Leicester City v Derby County - FA Cup Replay 4th Round

i-Ram

1 hour ago, DerbyMark said:

The Camara chant is racist?

You should've been around in the 70's and 80's...

It's a song of endearment...and I've already used the term folk hero... I just think he's still a long way from justifying it...but I can see the potential's there.

You should've been around in the 70's and 80's...

I was mate - do think I just floated down the river?

It's a song of endearment

Yep, we show affection by alluding to a black fella hailing from Guinea as a Calais refugee found in a car - do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

I just think he's still a long way from justifying it

Well at least we agree on something - he deserves far better in my book.

As for the comments about wanting to be offended, I'm not at all. What I am is ashamed that fellow Rams fans think that this feckin song is fine because it's just 'bantz'. I suppose by your reckoning calling folk Pakis and Chinks is all good too as long as it's 'affectionate'? Feckin risible.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Who's really ignorant..

People who blindly sing a racist chant but are to stupid to realise that it's racist. Simples!

Are you a Trump supporter too by any chance? Been on these boards a couple of seasons and used to gen up from them for a year or two before and I've never seen anything so fecking ignorant posted in all that time. If that offends you I'd have to say I'm pleased.

2 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Who's really ignorant..

Probably you(?) You've not really done much to argue your case beyond saying his argument is a 'load of *******'. 

It's definitely racist. The degree to which it's racist is arguable, but the fact that it's not as overtly racist as songs from years ago is irrelevant and doesn't make it ok.

6 hours ago, sage said:

TV Armchair assessment

Mitchell 7 - Great on crosses and couldn't do anything with the goals. Kicking could be improved and was slow to react to the 1 on 1 with Musa.

Christie 5 - Infuriating. Some decent crosses but lost the ball so many times including for the first goal. If he has playing like that fully fit it would have been a 4

Lowe 6 - Shows tonnes of promise but obviously tired and was so lucky with the chest against the post

Keogh 6 - Lost the ball twice when under pressure and got turned inside out for the 3rd goal. Plenty of good defending though

Shackell 7 Won every tackle and header. Any pass over than a 15 yd one is a disaster though

De Sart 7 Some really good passes, showed good energy over 120 minutes but weak at times

Butterfield 8 Thought he was excellent, kept the ball moving, tracked back, made runs, good shot

Johnson 6 - Gave the ball away didn't look fit, battled away

Camara 5 - Tripe. Kept giving the ball away, weak on the ball. He is a 15 minute super sub against tired legs. Obviously scored but was very lucky.

Anya 7 - Looked our most dangerous player but needs to come inside and shoot occasionally. Worked hard.

Blackman 4 - Insipid. Didn't win a ball all game. Looked ok for 10 minutes when Russell came on.

Vydra 4 -  Gash. Weak on the ball. poor positional sense and workrate. Awful for 3rd goal.

Nugent 6 - Showed energy and linked play up but made no headway

Russell 6 - Brought some control to possession, had a decent shot, but still looks a yard short of pace or confidence

We effectively used the game to get some players back to fitness. Starting bent and Ince would probably have seen us 2 up in the first half   

This is very close to how I saw it too. To add couple opinions:

Mitchell - Extremely lucky with the handball. Hopefully he'll improve his throwing, kicking can't get any worse.

Christie - Naive. 5 might be too generous. How many times he lost the ball when he really shouldn't have? At least 3. Early crossing was just fine but gave way too many excellent counter-attacking options for them.

Keogh - Really struggled. Quite often I've been saying he is good enough in Championship but not good enough to play in PL. It would be easy to say that's the case, but there's another recurring theme: He looks better with Baird on his side.

Shackell - did what Shackell does. Excellent positioning, good clearances and tackles but slow and poor with the ball.

Lowe - loved his aggressiveness. Should've been cooler after playing 1-2 with the post though, no need to be hasty :whistle:. Hope he stays fit.

De Sart - really put his foot in and won his tackles. Boy has some pass on him, very good IMO.

Johnson - I really like him. If he had better first touch and some technical ability, he would be world beater. Now he is just good championship player.

Butters - Poor first half, but after Johnson went off, took control of the whole game. Give him some room and he'll deliver. Excellent at the end of the game 90, tired next 30.

