Ollie Watkins - Signed for Brentford

Arsene Titman

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Manicsheepreacher said:

The DET a few days ago. It's crazy season at the moment though, 24 hour news clickbait yet I still can't stop myself from checking each player we're linked with  : - ) 

Oh right, that's a DET link I didn't see, even though I hate clicking on them!

Edit: 'Exeter City striker Ollie Watkins is not on Derby County's wanted list this summer despite reports, the Derby Telegraph understands.'
Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/exeter-city-forward-ollie-watkins-not-on-derby-county-s-wanted-list/story-30333206-detail/story.html#6LrBUb14WRLu3yRl.99

3 hours ago, David said:

Adding on to my post.

Omar Bogle, remember him in January, I've actually seen him play at a few games, I still couldn't get on board on that hype train.

Scored a couple in his first couple games, all the told you posts were rolling round, why have we gone for the old codger Nugent when Bogle was available.

Bogle 12 starts 3 goals

Nugent 11 starts 6 goals

Any mention of Bogle now?

Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle.... :p

Not sure people realise how much of a step up it is from lower leagues to Championship, at Grimsby the football was awful but the stats from a far look great. 

Having seen us waste millions on proven players people want those bargain gems snatched from clubs way down the Football League.

Will never say it's not possible to step up, but at least watch them play in full 90 minutes games before building the kid up as a must buy

If Bogle had been half as good a player as some posters had suggested then he would have scored enough goals to have kept Wigan in the Championship. Did someone even say we should have bid £10m for him or was that another of my nightmares?

Watkins shows much more potential from the snippets I've seen on telly but I could name a dozen more who have impressed in highlights programmes only to see them fizzle out (sadly, a couple who we've signed).

3 hours ago, David said:

Adding on to my post.

Omar Bogle, remember him in January, I've actually seen him play at a few games, I still couldn't get on board on that hype train.

Scored a couple in his first couple games, all the told you posts were rolling round, why have we gone for the old codger Nugent when Bogle was available.

Bogle 12 starts 3 goals

Nugent 11 starts 6 goals

Any mention of Bogle now?

Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle Bogle.... :p

Not sure people realise how much of a step up it is from lower leagues to Championship, at Grimsby the football was awful but the stats from a far look great. 

Having seen us waste millions on proven players people want those bargain gems snatched from clubs way down the Football League.

Will never say it's not possible to step up, but at least watch them play in full 90 minutes games before building the kid up as a must buy

I saw Bogle play 90 minutes at Exeter this season and JMT had him in his pocket all game. Bogle cost £700,000 as he really was a punt. Watkins will cost 4 times that, because he's a player with far more potential.

2 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Carlisle have one the worst defenses in L2.

Yes, they do! However Ollie has done it against most sides since he broke into the first team. 21 goals in 55 starts for a player who usually isn't up front is pretty good.

3 hours ago, David said:

Yeh, but Jamie Vardy mate - Absolute proof that the ONLY way forward is to take a punt on 20 somethings in non league rather than say, picking up players who have come through the youth systems at a top 6 Prem club and aren't quite going to make the grade there... 

9 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Yeh, but Jamie Vardy mate - Absolute proof that the ONLY way forward is to take a punt on 20 somethings in non league rather than say, picking up players who have come through the youth systems at a top 6 Prem club and aren't quite going to make the grade there... 

Hardly absolute proof though is it? More like a single example of anecdotal evidence.

24 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Who do you suggest signing then and at what level? 

28 minutes ago, Mitsiboy said:

Hardly absolute proof though is it? More like a single example of anecdotal evidence.

My statement about Jamie Vardy was a flippant response to people's attitudes to non/lower leagues of the back of a minute number of success stories

14 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Who do you suggest signing then and at what level? 

I've stated on numerous occasions we should be looking to pick up players who are hitting 22/23 at the top 6 sides in the Premier League and are getting restless - I feel that you're much more likely to have a success rate with a player who's been trained at the top level and not quite made the cut to start for Chelsea than a player who looks fairly decent in League 2...

32 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

My statement about Jamie Vardy was a flippant response to people's attitudes to non/lower leagues of the back of a minute number of success stories

Fair enough! I think both strategies have merit, in the right hands.

38 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I've stated on numerous occasions we should be looking to pick up players who are hitting 22/23 at the top 6 sides in the Premier League and are getting restless - I feel that you're much more likely to have a success rate with a player who's been trained at the top level and not quite made the cut to start for Chelsea than a player who looks fairly decent in League 2...

Solanke?

Wisdom?

Stewart?

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

Delap and Higginbotham spring to mind, even David Jones.

2 hours ago, cheron85 said:

That's Brentford's policy now that EPPP's forced them to close their academy.

Only issue with that is they may well be on huge wages unless they've been released. 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Solanke?

Turned Chelsea down because they're not willing to offer him as much money as he wants!

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if he signs elsewhere when he realises nobody's going to give him the wages he wants.

Archived