Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

Aaron Mooy is a must for me. Won't play for city and Huddersfield wont get promoted rate they're going. Think we should break the bank to sign him, cash in on Ince and maybe Hughes. Him and Thorne could be a dream combination. Only thing is can see him going to the Prem to a Burnley or team like that.

Other than that don't think we need much, Hanley at CB possibly, Watkins from Exeter, maybe Sako, then get rid of Weimann, Olsson (if Foz fit), Bent, Blackman, Ince, Butterfield, Camara and that should do it.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Aaron Mooy is a must for me. Won't play for city and Huddersfield wont get promoted rate they're going. Think we should break the bank to sign him, cash in on Ince and maybe Hughes. Him and Thorne could be a dream combination. Only thing is can see him going to the Prem to a Burnley or team like that.

Other than that don't think we need much, Hanley at CB possibly, Watkins from Exeter, maybe Sako, then get rid of Weimann, Olsson (if Foz fit), Bent, Blackman, Ince, Butterfield, Camara and that should do it.

So you're quite happy for Ince to go? Wow!

35 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Personally I think Aaron Mooy has been one of the best central midfielder players in this league , regarding Ince going , not too convinced about that. 

Here's a little exercise:

Assuming everyone is fit by the first game of next season (August 17) in our squad. Pick your starting XI (plus 7 subs if necessary). Looking at that team, which positions NEED to be strengthened and players could be bought in for a reasonable price?

Rowett has mentioned that money will be there but he has a remit to reduce the wage bill and trim the bloated squad (which will happen slowly over more than 1 window). If he's going to bring anyone in, I think it will have to be someone who could start day 1, therefore have to be better than what we have...

Ince has scored 14 goals this season, I expect he will finish on 15 for the season.

Under a settled season with Rowett I think he could be pushing 20 goals.

I still cannot forgive the players for some of the woeful displays this season so whoever Rowett decides to sell gets my backing, but I would like to see Ince in his team.

16 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

You mad to sell Ince? Wow.

8 hours ago, r4derby said:

Here's a little exercise:

Assuming everyone is fit by the first game of next season (August 17) in our squad. Pick your starting XI (plus 7 subs if necessary). Looking at that team, which positions NEED to be strengthened and players could be bought in for a reasonable price?

Rowett has mentioned that money will be there but he has a remit to reduce the wage bill and trim the bloated squad (which will happen slowly over more than 1 window). If he's going to bring anyone in, I think it will have to be someone who could start day 1, therefore have to be better than what we have...

Carson
Christie Keogh Pearce Forsyth
Thorne Hughes
Ince Vydra Russell
Martin

Bench: Mitchell, Baird, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Anya, Nugent
Reserves: Roos, Rawson, Lowe, Bryson, Elsnik, Camara
Surplus to requirements: Olsson, Blackman, Bent

Personally, I think we could definitely improve at CB, but that would require off-loading one of our current ones (Pearce and Shackell are worse than Keogh, but Keogh's the player I think we would be best able to sell high on).
I'd also look to add a new LW to compete with or displace Russell, who has been poor for much of the season (although better since Rowett joined) yet has sort of kept his place in the side by default.
I think we could find someone better to play as the AM in this formation, although that could easily be Hughes, Ince or Butterfield rather than a new signing. If we try to improve on Vydra in the transfer market (say Jon Toral), one of our central midfielders or wingers probably becomes surplus to requirements as well in the interest of keeping the squad size down.
Lastly, Thorne is so injury-prone that we need to add a second back-up DM for cheap, either through the loan market or as a free agent.

22 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Carson
Christie Keogh Pearce Forsyth
Thorne Hughes
Ince Vydra Russell
Martin

Bench: Mitchell, Baird, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Anya, Nugent
Reserves: Roos, Rawson, Lowe, Bryson, Elsnik, Camara
Surplus to requirements: Olsson, Blackman, Bent

Personally, I think we could definitely improve at CB, but that would require off-loading one of our current ones (Pearce and Shackell are worse than Keogh, but Keogh's the player I think we would be best able to sell high on).
I'd also look to add a new LW to compete with or displace Russell, who has been poor for much of the season (although better since Rowett joined) yet has sort of kept his place in the side by default.
I think we could find someone better to play as the AM in this formation, although that could easily be Hughes, Ince or Butterfield rather than a new signing. If we try to improve on Vydra in the transfer market (say Jon Toral), one of our central midfielders or wingers probably becomes surplus to requirements as well in the interest of keeping the squad size down.
Lastly, Thorne is so injury-prone that we need to add a second back-up DM for cheap, either through the loan market or as a free agent.

