George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

He has had 3 monster Injuries, not pissy niggles. This is the Hughes/Ince threads over again.

Pretending we don't need them, then realising we do.

If you thought we let Hughes go cheap. Thorne going on a free would trump that.

We really do need him you know. Paul McGrath did ok for a few years whilst broken and wrapped in boiler lagging.

Prem maybe a step too far but Thorne as is, cuts it for me in the Champ.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

He's one of a very small number of individuals at the club I would actually pay to watch, so for me a new contract is a must.

His biggest asset in this team is that he is one of very few who gets the ball and his first thought is "forward".

I see and get the clamour from certain quarters for Martin not to leave; for me Thorne is far more valuable.

He and Keogh are the only ones capable of zipping the ball through the thirds.  

18 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

I have never seen such a sick note player as Thorne

Cause his leg just fell apart didn't it, nothing to do with a reckless studs up challenge. Prior to that he played the majority of the season.

5 hours ago, curtains said:

George is our best player and should be given a new contract.

My thoughts exactly. 

If he could sustain any kind of fitness, he'd be able to drag this team into the Premier League on his own. The only player I have seen at this level for Derby that can make the game rotate around him. He isn't overly mobile, nor quick, but he's on a completely different level mentally. 

I don't think he's ever played 80+ minutes for us and not made the most passes, touches, tackles, interceptions...etc in comparison to Hendrick and Hughes, who as good as they were, couldn't even manage that once a month. 

2 hours ago, Ambitious said:

My thoughts exactly. 

If he could sustain any kind of fitness, he'd be able to drag this team into the Premier League on his own. The only player I have seen at this level for Derby that can make the game rotate around him. He isn't overly mobile, nor quick, but he's on a completely different level mentally. 

I don't think he's ever played 80+ minutes for us and not made the most passes, touches, tackles, interceptions...etc in comparison to Hendrick and Hughes, who as good as they were, couldn't even manage that once a month. 

Agree but I think you are being harsh, especially on Hughes, and a midfield trio of Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne has most of what I could wish for.

On Saturday it was great to see Thorne in action again. He has a speed of thought and the technical ability that most of our squad lack and his defensive work was none too shabby.

When United knocked us out of the cup a couple of years ago he provided the sole moment of quality.

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Agree but I think you are being harsh, especially on Hughes, and a midfield trio of Hendrick, Hughes and Thorne has most of what I could wish for.

On Saturday it was great to see Thorne in action again. He has a speed of thought and the technical ability that most of our squad lack and his defensive work was none too shabby.

When United knocked us out of the cup a couple of years ago he provided the sole moment of quality.

Thorne is the Derby player most suited for the Premier league.

Given the other threads, I would point out Martin”s pass to Thorne in that United game was quality too.

16 hours ago, cannable said:

He and Keogh are the only ones capable of zipping the ball through the thirds.  

Spot on, Keogh was one of the others I mentioned who I enjoy watching play. Hasn't always been that way, but this season particularly he's been excellent.

2 hours ago, David said:

I’d be amazed if we are actually negotiating with ALL out of contract in the summer. My understanding is that would include the following: 

Thorne

Forsyth

Russell

Hanson

Roos

Baird

Shackell

Bent

Why would we be in negotiations with the last 3/4? I can somewhat understand Baird and less so Roos. But Shackell and Bent?

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Why would we be in negotiations with the last 3/4? I can somewhat understand Baird and less so Roos. But Shackell and Bent?

"We are prepared to offer you an one year extension at £100 p/w, take it or leave it."

:ph34r:

I'm assuming some of these negotiations include ending the contracts earlier than planned if the players concerned can get themselves fixed up on permanent deals elsewhere during the January window. These may include those who don't appear to be in Rowetts' plans - either in the short or longer term - Bent, Anya and Shackell possibly?

52 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I’d be amazed if we are actually negotiating with ALL out of contract in the summer. My understanding is that would include the following: 

Thorne

Forsyth

Russell

Hanson

Roos

Baird

Shackell

Bent

Maybe the negotiation is they can leave before the summer.

Archived