David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

28 minutes ago, MMC said:

You'll love Nugent and if you don't it's because you're dour, miserable bar stewards who've never known the touch of a woman or the laughter of children. He's a decent player and a great guy. He'll give you 300% from the first minute to the last minute, he's a decent finisher, he runs the channels incredibly well, for a little man he has a decent bit of strength about him, he's completely unselfish and had the most assists of any player for us last season, equally comfortable at 10 or at striker.

As said his work rate is phenomenal, he will run himself into the ground trying to kick your opponent's CBs. Everyone you play will resent him because he's cheeky and chewy. He's the type of guy that walks back really slowly from set pieces cause he hopes the keeper will forget he's there and put the ball on the floor to take his kick, the type of guy who has a kickaround with the kids and mascots before the game and the first across to the fans. He has a goal per game record at international level too ;)

Cheers mate, I'm hoping he'll help bring that 'bit of character' we have missed the past few seasons. Think it's a very shrewd move.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, MMC said:

You'll love Nugent and if you don't it's because you're dour, miserable bar stewards who've never known the touch of a woman or the laughter of children. He's a decent player and a great guy. He'll give you 300% from the first minute to the last minute, he's a decent finisher, he runs the channels incredibly well, for a little man he has a decent bit of strength about him, he's completely unselfish and had the most assists of any player for us last season, equally comfortable at 10 or at striker.

As said his work rate is phenomenal, he will run himself into the ground trying to kick your opponent's CBs. Everyone you play will resent him because he's cheeky and chewy. He's the type of guy that walks back really slowly from set pieces cause he hopes the keeper will forget he's there and put the ball on the floor to take his kick, the type of guy who has a kickaround with the kids and mascots before the game and the first across to the fans. He has a goal per game record at international level too ;)

Read an article in the Middlesbrough Gazette on Nugents proposed move.  What struck me most wasn't the article itself but the comments which mirror those of MMC.............must admit I'm warming to this one.:thumbsup:

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-striker-david-nugent-closes-12423902

Takes a mean penalty this lad. With careful coaching I think he might score his first career goal from open play.

I jest. I like Nugent, would love this signing. Hopefully it's not at the expense of Chris Martin as I think he suits much better but I would never turn my nose up at signing a hardworking and talented striker like this guy.

2 hours ago, BoroWill said:

I hope we get our rightful recognition if you get promoted this season, we've basically given you two worldies for £2.5m. I'm sure we'll get the 'assist' on your promotion.

Can we have Ben Gibson next please:D

I said some time ago that as a result of Martin's rare play-style (he's not a target man nor a link up striker, he's a cross) his replacement would either be an old-school target man who may not be as good with his feet but will emulate him enough and give us something different or a link-up man who will have to adapt.

I'm open minded about Nugent. 

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I said some time ago that as a result of Martin's rare play-style (he's not a target man nor a link up striker, he's a cross) his replacement would either be an old-school target man who may not be as good with his feet but will emulate him enough and give us something different or a link-up man who will have to adapt.

Almost exactly how I feel about the situation. 

In particular I'm encouraged by Nugent's creativity whilst still being robustly built.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

He's more the latter, a bit of a link-up man. But he's not exactly a pushover either so no reason to believe he's not capable of doing the job.

Interestingly, whoscored lists Nugent as 180cm in height, whereas Chris Martin is a midget in comparison at just 178cm. David Nugent weighs 76kg whereas teeny-tiny Chrissy is only 73kg soaking wet.

So there's that....

Exactly the kind of player we need, won't expect to start every game (much easier to keep happy than lets say Jordan Rhodes etc). Works his socks off and has the experience too. If he does a job for this season, and maybe next if we don't go up then 2 mill will be plenty worthwhile

Nugent is an excellent player at this level and has the track record to match - no doubt about that. Four years ago, it would have been a no-brainer.

But now? Where does he fit in exactly? It's one for McClaren to solve, I guess. We already have a lot of options in his position. So I can only guess someone is moving out.

If this was a loan deal, I'd be completely behind it. It's where we should be operating, in my opinion.

But when you take everything into account - the fee, the reasonably high wages, the players we already have in his position - it seems indulgent on our part.

But if he comes in and scores 5-10 goals and contributes towards us finishing in the top 6, no complaints here! :lol:

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

He's more the latter, a bit of a link-up man. But he's not exactly a pushover either so no reason to believe he's not capable of doing the job.

Interestingly, whoscored lists Nugent as 180cm in height, whereas Chris Martin is a midget in comparison at just 178cm. David Nugent weighs 76kg whereas teeny-tiny Chrissy is only 73kg soaking wet.

So there's that....

I think he's probably a link up man who realised he didn't have a great deal of natural fitness or pace so worked on compensating for it by improving his #9 side of the game. 

A #10 that became a #9, if you will.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

I think he's probably a link up man who realised he didn't have a great deal of natural fitness or pace so worked on compensating for it by improving his #9 side of the game. 

A #9.5. I'm with you. Maybe we can put that on the back of his shirt.

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Nugent is an excellent player at this level and has the track record to match - no doubt about that. Four years ago, it would have been a no-brainer.

But now? Where does he fit in exactly? It's one for McClaren to solve, I guess. We already have a lot of options in his position. So I can only guess someone is moving out.

If this was a loan deal, I'd be completely behind it. It's where we should be operating, in my opinion.

But when you take everything into account - the fee, the reasonably high wages, the players we already have in his position - it seems indulgent on our part.

But if he comes in and scores 5-10 goals and contributes towards us finishing in the top 6, no complaints here! :lol:

Perhaps the options are ones that SM doesn't rate.  Also the fact that loans aren't an option outside of the window will probably lead to clubs stalking up on options rather than leaving themselves short.

7 minutes ago, cannable said:

hmm a #10 who converted to being a number #9, now who does that remind me of....

During the "McClaren Meltdown Season" injuries to Bent and Martin really killed our momentum (and ability to score), so an extra 'proven' championship striker is a sensible addition to the squad.

Just a shame that Vydra (thus far) has been a bit of an expensive flop. 

Just now, Ramshankered said:

During the "McClaren Meltdown Season" injuries to Bent and Martin really killed our momentum (and ability to score), so an extra 'proven' championship striker is a sensible addition to the squad.

Just a shame that Vydra (thus far) has been a bit of an expensive flop. 

We were told, and everyone knew, that he needs to play alongside someone who holds the balls up and plays him in. 

That's what makes Pearsons decision to both sign him AND get rid of Martin utterly mad.

Just now, SaintRam said:

We were told, and everyone knew, that he needs to play alongside someone who holds the balls up and plays him in. 

That's what makes Pearsons decision to both sign him AND get rid of Martin utterly mad.

Yeh I know. Nothing personal against Vydra - just stating present facts. And considering the second wind some of our players are having (Johnson, Baird, etc) I wouldn't be surprised if, eventually, we do find a place for him in the squad (just might be a year or so down the road!). 

Archived