Derby vs Wigan - matchday thread.

Rev

Derby County vs Wigan Athletic, 31st Dec 2016, 3pm at Pride Park.

Since beating Huddersfield away at the end of November, our next opponent's have managed to lose 5 games on the trot, starting with a 0-1 reverse in this games opposite fixture.

However their away form is markedly better than their home form, and sees them top 10 in the away form table over the last 6 games, despite 2 straight losses, so overconfidence is misplaced.

Having said that, our form is nothing short of sensational recently, and a win here would give us a scarcely believable 28 points out of 30.

The game also gives us an opportunity to say a final farewell to 2 Rams legends, firstly Sir Jake Buxton, football genius and all round lovable fella, lets hope he does a lap of honour at the end.

Secondly Will Hughes, who is off to the PL because we couldn't come up with a better song than Wigan have for a substitute striker!

Seriously is Hughesy, Hughesy is the best we can do?

Finally, maybe Mel could ask the Wigan owner over pre match Foie Gras how he keeps such a low profile, although seeing as Dave Whelan (he broke his leg in a FA Cup final, but doesn't like to talk about it) has just installed a statue of himself lifting the FA Cup outside the self named DW Stadium, maybe not!

Happy new Year Rams fans!

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would maybe rest Bent; simply because at his age we need to more carefully manage his fitness etc.  Maybe give Blackman or Vydra a start. Can always change it around at HT if needed.

Possibly swap Butterfield for Bryson just to rest Butterfield (Hughes was rested against Fulham so now Butterfield's turn).  

I'd keep the back 4 as is (Anya for Olsson).

I would maybe like Weimann for Russell but don;t want too many changes so would leave that for now

18 minutes ago, feisty said:

I would maybe rest Bent; simply because at his age we need to more carefully manage his fitness etc.  Maybe give Blackman or Vydra a start. Can always change it around at HT if needed.

Possibly swap Butterfield for Bryson just to rest Butterfield (Hughes was rested against Fulham so now Butterfield's turn).  

I'd keep the back 4 as is (Anya for Olsson).

I would maybe like Weimann for Russell but don;t want too many changes so would leave that for now

Hughes wasn't rested as such. He had too much pain in his hand. And Butterfield has started every game under Mac so it would be strange if he rested him now. Not against the idea myself as I like Bryson, but I imagine that considering the record breaking run we are on Mac will be loathe to alter much. 

Wigan will park the bus I'm sure of that, but I expect we will have too much for them, even if we do make changes.

21 hours ago, reveldevil said:

Derby County vs Wigan Athletic, 31st Dec 2016, 3pm at Pride Park.

Since beating Huddersfield away at the end of November, our next opponent's have managed to lose 5 games on the trot, starting with a 0-1 reverse in this games opposite fixture.

However their away form is markedly better than their home form, and sees them top 10 in the away form table over the last 6 games, despite 2 straight losses, so overconfidence is misplaced.

Having said that, our form is nothing short of sensational recently, and a win here would give us a scarcely believable 28 points out of 30.

The game also gives us an opportunity to say a final farewell to 2 Rams legends, firstly Sir Jake Buxton, football genius and all round lovable fella, lets hope he does a lap of honour at the end.

Secondly Will Hughes, who is off to the PL because we couldn't come up with a better song than Wigan have for a substitute striker!

Seriously is Hughesy, Hughesy is the best we can do?

Finally, maybe Mel could ask the Wigan owner over pre match Foie Gras how he keeps such a low profile, although seeing as Dave Whelan (he broke his leg in a FA Cup final, but doesn't like to talk about it) has just installed a statue of himself lifting the FA Cup outside the self named DW Stadium, maybe not!

Happy new Year Rams fans!

Didn't realise Dave Whalen played in the FA cup final, you'll be telling me Daz the ram played football next 

53 minutes ago, Firstyeoman said:

Has the rev got the record for starting the threads. I'm sure someone will check it, keep it up son, you're doing fine!

Don't know. 

Since we have been linked with Wildschut, may as well see how he plays against us. 

Always find it hard to judge a player in a lower end of the table team as teams set up differently against top teams and them. For example Wigan will park the bus against us and play more open against Rotherham. 

Teams around us are now getting momentum .. 

Three points here is essential .. 

Are you reading this Steve ?

Reading and Huddersfield .. .. I hope David Wagner flaffs off back to Germany lol .. 

Reading are tin pot city .... can't see them maintaining this little run ..  

Leeeeds ... Monk is lookin the biz there .. they're lookin good . .. I really can see a DCFC v Leeds play off scenario .. 

Cheff Massive - Not sure .. I reckon we're betta .. but they beat the mags .. in gerodieland .. so .. 

Wigan struggling with injuries:

Former Manchester United midfielder ruled out of Derby game

Nick Powell was a £6m signing for Manchester United but looks set to miss Wigan's Championship clash with Derby County on New Year's Eve.

Powell, the former Manchester United man who scored a sensational goal on his Latics debut, is struggling with a hamstring injury that looks set to keep him out until the new year.

"Nick wasn't fit when I arrived at the club, and he's not really got going," Wigan boss Warren Joyce told the Evening Post. "We want to get him right and absolutely bang on, and able to contribute – not just edge through bits of games because he's not right."

The 22-year-old joined United from Crewe for £6m back in 2012 but failed to make an impact for the Premier League side. He was loaned to Wigan during the 2014-14 season and the Latics signed him permanently in the summer.
Joyce, who worked with Powell at United, feels that he has been unlucky in the past. He said: "When he first came to Wigan on loan and he was fully fit, playing wide left, he did really well.

"Sometimes when he's not been as fortunate for people to give him that chance, it's almost a certainty, an inevitability, that he'd pick up injuries. The main thing now is to get Nick 100 per cent fit...and the challenge to him is to be believe in what he's doing."
Joyce could be without several other key players for Saturday's game, too.
On-loan centre-back Reece Burke has returned to West Ham to have a hip problem assessed while Craig Morgan (groin) has joined long-term defensive absentees Reece James (ankle) and Donervon Daniels (knee).
In midfield the situation is even worse. David Perkins (hamstring), Shaun MacDonald (thigh), Alex Gilbey (ankle), Luke Garbutt (back) and Powell (hamstring) were all unavailable for training this week.
Another young West Ham loanee, Kyle Knoyle, is working his way back to full fitness after a suffering a badly-broken elbow in his first training session, while goalkeeper Adam Bogdan has returned to parent club Liverpool after knee ligament damage cut short his season-long loan deal.

Archived