Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/are-derby-county-chasing-league-two-striker-here-s-what-we-know/story-30333206-detail/story.html

As per @StringerBell

Exeter City striker Ollie Watkins is not on Derby County's wanted list this summer despite reports, the Derby Telegraph understands.

The 21-year-old has impressed at Exeter this season and his goals have helped the Grecians to reach the League Two play-offs.

Exeter drew 3-3 at Carlisle United yesterday in the first leg of their play-off semi-final.

According to a report in The Sun, the Rams are set to make a £3m bid for the player but that is wide of the mark.

Leeds United and Bristol City are also said to be interested.

Watkins was said to be a transfer target for Derby back in January, with Norwich City also reported to be interested.

He has scored 14 goals this season and was recently named the EFL's young player of the year.

Steve Nicholson knows about as much as you and me when it comes to transfers targets, I doubt he'd have a clue who we are after. Just another typical  clickbait journalist.

Nixon is more ITK than this guy, that's saying something 

On Friday, May 12, 2017 at 22:39, Wolfie20 said:

Has Thomas actually agreed - I read that another club (Boro?) had put a similar bid in for him?

Confirmed. 

1 hour ago, Papahet said:

Steve Nicholson knows about as much as you and me when it comes to transfers targets, I doubt he'd have a clue who we are after. Just another typical  clickbait journalist.

Nixon is more ITK than this guy, that's saying something 

There was a time when I used to look at DET articles but just ignore them now. Reliable sources of "unofficial" news for Derby are so now virtually non-existent that I'm reconciled to just reading about things, once happened, on the official site. Of course there's the potential 2-3 day advance warning from ITK people on here.

Is it just DCFC that is so disconnected from the local "newspaper", or is it a countrywide thing?

Woodman 

Moore-Taylor 

Brown 

Sweeney

These are back 4 for Exeter City that started yesterday topram so maybe do little bit of research if I was you. Wheeler is right winger (just in case if you 'don't know) 

2 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Woodman 

Moore-Taylor 

Brown 

Sweeney

These are back 4 for Exeter City that started yesterday topram so maybe do little bit of research if I was you. Wheeler is right winger (just in case if you 'don't know) 

I realised the mistake last night couldn't find to delete it! I really can't get involved in this summer as I really can't see who and how much budget we have to sign players!?

Can't say I've seen much of Exeter recently, surprised at how many that have to be highlighting this kid as a must buy this summer. 

Unless it's purely a stats thing and being young from lower leagues, another Omar Bogle type situation if you like.

1 hour ago, David said:

Can't say I've seen much of Exeter recently, surprised at how many that have to be highlighting this kid as a must buy this summer. 

Unless it's purely a stats thing and being young from lower leagues, another Omar Bogle type situation if you like.

Or a Dele Alli type situation?

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 13:36, hintonsboots said:

Watkins, Wheeler and Moore Taylor should be in the starting line up for Exeter v Carlisle 6.30 ko SS2 red button tonight. Worth a watch .  I reckon Wheeler would be the one we should be looking at.

Moore-Taylor looked decent on Sunday and you're spot on at last bit of your post. 

19 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

Or a Dele Alli type situation?

Or a Liam Dickinson.

Not saying it wouldn't work out though, the Bogle comparison was going back to January when he was the must have. I have doubts many watched Grimsby at the time either.

I really wanted us to sign Watkins but I think the money being asked will most likely dissuade the powers that be. Not saying he's not worth it nor that Exeter deserve it only that it changes a speculative bid into something way more risk-laden. It's a shame because on admittedly limited evidence, he does look to have considerable potential.

I guess when you consider the deal with a calm head you've got to ask yourself what level of talent that kind of money would buy from a European club? Didn't Leicester pick up Mahrez for under 500k, for example?

Be just our luck if he does turn out to be the next Delle Alli, mind...

On 5/16/2017 at 11:32, David said:

Previous EFL young players of the year:

Gareth Bale

Dele Alli

Nathaniel Clyne

Wilfried Zaha

Tom Ince

Will Hughes

Conor Wickham

Michael Kightly

David Nugent

Fabian Delph

Lewis Cook

Ollie Watkins

It's uncanny that all those players have AT LEAST turned out to be very decent Championship players. You'd think there'd at least be one massive flop, wouldn't you. From a pure stats point of view, he's impressive. We already own three of them and they're three of our better players.

If you look at highlights reels you see that he's got the holy trinity of pace, strength and not being ***** on the ball. That's something I don't think we have in any player.

I watched the Exeter game the other day and that was enough for me to be impressed.

He's young and English, will learn off of whichever ones left out of Hughes and Ince.

He's not a foreign lad who'll take a few months to settle in, he's not an "unmotivated" player dropping from the PL and he's not going to be on massive wages.

Understand your skepticism, I just think he's very close to a can't miss signing.

12 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

Previous EFL young players of the year:

Gareth Bale

Dele Alli

Nathaniel Clyne

Wilfried Zaha

Tom Ince

Will Hughes

Conor Wickham

Michael Kightly

David Nugent

Fabian Delph

Lewis Cook

Ollie Watkins

It's uncanny that all those players have AT LEAST turned out to be very decent Championship players. You'd think there'd at least be one massive flop, wouldn't you. From a pure stats point of view, he's impressive. We already own three of them and they're three of our better players.

If you look at highlights reels you see that he's got the holy trinity of pace, strength and not being ***** on the ball. That's something I don't think we have in any player.

I watched the Exeter game the other day and that was enough for me to be impressed.

He's young and English, will learn off of whichever ones left out of Hughes and Ince.

He's not a foreign lad who'll take a few months to settle in, he's not an "unmotivated" player dropping from the PL and he's not going to be on massive wages.

Understand your skepticism, I just think he's very close to a can't miss signing.

I'm not saying Watkins won't make it to the top, I have zero opinion on him because I haven't seen him play at all. Having sat at Moor Farm shaking my head at the possibility Paul Clement using YouTube as a way of deciding who to sign I would be a hypocrite to get on board this hype train.

Obviously there's a huge difference to a professional manager and fan posting online but I still believe you should have some basic knowledge of a player gained from watching several full games.

I don't think I've watched one entire game below the Championship this season, the odd 45 minutes of La Liga that's it.

Thats why the suggestion thread on here makes me laugh, all these lower league players or kids at Arsenal who I assume are classed as wonderkids on Football Manager 2017, maybe I take football too seriously and I'm getting old and boring, I just find it all a bit ridiculous at times. 

Off to get my flatcap the garden needs attending to.

Adding on to my post.

Omar Bogle, remember him in January, I've actually seen him play at a few games, I still couldn't get on board on that hype train.

Scored a couple in his first couple games, all the told you posts were rolling round, why have we gone for the old codger Nugent when Bogle was available.

Bogle 12 starts 3 goals

Nugent 11 starts 6 goals

Any mention of Bogle now?

Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle.... :p

Not sure people realise how much of a step up it is from lower leagues to Championship, at Grimsby the football was awful but the stats from a far look great. 

Having seen us waste millions on proven players people want those bargain gems snatched from clubs way down the Football League.

Will never say it's not possible to step up, but at least watch them play in full 90 minutes games before building the kid up as a must buy

Archived