West Brom v Derby County (FA Cup) - Match Day Thread

RamsPolls

West Bromwich Albion v Derby County - 07/01/2017 - The Hawthorns - 3pm Kick off.

Thanks to @reveldevil for the solid 2 months of match day threads! 

Build up

The game on paper doesn't look that promising for the Rams, players like Solomon Rondon & Matt Phillips on fire for them at the moment. We shouldn't go into this game with any expectation of us dominating play like we normally like to do. I know Pulis sets his teams up for the counter attack but I highly doubt this will be the case against a lower league opposition.  

They have just beaten Hull City 3-1 yesterday. This was a very good result for them especially as they were 1-0 down at HT. They are 8th in the premier league which isn't to be looked over at this stage of the season. Pulis is really having an excellent season with the Baggies. 

We have just come off the back of a 3-0 spanking by Norwich. Wasn't at the game myself as I refuse to pay £35+ for a ticket. From what I have heard and read, we just weren't at the races that day. We barely had hold of the ball and couldn't put more than 2 passes together in one move. We know we can play a lot better and we probably won't see a worse performance all season. But it is our first loss since October. This isn't a time to panic and jump ship. We need to brush ourselves down and move on.

Teams

In regards to the team selections, Hughes is suspended. Butterfield may have his red card rescinded, It all depends on how the appeal goes with the FA. Everyone who I have spoke to on twitter thinks that Mac will make a lot of changes to the Starting XI for this game. I am not so sure. If we are realistic, the only way we will be getting promoted this year will be through the play offs, Which is pretty much a lottery at the end of the season. So we could have a decent cup run this year without thinking about keeping top 2 places which we have had to do the last 2 seasons. Mac might take this view and play a fairly strong team to get us progressing through the cup!

West Brom may take a different view... This is due to their position in the Premier league at the moment. 8th in the Prem isn't to be sniffed at, They have done very well this season and have the chance to reach Europe with a decent run of games in the latter stage of the season. I'm not sure Pulis will be focusing on the cup as much as they have been in previous years!

Prediction - West Bromwich Albion 2-2 Derby County

UP THE RAMS! 

• Replies 624
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure there will be changes on both sides making this difficult to predict. Yes WBA are a solid Prem side but I certainly think we have a decent opportunity of winning there.

They're a big club with decent players and so are we.

I saw Stourbridge beat Northampton Town earlier in the competition so anything is possible.

I would be really happy with a replay though I guess.

Perfect timing really, I'm not one for the cup when promotion is the main target. Means Hughes can sit out this one and return for Leeds, with Butterfield's sending off we'd be pretty much screwed.

Start Mitchell, Shackell, Hanson, Weimann, Camara, Vydra and bring a few academy lads through, minutes for Vernam and Timi. 

We haven't rotated much over Christmas and it shows. Give as many of the first team a rest as possible. 

The Cup can wait for another year.

Id rather we be sensible about this game and rest a few tired legs

If we're honest WBA are better than us especially under pulis

If our best 11 play to the best of their ability and they are slightly off it we might win but there is virtually zero chance we would win the FA cup.

We need to make the playoffs and there is a chance of going up. I blame the wigan & Norwich result on tired legs. I think in hindsight we got the management of the players wrong. 

The side that played at brum was pretty much the same side that started at wigan then we rotated for norwich. In hindsight we should have rotated for wigan and then had players fresh for norwich. 

Id like to see us rest some key players ince etc for WBA, not wholesale changes so we get absolutely pumped but rest a few, play with men behind the ball and maybe lose 1-0 or 2-0 and the result goes under the radar on match of the day etc 

Wholesale changes please. I'm with David on this one(never thought I'd say that). Need to rest up for the league. Even with our best team I would very,very highly doubt that we'd beat west brom in their current form.

Mitchell

Stabana  Rawson    Shackell    Baird(can't think of anyone else)

Hanson

Bryson         Guy

Camara        Vernam          Weimann

Gonna need to change it up significantly here, can't see anything other than an effecient dismantling by West Brom with their quality and the number of players we've got out here. It's a good chance to see where certain fringe players stand though and give them a chance to prove themselves. I'd look at something like this

Mitchell

Baird Rawson Shackell Macdonald

Hanson

Bryson Elsnik/Lansbury 

Camara Martin Weimann

45 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Mitchell

Stabana  Rawson    Shackell    Baird(can't think of anyone else)

Hanson

Bryson         Guy

Camara        Vernam          Weimann

Like the look of that team for Saturday.

I would just put Elsnik instead of Guy.

37 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Strong team please. 

I have to agree. 

You cannot drop your best players against the toughest opposition they might face! What kind of message is that to send out to the players that have dragged us from relegation to promotion battles in little over 2 months! Your reward for that is being dumped in the FA Cup against Prem opposition!

I am going and looking forward to it -3rd round of the cup! 

Carson

baird rawson Pearce shackell 

Hanson 

ince bryson Johnson camara

Vydra

all based on availability both Baird and shackell can do the job needed at full back, rawson give him a go. Hanson or Johnson can swop as needed and Vydra and camara just show us that you can do something (mac may rest Ince and chuck in wieman or Blackman) 

7 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm guessing at

Carson, Baird, Keogh, Pearce, Shackell Hanson, Bryson, Johnson, Ince, Bent, Weimann

Unless we get incoming

Take Keogh or Pearce off one of them will have a rest then Shackell plays. Hanson for LB and Elsnik for CM. Callum Guy for subs. 

Don't forget Weimann can actually play there too(CM) 

27 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Take Keogh or Pearce off one of them will have a rest then Shackell plays. Hanson for LB and Elsnik for CM. Callum Guy for subs. 

Don't forget Weimann can actually play there too(CM) 

Is that what you think Mac will do or what you think we should go for?

I bet WBA will play a similar shadow team

1 minute ago, Alpha said:

Is that what you think Mac will do or what you think we should go for?

I bet WBA will play a similar shadow team

We should go for. 

Archived