Leicester City v Derby County - FA Cup Replay 4th Round

i-Ram

5 minutes ago, LesterRam said:

Thank god @GboroRam couldn't hear that, the honest truth is racism is at every ground throughout the land, doesn't make it right but it is evident, should we throw them all inside no, we just don't have the room or the inclination.

It puts this lad going to jail for hurling abuse into context.

yes it is, its evident in all walks of life sadly not just football games.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Simsy said:

It's turning too political. Even Trump is being brought into the discussion for some reason!

It's a unique chant about our player that is being taken far too seriously by some people. Clearly no offence is meant to anyone and it's one that's been sang for ages now.

I'm with you on this Mark though the political police will crucify me for it:(

Lets just calm down people!

It's hilarious how much of a bogeyman Trump is to some people. He's now responsible for starting dubious Derby chants. Still, it's nice to have another famous fan besides Niall Horan.

I agree that people simply wailing "racism" is unhelpful and annoying, so I'll try to explain why I don't think this chant is a good idea. What puts me off is that it relies entirely on skin colour and the perception that all dark skinned people are exactly the same. Camara doesn't fit the profile of the asylum seekers in the Calais jungle. He's from a completely different part of the world. The asylum seekers in France are largely from the middle east/ horn of Africa/ north Africa. Camara is from West Africa. We may as well start a chant about Camara and his boomerang for all the relevance this has.

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I felt it was an impressive showing considering the context. Poor goals to concede in the end but the effort and desire was there and at times Leicester struggled to get out of their half. We just looked poor up front which for me has been the case all season. Take Ince and Bent out and it's all the more obvious. 

Mitchell: Kicking aside I thought he looked fine and an able young deputy. 6

Christie: Not played for months and it showed. Good defensive work and got forward with usual gusto but decision making and tired legs negated any real threat. 6

Keogh: Not his usual self. Ran us into trouble once or twice, looked sloppy on the ball and could have given a penalty up. One of two players who were playing their 300th+ minute in the space of a week. 6

Shackell: A rock in most situations, made one really telling challenge. We know he's awful with the ball but as a defender he looked solid last night. 7

Lowe: Superb with the ball and really enthuses me about his future. But very raw and that shows up when it comes to positional awareness. 7

Johnson: Dominant early on but often forgets his job and got in the way of his fellow midfielders. We improved once he went off allowing others to use the ball better. 6

De Sart: Best I've seen of him. A little weak for my liking at times but his passing and instinctive nature were signs that give me hope for the rest of the season. Looked positive in possession. 8

Butterfield: When he got into the game he looked the best on the park, he was key to us fighting our way back into the game winning the free kick we scored from. But I wish he'd back himself more, although there was no movement ahead to be fair. Like Keogh, 300+ minutes in a week, looked leggy in ET. 8

Camara: Every which way an impact player. And massively one-footed. I like him though, but feel he needs a prolonged run of games. But I reckon Mac will use him as a late sub. No worse than Russell of late though, so we'll see. 7

Anya: Worked tirelessly and was our chief threat first half. I like him, he offers protection to his full back too. Will look a better player when he has decent targets to find up front. 8

Blackman: Not convincing for me on that one showing. I appreciate it's harsh to judge him on just one game and I'm not going to, but I don't see him getting a run of games to justify his inclusion. Just seems too laid back, needs to back himself and bully players. 6

Vydra: Like Blackman I'm not convinced by him but like Blackman, probably needs games to thrive. Felt he played the 10 role well positionally but chose the wrong option time and again. Awful technique once or twice, cost us the Gray goal. 5

Nugent: Linked things well but was all over the park when we needed a target. Another forward without a shred of pace or threat in behind. It's sad that our recruitment fails so badly when it comes to forwards. Martin is the biggest miss from this squad, not Hughes, not Thorne. Although all three back would be lovely jubbly. 6

Russell: Never noticed him really, but in fairness I was on my phone booking a taxi by then. 5

Onto the hunt for 6th place! UTR!

I think folks being a tad generous to shacks. 

Whilst he did do some good things I would hardly say he was a rock.

-lost king completely and just let him stand goalside in our 6 yards box for the 1st

- backed off too far (alongside rk) and then did a weird sort of attempt at a block for the 2nd.

