West Brom v Derby County (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

39 minutes ago, TimRam said:

WBA put out a strong side and everyone expected us to be hammered (myself included). We are a different team now compared to that Liverpool game. Hope this shows we have definately turned a corner.

I'd definitely agree with you Tim that we are a much more competitive side now than the one which faced Liverpool. I'd even go so far as to say that side managed by Pearson would have lost that game yesterday no doubts yet we have the same personnel (De Sart excluded).

I didn't expect us to be hammered yesterday. I was quite confident we could get a draw at best. The mid to lower Prem teams aren't that much better than top half Championship teams IMO. Yes they are better but the gulf isn't as big as people make out sometimes.

We've definately turned a corner though I agree.

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Always annoys me on MOTD how the focus always seems to be on how the top team lost the game rather than how the 'underdog' won it, this is even more obvious if the pundit has an affiliation with the top team.

I'm just glad no Derby fans called 606 last night due to the fans boycott of the BBC after being completely overlooked by the corporation (apart from RDO) since 1975. 

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

MOTD tried to put a damper on it...they tried to make out the wall for that free kick was positioned too far away. Also reminded the viewers we had the lowest goals scored total in the Championship.

I dont believe them. The wall was the correct distance. We've had rulers to the tele and everything. 

A much more creative group of people producing the programme would have had a real go at reporting the allure of the cup by showing a packed away end out boinging the baggies.

(But we're stuck with Maniche and his puerile sniping.)

50 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

Always annoys me on MOTD how the focus always seems to be on how the top team lost the game rather than how the 'underdog' won it, this is even more obvious if the pundit has an affiliation with the top team.

Not just them sky BT all of them are the same. Every opposition of the TVs favourites are irrelevant and are there the be decimated credit is never given bar two seconds of oh well they did well.

Lol at MOTD coverage last night.

you could almost hear them in a meeting saying, "let's start with a couple of low league teams, non league if possible", "but what about man utd and arsenal?", "don't worry. Even though those games are being televised in their entirety on other channels, we will still give them 10 minutes of coverage each"

did anyone seriously think it would be any different? The fact they introduced the section it's our game in by saying "let's look how some premier league sides got on" should tell you all you need to know.

15 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

A much more creative group of people producing the programme would have had a real go at reporting the allure of the cup by showing a packed away end out boinging the baggies.

(But we're stuck with Maniche and his puerile sniping.)

Just watched highlights and thought coverage of us was fine until Maniche at the end said 'great result for Derby who are the 2nd lowest scorers in the champ'.

Rather than puerile sniping, I think this is just an attempt to play up the 'shock' factor of the result. They mentioned wba had won 6 out of last 10 but not we had won 8 out of 11.

I think people gets a little precious about a supposed anti-Derby feeling in the media. Guess it's the same for loads of other clubs who are outside the top few clubs.

Even then, I imagine that fans of say Chelsea think they are treated unfairly.

The bbc were always massively pro Liverpool for years, especially when Hansen and Lawreson were the pundits. Made if more funnier to see them win little for the last 25 years. 

While I am on my fa cup soapbox, whose idea was it to put west ham v man city on tv? Why not have a lower league team v league team? west ham v city was always going to have one outcome. I expect the next fa cup game will have 2 premiership teams playing each other. booo. Anways back on topic. Great result Derby and excellent performance from what I have heard! Next quote from bbc in 4th round will be a reminder of Derbys low points total in the Premiership. I will take bets on that one.

The FA cup is administered by the Football Association and should include all the teams affiliated to the Association.  The League Cup is administered by the English Football League and should include all but the Premiership clubs.  There should also be playoff for the third relegation place in all the divisions. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons. 

Sith Happens
5 minutes ago, unclej said:

The FA cup is administered by the Football Association and should include all the teams affiliated to the Association.  The League Cup is administered by the English Football League and should include all but the Premiership clubs.  There should also be playoff for the third relegation place in all the divisions. That would put the cat amongst the pigeons. 

I think excluding PL teams was briefly discussed at its formation, but it really would devalue it more than it already is.

When play offs originally formed i think it was 3 from the division above and 1 from the higher division, back then there was no wembley final though, im sure something similar happens in scotland still.

I think they have it about right now with the play offs.

The tv companies, sponsors and fa want to make as much money/sell adverts/viewer rating, they will always show man Utd, every game, every round (something like 50+ consecutive fa cup games televised) as they can sell the feeds to multiple countries. Don't forget how many "hardcore" man Utd fans there are in Africa, China, Japan.

we, in England, knowing the history of the cup, love seeing lower league clubs having a go, but do people in China want to watch barrow v Stockport?

money is the problem here.

19 hours ago, B4ev6is said:

I told you guys derby would win

I have to say B4... I had the pleasure of you standing behind me yesterday. It was very enjoyable... you even gave me a free shower throughout the game. 

So thank you!

glad you enjoyed your day.

3 hours ago, TimRam said:

MOTD tried to put a damper on it...they tried to make out the wall for that free kick was positioned too far away. Also reminded the viewers we had the lowest goals scored total in the Championship.

The stripes on the pitch are 6m wide.

it looked pretty much 10m to me based on that.

Sith Happens

They reckoned it was 11 yards on MOTD..but surely as it's measured by a ref usind steps its never going to be spot on, sometimes it will be less sometimes more.

4 hours ago, ipad1977 said:

Well done yesterday lads. The Baggies are a decent side in the Prem and to give Pulis some credit despite his grumbling at least he respected the competition and your team by putting out a fair strength side.

It also bodes well for a club's league ambitions that when an upper championship side shows itself to be capable of performing on the day at a level to get a win against top flight sides; we got wins against both the Manchester sides and took Liverpool to a penalty shoot out in the 2 seasons we got to the PO final and finally went up.

To give Boro fan's view on De Sart, I'm not surprised he did well yesterday. Aside from needing a little match fitness due to lack of competitive game time this season, he was tipped for big things before we bought him and has been a tidy and classy player when he played for us. He's pretty likely to do a good job for you this campaign, especially when his full match-fitness returns.

The only reason he isn't getting his game time at Boro is that unfortunately for him DM and CB (yes, he can play there too if needed and his versatility was a big factor in us signing him) are two of the most well-stocked positions in our side. As far as CB goes, with Gibbo doing so well and clicking with Callum Chambers, despite being our defensive lynchpin just 8 months ago Ayala can hardly get his game now and for DM he's got Clayton (our player of the season last campaign) De Roon (biggest outlay of the summer, Atalanta's player of the season when we got him) Forshaw (who most Boro fans rate as our player of this season so far) and of course Leadbitter (club captain, though admittedly just back from injury) all to contend with.

So it's imperative to Julien's continued development that he get game time. Derby was probably one of the best clubs for him to do this as you're playing at the highest level it's feasible to send him to, the level of a championship top 6 side (obviously we're hardly going to loan him to one of our rivals in the lower half of the Prem and he'd hardly get any game time in the upper Prem at all which would make his loan to them pointless) your approach seems to have shifted a little since we last played; you have probably the best defence in the league after Brighton and put much more of emphasis on keeping games tight and the role of the DM in shielding the back line now like we have since AK arrived.

Throw in Steve's obvious links to our club and the loan move really was a no-brainer.

Based on what I saw I wouldn't even wait to try to make De Sart a perm transfer if we can. Really looked like a Thorne double. 

Archived