and does a fine job free of that. But Warburton at Rangers this year wasn't a good showing.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

A lot of it does though..........Barton clearly needs a lot of firm management, it wasn't one incident with Barton, it was his whole time there that was bad.

You're right, I have been very harsh on him there, I think it annoyed me because I expected better of Warburton but he never seemed to get to grips with it after they got into the top flight. It could just be the old firm toxicity and he comes back to England and does a fine job free of that. But Warburton at Rangers this year wasn't a good showing.

I'm pretty sure things were going pretty well with Barton until the the bust-up after the Celtic game. After that Barton was cast out (by Warburton) and went on a rampage of words. If that had happened at our club, I would want the player to have been cast out too.

Rangers is a very, very hard job. The fans genuinely expected them to be pushing Celtic this season, even with the vast difference in squads. Warburton was trying to build something. A young team, improving the academy, but Rangers fans had absolutely no patience for it. 

When he gets back to management (in the Championship I'd expect), he'll do an excellent job. No doubt about it. Just needs a club who are happy to build, not one who wants instant success. That could well mean we're the wrong club for him!

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

I'm pretty sure things were going pretty well with Barton until the the bust-up after the Celtic game. After that Barton was cast out (by Warburton) and went on a rampage of words. If that had happened at our club, I would want the player to have been cast out too. They really weren't - he was unfit, lacking commitment, at fault for several goals rangers conceeded early on in the season - rangers never even saw a hint of the joey barton who plays for burnley. - it also gradually crept out more than a few of the squad agreed with barton's criticism of Warbuton's management. 

Rangers is a very, very hard job. The fans genuinely expected them to be pushing Celtic this season, even with the vast difference in squads. Warburton was trying to build something. A young team, improving the academy, but Rangers fans had absolutely no patience for it. He signed a few has beens on big money, dropped players who'd severed him well, never got their defence sorted out...........but you're right in that rangers is a tough gig at the best of times (and I'm not generally a fan of rangers fans)...but the truth is Warburton didn't do a good enough job this season.

When he gets back to management (in the Championship I'd expect), he'll do an excellent job. No doubt about it. Just needs a club who are happy to build, not one who wants instant success. That could well mean we're the wrong club for him! - I basically agree with this :thumbsup: just don't sugar coat he was p1$$ poor this season at rangers.

1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

but they'd never been convincing.

I'm sorry but that just isn't true. They'd played a lot of good football. However, they'd had one or two absolutely shocking performances. One game against Hearts and the hammering against Celtic in particular. Guess which ones Rangers fans prefer to talk about? 

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Mcclaren and the words overachieve or even achieve don't belong in the same paragraph. He's a chronic underachiever.

do you even know who Steve McClaren is? Or is your Wikipedia page not working properly?

Archived