Otherwise agree with your analysis Warren :thumbsup:

Camara is a Ram

he's got a boomerang

i just don't think you understand 

he's not a refugee

he cost a decent fee

and his car's worth 50 fkn grand 

1 hour ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Camara: Every which way an impact player. And massively one-footed. I like him though, but feel he needs a prolonged run of games. But I reckon Mac will use him as a late sub. No worse than Russell of late though, so we'll see. 7

When you say "No worse than Russell" you're correct. Because Russell was absolute dog ***** last night. How he got on the pitch infront of Ince is beyone me. Russell was the freshest winger we had on the pitch in added time & yet he was the one who looked the worst energy wise, So so lazy. He just couldn't run with the ball, even when he had space in front of him at 2-1 down, he just walked forward with the ball. Pisses me off so much that guy does. Camara deserves the starting place. 

I put this in "What have we Learned?" but it should probably be in here so I'll add it here too:

Anya looked good.

Blackman didn't.

De Sart looked good.

Butterfield didn't.

Lowe looked good.

Everyone else who started did alright I think.

Christie's habit of running into the winger, dragging defenders into them, is really going to hold him back. Defensively he's not the best, but his crossing was great last night.

Keogh looked like his flustered version, and he was next to Shackell. I really wonder why that's a thing.

Lowe was excellent imo, other than getting beat a couple of times by Gray but I don't think we have a LB at the club who wouldn't. Nice one-two off the post too.

Thought De Sart's passing and control was much better in this game, head always up. Doesn't seem to be the best tackler though.

By contrast, I thought Butterfields passing and control was awful.

Camara didn't do a great deal (other than score a goal which was going in before the deflection, imo), but then how many times did we say that about Ince when he had Christie running into him.

Anya was a good outlet, and it was nice to see a winger actually get past people a couple of times.

Our high pressing game early was let down a little by Blackman's statue routine, imo.

Of the subs, I thought Vydra actually looked a lot better than usual yesterday. To be honest, I think he looks twice the player when he's playing with Anya.

Nugent also showcased some of that "intelligent footballer" we've heard about so much. Thought he kept us in control of the ball, brought other people into the play and moved very well. 

Thought Mitchell did alright, should have been sent off maybe, but shouldn't have been put in that position.

Shackell, Johnson and Russell were as they usually are (in Russell's case that's a bad thing).

This is all based off the 90 really. I half watched the first half of ET, and got bored before the second half of ET. 

Most of the Derby lads were dead men walking in ET, which concerns me a little, as I don't think that many of them worked particularly hard.

28 minutes ago, Anon said:

It's hilarious how much of a bogeyman Trump is to some people. He's now responsible for starting dubious Derby chants. Still, it's nice to have another famous fan besides Niall Horan.

I agree that people simply wailing "racism" is unhelpful and annoying, so I'll try to explain why I don't think this chant is a good idea. What puts me off is that it relies entirely on skin colour and the perception that all dark skinned people are exactly the same. Camara doesn't fit the profile of the asylum seekers in the Calais jungle. He's from a completely different part of the world. The asylum seekers in France are largely from the middle east/ horn of Africa/ north Africa. Camara is from West Africa. We may as well start a chant about Camara and his boomerang for all the relevance this has.

Thats the crux of it to me though, it's racial stereotyping and it puts it all into very dodgy ground. That's how freedom of speech works, not that you can say anything but you are trusted not to be a fool. It's not racist per se, but if you let stupid things like this slide it opens up the door to making the problem worse. Also before people talk about the Craig Bryson chant stereotyping him as Scottish, there's a big difference in punching down to punching sideways when it comes to a bit of humour.

Think I would go with Ince, Bent and Anya.

Camara, Vydra and Nugent are good subs who still need to prove themselves.

It's the midfield which worries me. None of them look like getting into the box and scoring goals. It seems a case of 'over to you three'.

Bryson is the closest but his general play isn't as good as the others.

At least Butterfield got a shot off last night which didn't sail over the bar. I'm hoping he keeps trying because he was prolific in the past.

I don't see the chant as racist. It makes no direct reference and insult to where Camara is from or the colour of his skin.

It's more a chant in extremely bad taste about a certain set of circumstances (refugees from any country trying to get to Calais / England).

I wouldn't chant it because it's embarrassing and I don't like singing songs about peoples misfortune and suffering whether that is to our own players, away players or away fans and maybe fans should think a bit more before making these songs up and singing them.