Camara - typical winger, blows hot and cold.

Anya - Our best today along Butters. His crossing and Bent in the box should be good compo. Excellent first half but was closed down earlier on the second. Had to come more central and had less room to run. Ranieri can take the credit for that.

Blackman - Hasn't played at it showed.

Vydra - same as Blackman but with less effort. Hopefully Pearson will get job so he can buy Vydra again.

Nugent - some good movement, but far from being a goal threat. So just like every other attacker.

Russell - basic Russell, this time on the right.

Overall we lost the game on substitutes. They brought in their three best players, we gave minutes to Nugent and Vydra. Hopefully we can grap that playoff-place as this one and next round's Millwall will leave too much to speculate.

I thought we had a chance because Leicester's central defenders were there for the taking for any decent centre forward.

Unfortunately we had Blackman who showed as much passion as a slug. Jogging around and taking up positions in the box more difficult to find than a Where's Wally puzzle.

Vydra and Nugent should always feature before him.

Goddamit I should feature before him.

No complaints about that result. We scored with a fortuitous deflection, should have been down to ten men and may have conceded three penalties. Could have been a lot worse but for the referee.

Anya was excellent but ran out of steam somewhere in the second half. Was amazed to see him, Lowe and Christie play 120 minutes when clearly not match fit yet.

Blackman had his chance and was anonymous. Time to move him on.

Wow, I left this last night and there was some good natured posts about red cards, penalties for handball outside the area, come back this morning and racism has reared its head.

Must admit I didn't know that's what the chant about camara was.

Its not particularly racist, the term racist or racism is thrown around far too easily these days. It is more poor taste, there is nothing funny or endearing in poking fun at the plight of people hoping to get somewhere for a better life. 

So I don't think we should accuse people of racism by chanting it. Its just a poor chant in poor taste and surely we could have come up with something better, I won't be chanting it.

4 hours ago, wixman1884 said:

Probably you(?) You've not really done much to argue your case beyond saying his argument is a 'load of *******'. 

It's definitely racist. The degree to which it's racist is arguable, but the fact that it's not as overtly racist as songs from years ago is irrelevant and doesn't make it ok.

29 minutes ago, admira said:

No complaints about that result. We scored with a fortuitous deflection, should have been down to ten men and may have conceded three penalties. Could have been a lot worse but for the referee.

Anya was excellent but ran out of steam somewhere in the second half. Was amazed to see him, Lowe and Christie play 120 minutes when clearly not match fit yet.

Agree with most of that save for the Blackman bit - one game back from injury under Mac and in his favoured position will only tell us so much. That said, will he be given further starts? I'm not sure he will.

43 minutes ago, admira said:

Did one decent bit of link up play in 2nd half and couldn't quite get his head over an anya cross in 1st half but agree that his name wasn't mentioned for long periods. 

Even so,  I don't think that it was much of a chance for him given the number of other changes across the pitch. We looked like the barbarians at rugby - some individually decent players who'd been told the previous day they were playing and had one 30 minute kickabout together.

Nowt wrong with that in the context of the match but to use it to damn any player would be unfair in my eyes.

8 hours ago, sage said:

I thought he was much better tonight, i think he had to carry the ball waiting for someone to make a run. 

I like Butterfield but when Hughes is not playing he needs to take more responsibility.

His passing is too slow and lacks any purpose. His passes are always to feet or behind his man.  Nothing into space or to get the defence turning. He's still very much stuck in Clement mode.

It was not until very late in the game that he tried doing anything incisive.

5 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

People like you baffle me..

It's turning too political. Even Trump is being brought into the discussion for some reason!

It's a unique chant about our player that is being taken far too seriously by some people. Clearly no offence is meant to anyone and it's one that's been sang for ages now.

I'm with you on this Mark though the political police will crucify me for it:(

Lets just calm down people!

55 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Wow, I left this last night and there was some good natured posts about red cards, penalties for handball outside the area, come back this morning and racism has reared its head.

Its not particularly racist, the term racist or racism is thrown around far too easily these days. It is more poor taste, there is nothing funny or endearing in poking fun at the plight of people hoping to get somewhere for a better life. 

