West Brom v Derby County (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I think excluding PL teams was briefly discussed at its formation, but it really would devalue it more than it already is.

When play offs originally formed i think it was 3 from the division above and 1 from the higher division, back then there was no wembley final though, im sure something similar happens in scotland still.

I think they have it about right now with the play offs.

Yes there's a relegation/promotion play off between the SPL and championship.

I don't think we should bring that in in England though - there's no question that the top 6 championship sides are capable as clubs of hosting premier league matches and to be honest, if over a season you've proved yourselves not worthy of being in the top league why should you get a redemption over a side that's proved itself better than the league it's just played in? (play offs are a bit of a swizz anyway when 3rd place really deserve the promotion, but it's a money spinner and keeps the league alive for more teams for longer each season)

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Paul71 said:

They reckoned it was 11 yards on MOTD..but surely as it's measured by a ref usind steps its never going to be spot on, sometimes it will be less sometimes more.

11 yards is approximately 10 metres. Were not out of Europe yet so that's okay. Anyway, they should use a tape measure like they do in bowls. Shouldn't be too difficult with that shaving foam they use.

27 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

11 yards is approximately 10 metres. Were not out of Europe yet so that's okay. Anyway, they should use a tape measure like they do in bowls. Shouldn't be too difficult with that shaving foam they use.

This Baggie winge really makes me laugh. Oh so just for once a ref was hard line on the distance and top end of tolerance as well. I am willing to bet that 75% of all shooting range free kicks have walls that encroach down to 6 or 7 yards and it affects all of us in equal measure. Sounds like a great game where one team, The Mighty Rams ... took its chances better than the other and won the day ... Next round here we come ! 

You know if you're debating the distance of a wall on TV?

You're boring 

It was 2-1 Tony. You lost 2-1 after you "battered" us. You had 90 mins to win a game. 

And you lost the game because of a wall? 

Wow! That's a bellend level 5 certificate for you and all the chaps at BBC that cared enough to measure it. 

I thought there was a free kick before a free kick before a corner before a throw in that came after a goal kick that was wrongly given before Phillips scored. He wouldn't have scored that goal if the correct decision was made...

Oh! It still says 2-1 to Derby!!

2 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Not out of Europe? I'm going to ignore brexit and assume you mean European football via us winning the FA cup. Love the optimism. Seeing as West Brom are 8th, we must now be 8th favourites to win. 

56 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Not out of Europe? I'm going to ignore brexit and assume you mean European football via us winning the FA cup. Love the optimism. Seeing as West Brom are 8th, we must now be 8th favourites to win. 

Good point.

RE Super Shackell and his stupendous performance - it would seem that yesterday's match was about reading the game and being in place to intercept the ball, something which Shackell is one of the best at. He was up against Condom, who isn't exactly the fastest striker around, so Shackell's lack of pace wasn't so much of an issue. Having read the whole thread - that's not sad, just that I wasn't able to get a ticket - there are equal posts for and against his distribution, which was his major weakness before he was injured. All he seemed able to do was hoof the ball somewhere upfield, but usually nowhere near a team mate. But effectively this was a match where his strengths stood out. Whether or not he could be as effective against a quicker striker, or where he needs to be able to play the ball out to a Derby player remains to be seen. The important thing is that he had an absolute stormer of a game. More please, Mr S!

As regards Pullis's whinging - watch replays of Bent's goal, and you will see that the defender didn't step away from Bent - he didn't have a chance to put in a challenge because Bent got his shot away before the defender had chance to think about  it. And for Ince's goal, it didn't matter where the wall was, Tom bent the ball so far it virtually went right around the wall. It was helped by the defender ducking out of the way. Blame him, Pullet. It was also helped by the keeper standing totally in the wrong place. Blame him as well, Pullis, in fact blame the rest of your team for not being able to score despite all those shots. Oh, and blame yourself, because yet another Pullis team ended up lumping long, high balls into the area, and it still doesn't work!

And as regards de Sart - as many others have said, George Thorne wasn't available for sale either. Also, as the Middlesborough poster has said, de Sart is behind about two and a half thousand other players for his place at Middlesborough, so is worth putting a bid in.

7 hours ago, Bessie1 said:

My first time at The Hawthorns - are their fans always so quiet?  Couldn't work out where (if anywhere) their singing and standing fans are located.  Must be depressing being outsung every game

The ones in the far corner where the drum was are usually in the left hand half of the Smethwick Road end where the Derby fans were.

Due to FA Cup regulations they had to give us the full stand and relocate their singing section, which was dispersed around the ground. Still poor though.

yesterday was their second highest attendance of the season, which is even more embarrassing.

Archived