Rams in enemy territory

North East Ram

Just found out my 5 year old nephew won't go anywhere in his native near dirties area (aka West Yorkshire) in anything but the Rams kit I optimistically bought him. He's never even been to Derby / Derbyshire (yet) but he seems to me to be a Ram off the old block. He was transfixed when I was watching the 70s footage earlier. Just need to persuade his folks to let me take him to PP to give him his rights of passage. It's what any decent uncle should do!

Has anyone else been able to get their family and friends on the right track before the dark side beckons?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

when i briefly lived in west bridgeford i used to go jogging in Derby shirts.

I'm just testing to see if a "clique" exists on these pages  lol 

Hey TIMBUKTOO .. You following DCFC from the sub sahara then ? 

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Just found out my 5 year old nephew won't go anywhere in his native near dirties area (aka West Yorkshire) in anything but the Rams kit I optimistically bought him. He's never even been to Derby / Derbyshire (yet) but he seems to me to be a Ram off the old block. He was transfixed when I was watching the 70s footage earlier. Just need to persuade his folks to let me take him to PP to give him his rights of passage. It's what any decent uncle should do!

Has anyone else been able to get their family and friends on the right track before the dark side beckons?

My uncle is the reason I support Derby, still the person I have my season ticket with today. It is your duty to get him to PP on the 27th, if I could fall in love with a Derby side including Manel and Adam Bolder, he'll have no problem with this one.

There used to be a big lad that walked around Newcastle-Under-Lyme town centre in a Derby shirt most days, without upsetting anyone I don't think he was all there... I'd give him an "up the Rams" whenever I saw him and he'd scream it down the High Street, upsetting all the Stokies, top bloke.

Always wore my Derby shirt and the old retro mid 90s retro jackets in SE London. Never had a problem - just friendly banter - with local fans unless I come across Millwall pond life. Wearing the shirt in Dubai/Bahrain/Qatar just makes people scratch their heads. They can't fathom how I support a team not in the prem top six.

My daughters newish boyfriend is from Brisbane oz and he mentioned he had never been to a proper football match and wanted to see a premiership game , me and my daughter being die hard Derby fans informed him premiership was the diluted version of real English football and I got an extra ticket for Fulham last Saturday ,, Derby fans were absolute quality at Fulham and he got to see and experience real fans , he loved it ,,, a new ram is born and it's confirmed that if any grandchildren were to come along in the future they would be brought up as Rams ( as if there was ever going to be any other way with me as a grandad ) and the name and legend of Derby county has another Aussie to spread the word ,,, did I say ramsfans were real quality at Fulham ? Filled with pride standing amongst them watching him wide eyed thinking he'd not seen or heard anything like us

5 hours ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

I told my daughter  and her boyfriend.  If they ever have children they will be rams full stop.

Both my son and daughter were born in the south, so I had to use continuous bribery and persuasion to keep them from straying like sheep to one of the more 'glamorous' clubs that all of their friends 'supported'.  We even managed to convert one of my son's friends to the B&W side.  And now, my daughter's career is benefiting from her allegiance, as her Big Boss is an avid DCFC fan. Karma!      

I travel a lot with business and wherever I find myself on a power station in a more remote part of the world (this year has included Peru, India and Mexico) and I require the staff  to bring me data readings from the plant, I insist that every report is concluded with the words "Up The Rams"

My brother in law and in fact,all of the wives side are ardent wolves fans and his poor kids go to any and every social event from wedding to funerals dressed as tiny sad steve bulls....

We have his youngest for the day on the 31st however,so guess who will be going to the Wigan game with us and returning home in the black and white army's junior strip?

He will probably be put up for adoption on the spot

1 hour ago, Zurich Ram said:

I travel a lot with business and wherever I find myself on a power station in a more remote part of the world (this year has included Peru, India and Mexico) and I require the staff  to bring me data readings from the plant, I insist that every report is concluded with the words "Up The Rams"

Any Aggreko sites visited ZR?

I grew up in Northamptonshire - not exactly enemy territory but I'm definitely no local lad. Was a very tough choice choosing between Derby and Rushden & Diamonds...

Definitely managed to get most of my Year 6 class in inner city London following the Rams as their Championship team - one of them has even been religiously following our results since McClaren returned.

No idea how good they are at reading and writing though, but that's not important.

I live near Newark. Walked around from the age of 10 in a Derby shirt with

I

Forest

On the back. My dad protected me through my teens. Taught me how not to keep my mouth shut when Derby were on in the pub, never lie about being a Derby fan when confronted etc, but didnt like me getting a tatoo of the ram at the age of 16. He's been spat on outside Argos etc. I've been threatened in pub toilets, out in town, but now I frequent the Black Dog in Grantham where the Forest lads meet up before/after getting the bus to away days. Owners a Foret fan. No problems. 

Not so many "enemies" over here in Florida but everyone does ask me which soccer team I support as soon as they hear my accent and always assume it will be a massive premiershite team.

I still wear the kappa kits that still look brand new and I get a lot of people asking me if they are  Mexican team....I have started saying yes they are and making up details...keeps me amused. 

31 minutes ago, Duracell said:

I grew up in Northamptonshire - not exactly enemy territory but I'm definitely no local lad. Was a very tough choice choosing between Derby and Rushden & Diamonds...

Definitely managed to get most of my Year 6 class in inner city London following the Rams as their Championship team - one of them has even been religiously following our results since McClaren returned.

No idea how good they are at reading and writing though, but that's not important.

We were quite good at Reading but we've not played Writing yet

Archived