So I don't think we should accuse people of racism by chanting it. Its just a poor chant in poor taste and surely we could have come up with something better, I won't be chanting it.

Exactly, it's just a stupid chant, nothing more, nothing less.

I felt it was an impressive showing considering the context. Poor goals to concede in the end but the effort and desire was there and at times Leicester struggled to get out of their half. We just looked poor up front which for me has been the case all season. Take Ince and Bent out and it's all the more obvious. 

Mitchell: Kicking aside I thought he looked fine and an able young deputy. 6

Christie: Not played for months and it showed. Good defensive work and got forward with usual gusto but decision making and tired legs negated any real threat. 6

Keogh: Not his usual self. Ran us into trouble once or twice, looked sloppy on the ball and could have given a penalty up. One of two players who were playing their 300th+ minute in the space of a week. 6

Shackell: A rock in most situations, made one really telling challenge. We know he's awful with the ball but as a defender he looked solid last night. 7

Lowe: Superb with the ball and really enthuses me about his future. But very raw and that shows up when it comes to positional awareness. 7

Johnson: Dominant early on but often forgets his job and got in the way of his fellow midfielders. We improved once he went off allowing others to use the ball better. 6

De Sart: Best I've seen of him. A little weak for my liking at times but his passing and instinctive nature were signs that give me hope for the rest of the season. Looked positive in possession. 8

Butterfield: When he got into the game he looked the best on the park, he was key to us fighting our way back into the game winning the free kick we scored from. But I wish he'd back himself more, although there was no movement ahead to be fair. Like Keogh, 300+ minutes in a week, looked leggy in ET. 8

Camara: Every which way an impact player. And massively one-footed. I like him though, but feel he needs a prolonged run of games. But I reckon Mac will use him as a late sub. No worse than Russell of late though, so we'll see. 7

Anya: Worked tirelessly and was our chief threat first half. I like him, he offers protection to his full back too. Will look a better player when he has decent targets to find up front. 8

Blackman: Not convincing for me on that one showing. I appreciate it's harsh to judge him on just one game and I'm not going to, but I don't see him getting a run of games to justify his inclusion. Just seems too laid back, needs to back himself and bully players. 6

Vydra: Like Blackman I'm not convinced by him but like Blackman, probably needs games to thrive. Felt he played the 10 role well positionally but chose the wrong option time and again. Awful technique once or twice, cost us the Gray goal. 5

Nugent: Linked things well but was all over the park when we needed a target. Another forward without a shred of pace or threat in behind. It's sad that our recruitment fails so badly when it comes to forwards. Martin is the biggest miss from this squad, not Hughes, not Thorne. Although all three back would be lovely jubbly. 6

Russell: Never noticed him really, but in fairness I was on my phone booking a taxi by then. 5

Onto the hunt for 6th place! UTR!

1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

Thank god @GboroRam couldn't hear that, the honest truth is racism is at every ground throughout the land, doesn't make it right but it is evident, should we throw them all inside no, we just don't have the room or the inclination.

It puts this lad going to jail for hurling abuse into context.

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Anyone think that maybe Camara might find it offensive?

He might, i suppose only he knows, i guess its suggesting because he's from guinea but was living in france then hes a refugee of sorts.

I dont think whoever wrote it meant it to be offensive, nor those who sing it, it just shows ignorance thats all.

I dont see that its endearing in any form.

So I think those suggesting its racist are maybe being a bit over the top, but those that think its fun to chant should maybe just stop and think is it really suitable?

It comes down again to what people consider acceptable at a football match seems different to what they do in every day life, the chants to leeds fans about saville, the chants to brighton fans that are considered homophobic, the chants to rams fans about philpott, people seem to think in a football stadium things become acceptable as banter but how many of then would go upto camara and say 'ayup mate how was life in the refugee camps in calais?' they wouldnt dream of it, likewise they wouldnt go upto someone from brighton in a pub and reference them being gay, nor would they go upto someone in a pub in leeds town center and start suggesting that saville was one of their own.

I personally dont get it, i would never chant anything i would think as offensive, i was ashamed the day our fans chanted about nigel doughty, but its yob mentality and i guess we have to accept it will never change.

Archived