West Brom v Derby County (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Gritters said:

I thought at times we were the better team but over 90 mins West Brom had the possession and were a threat for the last 30 mins. 

If you look at their goal it was a gift from us. Then after we took the lead their only threat was to lump balls into the penalty area. We dealt with it very well. I'm glad we were at the other end.

It was a great display away from home at a solid Prem team, especially with Hughes and Butterfield missing plus the likes of Hanson and Vernam involved. I like the Hawthorns too. Great acoustics. Proper ground.

10 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

On there wba forum one post says our support was poor :lol:

Seriously? Their fans sang for about five minutes after they scored and even then we matched them. Shortly afterwards they started fighting amongst themselves then they sloped off before the end. Our fans were class and supported the team from start to a glorious, if nervy, finish.

Well done yesterday lads. The Baggies are a decent side in the Prem and to give Pulis some credit despite his grumbling at least he respected the competition and your team by putting out a fair strength side.

It also bodes well for a club's league ambitions that when an upper championship side shows itself to be capable of performing on the day at a level to get a win against top flight sides; we got wins against both the Manchester sides and took Liverpool to a penalty shoot out in the 2 seasons we got to the PO final and finally went up.

To give Boro fan's view on De Sart, I'm not surprised he did well yesterday. Aside from needing a little match fitness due to lack of competitive game time this season, he was tipped for big things before we bought him and has been a tidy and classy player when he played for us. He's pretty likely to do a good job for you this campaign, especially when his full match-fitness returns.

The only reason he isn't getting his game time at Boro is that unfortunately for him DM and CB (yes, he can play there too if needed and his versatility was a big factor in us signing him) are two of the most well-stocked positions in our side. As far as CB goes, with Gibbo doing so well and clicking with Callum Chambers, despite being our defensive lynchpin just 8 months ago Ayala can hardly get his game now and for DM he's got Clayton (our player of the season last campaign) De Roon (biggest outlay of the summer, Atalanta's player of the season when we got him) Forshaw (who most Boro fans rate as our player of this season so far) and of course Leadbitter (club captain, though admittedly just back from injury) all to contend with.

So it's imperative to Julien's continued development that he get game time. Derby was probably one of the best clubs for him to do this as you're playing at the highest level it's feasible to send him to, the level of a championship top 6 side (obviously we're hardly going to loan him to one of our rivals in the lower half of the Prem and he'd hardly get any game time in the upper Prem at all which would make his loan to them pointless) your approach seems to have shifted a little since we last played; you have probably the best defence in the league after Brighton and put much more of emphasis on keeping games tight and the role of the DM in shielding the back line now like we have since AK arrived.

Throw in Steve's obvious links to our club and the loan move really was a no-brainer.

13 minutes ago, TimRam said:

If we do go up, shows we can mix it with a decent Premiership side.

Disagree. Exeter drew 0-0 at Old Trafford a few years back but I've no doubt if they were in the Prem they'd finish rock bottom by some considerable distance.

I see what your saying but it's a one off game. Earlier we were mullered by Liverpool in the league cup. Carlisle got a 1-1 against us too but I'd hazard a guess they would finish bottom of the Championship if they played in it this year.

1 minute ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Disagree. Exeter drew 0-0 at Old Trafford a few years back but I've no doubt if they were in the Prem they'd finish rock bottom by some considerable distance.

I see what your saying but it's a one off game. Earlier we were mullered by Liverpool in the league cup. Carlisle got a 1-1 against us too but I'd hazard a guess they would finish bottom of the Championship if they played in it this year.

WBA put out a strong side and everyone expected us to be hammered (myself included). We are a different team now compared to that Liverpool game. Hope this shows we have definately turned a corner.

21 minutes ago, TimRam said:

MOTD tried to put a damper on it...they tried to make out the wall for that free kick was positioned too far away. Also reminded the viewers we had the lowest goals scored total in the Championship.

League form shouldnt figure into it it's a one off cup game and its whoever wants it most will win and it was us so screw match of day they can go back bumming Chelsea and Spurs etc on Saturday ;) 

Sith Happens
24 minutes ago, TimRam said:

MOTD tried to put a damper on it...they tried to make out the wall for that free kick was positioned too far away. Also reminded the viewers we had the lowest goals scored total in the Championship.

Always annoys me on MOTD how the focus always seems to be on how the top team lost the game rather than how the 'underdog' won it, this is even more obvious if the pundit has an affiliation with the top team.

Archived