David Nugent - Signed 2 and a half year deal

matty1986

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, brady1993 said:

Your correct but that is a rather shallow view on events because it's entirely skewed by Bent bagging a good number of goals for us during our loan spell where were generating a lot of chances and Nugent getting limited game time for being mostly a rotation option at two sides who didn't score a lot of goals during this time frame.

Bent > Nugent

He has been for years... And still is... Bent bagged loads at a point where we were in free-fall... And last year Bent was playing 10 mins here and there... Plus he's now playing in the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league?

I've actually acceded your point about him being a decent backup option until Martin comes back... But he's still not an improvement on what we already have...

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

It'll be £2 with add ons what really isn't that much in this this current market anymore.

Jesus Christ... I knew Sam Rush was good at negotiating but £2's????????? 

I just spent £3 on a 1/2" subway and I could have got a whole David Nugent. 

I'm doing something wrong in life.

Just now, Cisse said:

I'd rather give a new chance for Vydra than sign Nugent.

Maybe plan b for both players just in case if things doesn't go our way. 

Just now, Simsy said:

Until this is official I am going to voice my disappointment. Would rather Martin back which coming from me says a lot.

When it is made official I will give him a chance. :)

Agreed... I will grumble and moan and b***h away... Until I see him in a Derby shirt... At which point 110% support...

I've had to support much much worse players than Nugent over the years after all...

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

Jesus Christ... I knew Sam Rush was good at negotiating but £2's????????? 

I just spent £3 on a 1/2" subway and I could have got a whole David Nugent. 

I'm doing something wrong in life.

Only a 1/2" subway? That is not even a mouthful.

Just now, Cisse said:

I'd rather give a new chance for Vydra than sign Nugent.

Really? Vydra just doesn't suit the system unfortunately.

He showed this last season at Reading. When him & Blackman played upfront together, they were very dangerous and were in the play off positions. When the decent run ended and Blackman joined us, their manager tried to go to a 4-3-3 system and Vydra went 18+ games without a goal. He just doesn't suit this system.  

1 minute ago, Cisse said:

Nugent would be an awful choice. And 3.5 million is insane.

Really is 3.5M insane ?

After all Villa spent close to a combined £30M on Kodjia and McCormack. One of whom is 30 and never played at a higher level the championship and the has had only one good season in the championship.

Or what about the combined twelve million we spent on two squad players from Watford, who have in term become squad players for us?

Or the 3.5M we spent on a half season wonder ?

Face it the market has gone nuts and £2-3.5M (the fee in most reports is closer to 2) for a striker with a decent record at this level is peanuts.

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

He showed this last season at Reading. When him & Blackman played upfront together, they were very dangerous and were in the play off positions. When the decent run ended and Blackman joined us, their manager tried to go to a 4-3-3 system and Vydra went 18+ games without a goal. He just doesn't suit this system.  

Really?

Because there were many on this forum who claimed Blackman had been playing on the RHS of a front 3 for Reading last season... I was chastised for suggesting (as I'd heard from a Reading fan) that he'd been playing up front...

So maybe the problem we have with Vydra is Blackman isn't fit? Ince, Vydra, Blackmen anyone?

2 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Really?

Because there were many on this forum who claimed Blackman had been playing on the RHS of a front 3 for Reading last season... I was chastised for suggesting (as I'd heard from a Reading fan) that he'd been playing up front...

So maybe the problem we have with Vydra is Blackman isn't fit? Ince, Vydra, Blackmen anyone?

According to transfermarkt he only played 4 times upfront last season for Reading.

Archived