Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm almost certain, beyond any reasonable doubt, that should we sell Ince we will not replace him with a player of equal or greater quality. 

If he goes, I will wish him well. No wide player in the division has been as consistent as him over the years and I don't doubt that he feels he's done as much at this level as he possibly can. He has earned the right to play at a higher level. 

I really hope we have someone lined up, because quite frankly, Ince is the only wide player we have who even remotely looks borderline good enough to play in a promotion winning side. 

1 hour ago, hennyhtafc said:

Dunno if you guys have heard,mr ince has approached the bored telling them he wants to leave to play for a right club H.T.A.F.C. He's comming to us hahaha

Hahahah, why would he want to join Huddersfield? Guaranteed relegation, and being forced to work in an area even more grotty than Derby.

Ince is a better left-sided link-up man that Dawkins, a better inside right-forward than Bamford and has shown more as a #10 than Vydra. 

Wassall (I'd say he deserves more credit, but he'd have to be getting credit in the first place) found his best role for me. Left-side. Not the match winner he is on the right, but he was; linking up play, getting Olsson involved and creating and scoring as often as he does scoring if he's on the right. 

Ince is class. If he wants to move up a level I don't blame him. 

If he goes, then it's thanks for your service, Tom. He's contributed more than his fair share in a Derby shirt. Quality player. He's earned the right to play at the highest level. 

1 hour ago, cannable said:

Ince is a better left-sided link-up man that Dawkins, a better inside right-forward than Bamford and has shown more as a #10 than Vydra. 

Wassall (I'd say he deserves more credit, but he'd have to be getting credit in the first place) found his best role for me. Left-side. Not the match winner he is on the right, but he was; linking up play, getting Olsson involved and creating and scoring as often as he does scoring if he's on the right. 

Debateable

Dawkins linked up with Forsyth, Martin, Hughes, Hendrick & anyone else successully for an extended period which was generally a productive period. Ince had a short spell there linking up with Olsson and Bradley Johnson -  a tougher task admittedly, but I do  think that because his major contributions there were setting up Olsson's goal against Forest and the lovely move in the impressive 4-0 win against Hull, and these were seen as big & memorable games, that his overall contribution is embellished.  That said. I agree that Wassall deserves credit for playing him there, and that he looked a lot more natural there than in his other regular positions (because he didn't have to think about what he was doing)

Bamford scored 8 goals for us as a bit-part player, often used as an impact sub, over half a season (21 appearances). The next season for Boro he scored 19 goals and made 3 assists (44 appearances) - 3 more goals but 3 less assists than Ince managed for us this season, and that was in a defensive team who didn't really score many goals. I don't know how many times Bamford played in each position, but I don't imagine they used him as a centre forward that often so presumably he played on the right a fair few times?

He's been better than Vydra as a #10, but Vydra never was, never will be, and has never claimed to be a suitable #10 (if you take that to mean 'creative central attacking player, just behind the forward) so it's not really a valid comparison.

5 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Debateable

Dawkins linked up with Forsyth, Martin, Hughes, Hendrick & anyone else successully for an extended period which was generally a productive period. Ince had a short spell there linking up with Olsson and Bradley Johnson -  a tougher task admittedly, but I do  think that because his major contributions there were setting up Olsson's goal against Forest and the lovely move in the impressive 4-0 win against Hull, and these were seen as big & memorable games, that his overall contribution is embellished.  That said. I agree that Wassall deserves credit for playing him there, and that he looked a lot more natural there than in his other regular positions (because he didn't have to think about what he was doing)

Bamford scored 8 goals for us as a bit-part player, often used as an impact sub, over half a season (21 appearances). The next season for Boro he scored 19 goals and made 3 assists (44 appearances) - 3 more goals but 3 less assists than Ince managed for us this season, and that was in a defensive team who didn't really score many goals. I don't know how many times Bamford played in each position, but I don't imagine they used him as a centre forward that often so presumably he played on the right a fair few times?

