David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

4 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Martin is what we need.

Or someone like him. Has Nugent played as the lone striker? If so I hope he is more effective than Vydra has been so far. Good luck to Nugent and I hope he does well. I am just surprised we haven't gone for the big target man that can hold the ball up which fits the system...unless Martin is coming back....

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think what folk may be missing is that this could be an indication that the club don't expect Martin to come back yet - if that's the case, then Nugent may be a good choice for the next 6 months and to have as an option next season. We can't blow £10m on another striker alongside Vydra and Bent if we're liable to also be lumbered with Martin from the summer (missing out on the rumoured £6m purchase price) and which is increasingly likely as he's destroyed any chance of Fulham wanting to buy him permanently.....

Signing Nugent doesn't close the door on a Martin return. That ball is in Fulham's court. 

We're preparing for life without Martin if Fulham keep hold of the ball.....or should I say wardrobe. 

I know.

So all this I would rather have Martin, McClaren would like both.

£2m is peanuts these days, we're no longer in the Shaun Barker type fee era, I've not received any emails from the club demanding money to help fund the signing, I'm guessing by the reaction of others have? 

Last time McClaren was here fans complained of no plan B, also we have been sussed out, maybe Nugent is plan B and doesn't need to fit in our current system. 

I personally like options, not clones, Nugent will give us another option. For those looking at his recent goalscoring record should take a look at Chris Martin's before Clough signed him.

Untwist those knickers and give the bloke a chance in a Derby shirt, you never know he may score some very important goals for us.

5 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Bent > Nugent

He has been for years... And still is... Bent bagged loads at a point where we were in free-fall... And last year Bent was playing 10 mins here and there... Plus he's now playing in the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league?

I've actually acceded your point about him being a decent backup option until Martin comes back... But he's still not an improvement on what we already have...

I wasn't actually making an argument for who is the better goalscorer either way, I was just pointing out that it's perhaps unfair to use solely total goals scored during that time period as a means of comparison.

I do actually agree that Bent is a better goalscorer, there aren't many players I'd rather have the ball at the feet facing the goal inside the box than Bent. But for his entire career Bent has been almost solely a goal poacher, hanging off the shoulder, looking to be played in. He has done an admirable job this season of adapting his game to get more involved in the play but we do need more from a player in this regard because we currently can't stamp our authority on teams in the final third like we could with Martin there. From what I've seen of Nugent his natural game is to be more involved in the play and my hope is that in our system he could be better at linking the play up than Bent. It may not go down that way but then the worst that happens is we've acquired a cheap, useful rotation option up front.

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Really is 3.5M insane ?

After all Villa spent close to a combined £30M on Kodjia and McCormack. One of whom is 30 and never played at a higher level the championship and the has had only one good season in the championship.

Or what about the combined twelve million we spent on two squad players from Watford, who have in term become squad players for us?

Or the 3.5M we spent on a half season wonder ?

Face it the market has gone nuts and £2-3.5M (the fee in most reports is closer to 2) for a striker with a decent record at this level is peanuts.

I have to agree with this. I'm not a fan of Nugent, but when I see players like Hogan (who I rate) going for 15 million, 3.5 for an England legend looks more reasonable by the minute.

I can't believe he's only 31. He seems to have been around forever.

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

I honestly would like to see that front 3 tried out. It has it all... Height, pace, skill & power.

Could work.

Solved it then... Someone ring Smacca and tell him :D

1 minute ago, David said:

Signing Nugent doesn't close the door on a Martin return. That ball is in Fulham's court. 

We're preparing for life without Martin if Fulham keep hold of the ball.....or should I say wardrobe. 

I know.

£2m is peanuts these days, we're no longer in the Shaun Barker type fee era, I've not received any emails from the club demanding money to help fund the signing, I'm guessing by the reaction of others have? 

Last time McClaren was here fans complained of no plan B, also we have been sussed out, maybe Nugent is plan B and doesn't need to fit in our current system. 

I personally like options, not clones, Nugent will give us another option. For those looking at his recent goalscoring record should take a look at Chris Martin's before Clough signed him.

Untwist those knickers and give the bloke a chance in a Derby shirt, you never know he may score some very important goals for us.

Stop being so reasonable... 

2 minutes ago, David said:

I know.

Nugent could be for plan b with Vydra maybe? I honestly can see that happening. 

Just now, Anon said:

I have to agree with this. I'm not a fan of Nugent, but when I see players like Hogan (who I rate) going for 15 million, 3.5 for an England legend looks more reasonable by the minute.

I can't believe he's only 31. He seems to have been around forever.

:lol: stopit... no really stopit... Oh god I can barely breathe... :lol:

You'll love Nugent and if you don't it's because you're dour, miserable bar stewards who've never known the touch of a woman or the laughter of children. He's a decent player and a great guy. He'll give you 300% from the first minute to the last minute, he's a decent finisher, he runs the channels incredibly well, for a little man he has a decent bit of strength about him, he's completely unselfish and had the most assists of any player for us last season, equally comfortable at 10 or at striker.

As said his work rate is phenomenal, he will run himself into the ground trying to kick your opponent's CBs. Everyone you play will resent him because he's cheeky and chewy. He's the type of guy that walks back really slowly from set pieces cause he hopes the keeper will forget he's there and put the ball on the floor to take his kick, the type of guy who has a kickaround with the kids and mascots before the game and the first across to the fans. He has a goal per game record at international level too ;)

46 minutes ago, eddie said:

It's not at the expense of Martin coming back at all, because we have no right to force the issue with Fulham. Martin is essentially their responsibility until the end of the season (unless they terminate his loan with the agreement of Derby County and Martin).

not sure that this is a fact though

4 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

You've obviously never been to Derby...

14 minutes ago, MMC said:

You'll love Nugent and if you don't it's because you're dour, miserable bar stewards who've never known the touch of a woman or the laughter of children.

or Nottingham unless you are talking about a sister

I remember seeing Nugent about 10 years ago playing for the England under 21s at Pride Park in a 2-2 draw with Spain. I must say that I am surprised that he never had any success at an higher level as he was excellent on that evening, good pace and movement and a goal.  I'm trusting McClaren on this one and reserve judgement until he's got a few games under his belt.

Talking of that 2-2 draw, the England goalkeeper on the night looked a bit suspect, some bloke named Carson.............shows how wrong you can be! :thumbsup:

3 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

I remember seeing Nugent about 10 years ago playing for the England under 21s at Pride Park in a 2-2 draw with Spain. I must say that I am surprised that he never had any success at an higher level as he was excellent on that evening, good pace and movement and a goal.  I'm trusting McClaren on this one and reserve judgement until he's got a few games under his belt.

Talking of that 2-2 draw, the England goalkeeper on the night looked a bit suspect, some bloke named Carson.............shows how wrong you can be! :thumbsup:

sure that wasn't 20 years ago - and really he's 41  - ala Roger Milla ......

Archived