Derby vs Wigan - matchday thread.

Rev

1 hour ago, Millenniumram said:

No not at all, but it is very difficult for the fans to fire up when the team isn't giving them anything, I did think towards the end we did get better once we started to look a little more threatening however. It's a viscous circle, but it all starts with the players starting the game complacently and thinking it's in the bag, once they do that and we start struggling then building up the atmosphere is difficult

I presume you meant vicious, Millenium. But actually, viscous is rather appropriate for our play today. Viscous is a really thick liquid through which it is difficult to move, a bit like wading through treacle, which is how we played for most of the game, particularly with how we passed, or failed to pass the ball.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DavesaRam said:

I presume you meant vicious, Millenium. But actually, viscous is rather appropriate for our play today. Viscous is a really thick liquid through which it is difficult to move, a bit like wading through treacle, which is how we played for most of the game, particularly with how we passed, or failed to pass the ball.

Indeed I did mean vicious haha, viscous brings back rather terrible gcse chemistry memories:lol:

2 hours ago, LazloW said:

I was there so not basing this on RD's views, but it was a game where Wigan came to play anti-football and did it very well. Shame we couldn't break them. down but it is very difficult to find space when 21 men are in one half of the pitch. 

Desperately needed a centre forward who can hold it up and bring others into the game... maybe we'll have one soon :ph34r:

Disappointing but not disaster.

Who could it be? :p

57 minutes ago, caymanram said:

I know lots of people hate to hear this but in truth we miss Martin, or his type of player, a lot. It was key to how we played our attractive football. He was the focal point or fulcrumand held the ball up and brought midfield players into the forward third. Bent just can't and won't do that. He pro a lay touched the ball 8 times today...

Bent today was appalling. By a country mile our worst player. Everyone had an off day but second half made up the lost ground with renewed effort.

Meanwhile I watched Bent make one run and touch the ball 3 times in half an hour after the restart.

I did feel a bit for the midfield having to trot yards with the ball whilst trying to fend off Wigan players and that was partly because Bent didn't move. The options and outlets just weren't there today.

We know how most sides are going to play against us at home yet we still look unconvincing and lacking creativity when Ince isn't producing.

In some games this season we've not been at our best, struggled against a compact defence yet managed to get goals out of nothing or at the right times to see off the opposition. Today we just had no answer.

Quite why we insist on trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle against compact defences when there is no space is beyond me. We looked far more likely to score when Anya et al got round the back and posed problems with crosses.

Jaaskelainen and Carson proved what quality keepers they are.

Ok so it was a terrible performance but its another point and clean sheet off the back of such an amazing run so it's dead harsh to be critical. Yes I have been critical of Bent but he's entitled to a bad game , its just the frustrating laziness about him today when most others were at least having a go.

Why do Derby fans insist on singing you're effin **** to opponents also? Wigan have won the FA Cup, been in Europe and the Premier League for a good few years. Wouldn't mind a bit of that myself.

On top of that they comfortably held us and had the best chance of the match with a squad assembled on a fraction of ours. Ridiculous chant and really embarrassing.

Anyway. Bit negative so apologies but just put it down to players thinking they could just rock up and turn Wigan over, complete lack of effort and ideas first half anyway and just one of those days.

No real cause for complaints unless we get three or four of these performances on the bounce. I'm sure Mac and the lads will be getting ready for the Norwich test which could go any way.

Great crowd turnout again and kid loved the fireworks.

COYR!!

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Performances, games and seasons get paired and assessed together obviously. As do players performances in subsequent and previous games. It's called form. That's what we do in football we talk about form. What a moron. 

A mid season 0-0 home draw against a team in the relegation zone can't ever be upgraded to a good result because of what may happen in the next game, as you have suggested. Getting offended and resorting to name-calling isn't going to change that fact. 

It's not a problem, no team is going to play well in every game, however our lack of goals is becoming a worrying long-term trend.  If we get back to winning then today will be rightly just considered a blip. Form is just a general assessment of performance over a period of time, it can't be use to hide a bad result or alter it's merits. We played badly today, end of story....put it behind us and concentrate on Norwich.

You wouldn't want to be a Wigan away supporter, would you? Watching that dross on a regular basis. There's no wonder there's so few of them. 

I thought we got them pinned back a little too early ( and easily) as this played to their strengths, not ours. Our movement overall wasn't good enough and we just didn’t have the little bit of extra skill to break that down.

Too many of our players were below par but even so we had two first half chances that both fell to Russell -  the second of which he should really have got on target after lovely play by Anya. If one of those had been scored it would have been a different and much better game of football. 

As it was, Wigan in the first half looked the ones more likely to score -quick on the counter-attack  with both Grigg and Wildschutt's pace causing problems and the corner where Grigg hit the post seemed to be played out in slow motion as our defence -Bent apart - played statues! Carson kept the game alive for us at times and his save from Jacobs was excellent. 

I hoped the second half would get better but the players and the crowd seemed bereft of passion and Ince's free kick apart there were few chances of note at either end.