Sensible suggestions, although you are a poster I don't find that hard to agree with. There are a few who would have us buy a new starting XI, or more players that aren't better than what we have.

Toral is an interesting shout, good technical CAM. Would need to offload first I feel. Who would be the CB? Or should I say what type of CB would we need? Big ugly wall / ball player / aerial king?

19 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Sensible suggestions, although you are a poster I don't find that hard to agree with. There are a few who would have us buy a new starting XI, or more players that aren't better than what we have.

Toral is an interesting shout, good technical CAM. Would need to offload first I feel. Who would be the CB? Or should I say what type of CB would we need? Big ugly wall / ball player / aerial king?

I'm a bit torn about the CB, because when I try to think of targets in our price/prestige range, most are typical Championship centre-halves (big ugly walls). Some players that spring to mind are Marc Roberts, Aden Flint, Angus MacDonald and Danny Batth. 

My preference, though, would probably be for a more sophisticated ball player of a centre-half, because I think we miss the passing range that Buxton used to offer. Since he joined the club, I think Keogh has probably played best alongside this sort of player. If Thorne is injured, especially, it helps to have a guy playing deeper who's a really good passer of the ball, because I'm not sure Johnson can do that so well and none of our potential 3 attacking midfielders (Ince, Vydra and Russell) are brilliant at keeping the ball. However CBs like that tend to be found much more easily abroad and my knowledge of second-tier European football isn't very good (hopefully the same can't be said for our scouting department). Also, there are always risks that a player coming from abroad won't acclimatise well, which we saw with Albentosa and to an extent with Camara.

My top target would probably be Huddersfield's Christopher Schindler, assuming they aren't promoted. He's a good passer, left-footed so would complement Keogh (or Pearce), he's proven in the Championship, he's still quite young and Huddersfield's financial situation probably isn't good enough for them to be able to turn down a decent-sized offer.

I'd personally look for: right back, centre back, centre midfielder, winger and then replace the important players should some leave, i.e. Hughes, Ince...etc

RB - I'd like to see someone commanding, Andre Wisdom is obviously an ideal choice. I just don't know whether he would be on Rowett's radar. I think we'd be in for him if McClaren was still here. 

CB - I think we definitely need someone good in the air. Shackell, perhaps, could fill this gap. Even so, we still need to bring in a centre back. Keogh, Pearce, Shackell are fine. We could definitely try and bring someone in younger. 

CM - someone who really, really grafts. Mooy, who has been mentioned, is the ideal candidate but he'll have better options in the summer.

LW - someone who looks similar quality to Ince would be nice. Difficult, but nice. 

I can see an argument for another CAM too. Although, I'd definitely take a gamble on Watkins to play there. Che Adams would be a good signing. I'll be honest and say I think we missed a trick on Clough - he looks a very tidy player.

Player who really impressed me was Ben Pearson of Preston. Deep lying midfielder. Ex man utd, only just signed a new 3.5 year contract at preston though.

Thought he totally ran the game at pp. Looked a really talent and with a bit of bite.

12 hours ago, Kyle guest said:

If Bristol were to go down I think we could get Aden Flint for a smaller fee, he's exactly what we need at the back, a tall commanding centre half, would stop us conceding so many goals to set pieces

I think the fact he scores a lot of goals for a centre half hides the fact he is part of a team that leaks lots of goals.....I am not convinced of how good he is defensively.

11 hours ago, KBB said:

Player who really impressed me was Ben Pearson of Preston. Deep lying midfielder. Ex man utd, only just signed a new 3.5 year contract at preston though.

Thought he totally ran the game at pp. Looked a really talent and with a bit of bite.

Wasn't that the guy who looked like he'd just arrived from 1974?

1 hour ago, maydrakin said:

For me, the centre back quandary will be fixed by Shackell.  Rowett doesn't rely on a heavy possession game and therefore we'll see Shackell with an opportunity to use his main qualities - defending.

Best defender we've had at this club since Stimac , reads the game so well that he barely needs to make challenge. Written off by many on here.

Archived