I don't see it as racist though but I can understand the argument for and against.

10 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Think I would go with Ince, Bent and Anya.

Camara, Vydra and Nugent are good subs who still need to prove themselves.

It's the midfield which worries me. None of them look like getting into the box and scoring goals. It seems a case of 'over to you three'.

Bryson is the closest but his general play isn't as good as the others.

At least Butterfield got a shot off last night which didn't sail over the bar. I'm hoping he keeps trying because he was prolific in the past.

Butterfield deliberates too much. He takes so to get into a situation where he can pick out pass, that the opposition anticipate it an cut out the pass. Happened on a number of occasions last night. Another poor signing who looks at best a very average championship player.

Anya looks the best of players recruited in recent times. Clement & Pearson signings generally not good  and I am not sure if Mac is much better in terms of recruitment. Hopefully we can offload Vydra, Blackman & Butterfield albeit at reduced fees which can be put to better use for season 2017-18.

1 hour ago, cosmic said:

Anyone think that maybe Camara might find it offensive?

Well he doesn't seem too upset if you check out his twitter account.

He retweeted a videos taken in the crowd of Derby fans chanting the song and tweeted:

"Thanks for your love and support for 1 years,this goal is for you, now concentration for the championship and And we need your support"

55 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I put this in "What have we Learned?" but it should probably be in here so I'll add it here too:

Anya looked good.

Blackman didn't.

De Sart looked good.

Butterfield didn't.

Lowe looked good.

Everyone else who started did alright I think.

Christie's habit of running into the winger, dragging defenders into them, is really going to hold him back. Defensively he's not the best, but his crossing was great last night.

Keogh looked like his flustered version, and he was next to Shackell. I really wonder why that's a thing.

Lowe was excellent imo, other than getting beat a couple of times by Gray but I don't think we have a LB at the club who wouldn't. Nice one-two off the post too.

Thought De Sart's passing and control was much better in this game, head always up. Doesn't seem to be the best tackler though.

By contrast, I thought Butterfields passing and control was awful.

Camara didn't do a great deal (other than score a goal which was going in before the deflection, imo), but then how many times did we say that about Ince when he had Christie running into him.

Anya was a good outlet, and it was nice to see a winger actually get past people a couple of times.

Our high pressing game early was let down a little by Blackman's statue routine, imo.

Of the subs, I thought Vydra actually looked a lot better than usual yesterday. To be honest, I think he looks twice the player when he's playing with Anya.

Nugent also showcased some of that "intelligent footballer" we've heard about so much. Thought he kept us in control of the ball, brought other people into the play and moved very well. 

Thought Mitchell did alright, should have been sent off maybe, but shouldn't have been put in that position.

Shackell, Johnson and Russell were as they usually are (in Russell's case that's a bad thing).

This is all based off the 90 really. I half watched the first half of ET, and got bored before the second half of ET. 

Most of the Derby lads were dead men walking in ET, which concerns me a little, as I don't think that many of them worked particularly hard.

Regarding Keogh I've highlighted the important bits. 

42 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Thats the crux of it to me though, it's racial stereotyping and it puts it all into very dodgy ground. That's how freedom of speech works, not that you can say anything but you are trusted not to be a fool. It's not racist per se, but if you let stupid things like this slide it opens up the door to making the problem worse. Also before people talk about the Craig Bryson chant stereotyping him as Scottish, there's a big difference in punching down to punching sideways when it comes to a bit of humour.

Generally, I agree, but the way to deal with it is to explain why we disagree with what's been said rather than calling others racist and trying to censor them.

I couldn't disagree more with the section in bold though. I absolutely refuse to infantilise certain cultures, groups, or races by excluding them from criticism or ridicule. There's no such thing as punching down, unless we're making fun of midgets.

8 minutes ago, Ramarena said:

Regarding Keogh I've highlighted the important bits. 

Still think Shackells the common factor.

Keogh looked assured with Christie + Pearce this season.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

When you say "No worse than Russell" you're correct. Because Russell was absolute dog ***** last night. How he got on the pitch infront of Ince is beyone me. Russell was the freshest winger we had on the pitch in added time & yet he was the one who looked the worst energy wise, So so lazy. He just couldn't run with the ball, even when he had space in front of him at 2-1 down, he just walked forward with the ball. Pisses me off so much that guy does. Camara deserves the starting place. 

What a load of tripe.

Archived