Hughes played for 80 minutes like a man trying not to concede his 10th booking and then got one anyway - not particularly bright from him! He might as well have gone for it as usual.

Butterfield was also a bit below par but when he went off Bryson did no better and maybe a bit worse. Similarly Bent and Vydra. I would like to see more desire to grab the shirt from these players on the fringes. 

So, a muted end to 2016 and I hope we show more fighting spirit on Monday - it's a long round trip to Norwich. Let's hope Pearce and Johnson are back to their warrior-like best and Bryson gives McClaren a selection problem for the Leeds game!

Will Brady have time to appeal his red card before then? Let's hope not. 

53 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Bent today was appalling. By a country mile our worst player. Everyone had an off day but second half made up the lost ground with renewed effort.

Meanwhile I watched Bent make one run and touch the ball 3 times in half an hour after the restart.

I did feel a bit for the midfield having to trot yards with the ball whilst trying to fend off Wigan players and that was partly because Bent didn't move. The options and outlets just weren't there today.

We know how most sides are going to play against us at home yet we still look unconvincing and lacking creativity when Ince isn't producing.

In some games this season we've not been at our best, struggled against a compact defence yet managed to get goals out of nothing or at the right times to see off the opposition. Today we just had no answer.

Quite why we insist on trying to thread the ball through the eye of a needle against compact defences when there is no space is beyond me. We looked far more likely to score when Anya et al got round the back and posed problems with crosses.

Jaaskelainen and Carson proved what quality keepers they are.

Ok so it was a terrible performance but its another point and clean sheet off the back of such an amazing run so it's dead harsh to be critical. Yes I have been critical of Bent but he's entitled to a bad game , its just the frustrating laziness about him today when most others were at least having a go.

Why do Derby fans insist on singing you're effin **** to opponents also? Wigan have won the FA Cup, been in Europe and the Premier League for a good few years. Wouldn't mind a bit of that myself.

On top of that they comfortably held us and had the best chance of the match with a squad assembled on a fraction of ours. Ridiculous chant and really embarrassing.

Anyway. Bit negative so apologies but just put it down to players thinking they could just rock up and turn Wigan over, complete lack of effort and ideas first half anyway and just one of those days.

No real cause for complaints unless we get three or four of these performances on the bounce. I'm sure Mac and the lads will be getting ready for the Norwich test which could go any way.

Great crowd turnout again and kid loved the fireworks.

COYR!!

Agree.

bent was poor and today just highlighted even more how lacking a football brain he is.

Tbf he made constant runs across their back 4 moving their centre halfs about but  it was all while we were stroking the ball about on the halfway line with two banks of 4 at least. Esteem him and the ball.

he most know it's very seldom we go directly over the top so all the time he's trying to peel off the shoulder is a complete waste of everyone's time.

the crazy thing is in a few games, in fits and starts he has showed, held it up and laid it off ... in a roundabout fashion but today when we needed our focal point to show for it he was just was nowhere

It's not his fame to show and hold it up and that was highlighted today 

I miss Chris

3 hours ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

And I see Kelly Brook in the papers every week and fancy a bit of a go but that's not the reality I live in. Get a sense of perspective and look at where we have improved since Pearson left. Stop bleating about everything.

Ha ha. Quality.

17 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

In fact only Reading (0-3) and Newcastle (0-2) have beat them by more than one goal, Wigans problems are more offensively than defensively 

We ar the joint third lower scorers in the league and we've only scored four more than Wigan. Today showed exactly why.

Clean sheets not last forever and Ince cannot work his magic every game (Free kick was a beauty and nearly delivered for us again).

The sooner we get creativity and goals into this team (Winger, striker and a midfielder) the better.

Interest quote from Mac after the game "People don't know what is about to happen" when discussing Martin. That suggest he does know!

1 minute ago, rammieib said:

We ar the joint third lower scorers in the league and we've only scored four more than Wigan. Today showed exactly why.

Clean sheets not last forever and Ince cannot work his magic every game (Free kick was a beauty and nearly delivered for us again).

The sooner we get creativity and goals into this team (Winger, striker and a midfielder) the better.

Interest quote from Mac after the game "People don't know what is about to happen" when discussing Martin. That suggest he does know!

I would be shocked if a wide man and striker do not come/return/whatever/

7 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

In fact only Reading (0-3) and Newcastle (0-2) have beat them by more than one goal, Wigans problems are more offensively than defensively 

I thought Wigan did ok today. They looked capable of causing us some real problems on the break. Certainly looked more dangerous than Forest and Brum put together.

They came for a draw with the hope of maybe nicking a win on the break, as most teams seem to do this season, and nearly got it.

We need to start looking at how we can try new ideas to try and break these sides down early as a few of them have left PP this season with points having been nothing more than well organised.

More teams will come and continue to try and frustrate.

That said, we've not been firing on all cylinders in a few of our home games under Mac but managed to get the results so hopefully today will just be one of those days.

Credit to Wigan though. They defended well and at least tried to come out with the ball when they had the opportunity unlike Birmingham for example.

Archived