He's been better than Vydra as a #10, but Vydra never was, never will be, and has never claimed to be a suitable #10 (if you take that to mean 'creative central attacking player, just behind the forward) so it's not really a valid comparison.

Bamford was played as centre forward at Boro.

23 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Debateable

His general play was exceptional. For a neutral perspective he averaged around a 7.3 in that position on WhoScored. He managed four goals and four assists there. 

23 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Eleven goals and two assists for Ince in 14/15 in 1,694 minutes as opposed to 8 and 3 for Bamford in 1,251. 17 minute per contribution in favour of Bamford, though I would argue Bamford's general play was worse however. He played up front over 20 times that season.

28 minutes ago, Coconut said:

No. Vydra tends to drop into the hole, turn on a sixpence and run. As does Ince in that role. Vydra will play a ball and then look to get in the box. Ince will either do that then create or produce some magic.

42 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Bamford was played as centre forward at Boro.

Do you know that for a fact? TBH if anything that makes me appreciate him even more.

If you played Ince as a centre forward in a team where the manager's (Karanka's) philosophy was the ultimate exemplification of what Clement was trying to achieve here then I highly doubt Ince would have managed to score more than 8-10!

2 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Do you know that for a fact? TBH if anything that makes me appreciate him even more.

If you played Ince as a centre forward in a team where the manager's (Karanka's) philosophy was the ultimate exemplification of what Clement was trying to achieve here then I highly doubt Ince would have managed to score more than 8-10!

I do know that for a fact, he was largely employed at centre forward. 

Ince isn't a striker, Bamford claims to be, so it's a null point.

All this panic and hubris about one talented individual leaving does not mean we suddenly become a dull lifeless side.  No player is irreplaceable and a "lesser" player might just be the right fit for the team.

Look at the best season we had in the last 10 years, with Ward and Russell on the wings and Dawkins/Bamford as backups.

How many of them are better wingers than Ince?

8 hours ago, hennyhtafc said:

this time next week he'll be a town player if not before,you just dont wanna admit tha we're takin your best player

Tell me, how many poty awards he's won since he's been with us???, good player, yes, Best player??? NOPE.

I think the "bored" would be happy if we got 10-15 mill.

Does anybody even think Ince would want the move? A season in the Prem virtually up against it all season? Not really an enticing move for me. I would expect they would have to give him a large payrise which would break any wage structure of theirs. A poor move for him in my eyes but if he wanted to go then £12m for me and we move on.

10 minutes ago, DazzaRam said:

Does anybody even think Ince would want the move? A season in the Prem virtually up against it all season? Not really an enticing move for me. I would expect they would have to give him a large payrise which would break any wage structure of theirs. A poor move for him in my eyes but if he wanted to go then £12m for me and we move on.

To be fair to Tom, he's never chased "the money" has he. He turned down a big pay day at inter to play for hull. He has his head screwed on. I'm not saying he wouldn't go, but it would be difficult to turn down prem football in a team where he would prob be a regular starter for them. 

There's no Guarantee Hudders will come straight back down either, stranger things have happened, look at Burton & Leicester!!.

20 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

There's no Guarantee Hudders will come straight back down either, stranger things have happened, look at Burton & Leicester!!.

If I extend that list to; (EPL)

Bouremouth

Swansea

Watford

Burnley

Palace

Makes me sick that we can't be amongst that group.

There isn't a cat in hell's chance that Ince will want to join Udders.

IF a fee in the £10-15m range is agreed then I expect there'll be stack of more "attractive" options that will likely match that sort of fee - Brighton, Newcastle, Stoke, Swansea, Leicester, Bournemouth to name just a few.

9 minutes ago, Redcar said:

If I extend that list to; (EPL)

Bouremouth

Swansea

Watford

Burnley

Palace

Makes me sick that we can't be amongst that group.

Totally agree, and I think we're a bigger club than all of those, better stadium, fan base and infrastructure. Means nothing though if we can't get out of this league unfortunately.

Archived