Southgate. Has he done enough?

Muskination

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sold by any means on this, but I do hope he does well i really do.

However, what i dont get is why give him a 4 year contract? Surely give him 18 months to end of world cup with options then depending on outcome.

Setting themselves up again for expensive pay offs.

Best of a bad bunch? Most other english options have been tried and failed.

Managerial grave yard for most. in my footballing memory nobody has come away from the job without their reputation in tatters and Done much else. Maybe robson but was he was before my time & sven got the city job before pottering about. Hoddle, Keegan, mclaren, capello, & big sam we're all finished. Big mac had to go abroad to rebuild his reputation

Just Shows what a joke the national side is when gareth southgates the best option & i cant think of many better realistic options for the job. 

I hope he succeeds i just cant see it ive lost intrest in the national side  

Love to see who was on the FA's shortlist for Southgate to be the best candiadate. Utter shambles. This is supposed to be the top job in English football yet we've given it to someone that's only managed a 29% win ratio at Boro.

Yes I'm ignoring the U21's as Stuart Pearce and David Platt have decent records at that level.

Stuart Pearce even has a better record at club level than Southgate. Exactly.

The Worlds biggest football tournament and we have Gareth Southgate in charge. 

Let's hope we don't go to penalties....

11 hours ago, David said:

Love to see who was on the FA's shortlist for Southgate to be the best candiadate. Utter shambles. This is supposed to be the top job in English football yet we've given it to someone that's only managed a 29% win ratio at Boro.

Yes I'm ignoring the U21's as Stuart Pearce and David Platt have decent records at that level.

Stuart Pearce even has a better record at club level than Southgate. Exactly.

The Worlds biggest football tournament and we have Gareth Southgate in charge. 

Let's hope we don't go to penalties....

Don't forget Peter Taylor as well

It said on SkySports they only wanted to offer a 2 year contract but he wanted 4.

Cant blame him really. Surely they could have stood firm though, there are other managers out there.

The obvious cure to the nations apathy about England: hire a bloke who was only anywhere near the job because he's got a nice face and the FA think he's a 'good lad'. A good lad. A good Watford lad.

Although in fairness to him, he has the best win percentage of any England U21s manager ever. By a long way as well with 81%. That obviously doesn't count Boothroyd as he's only had two games and he won them both.

12 minutes ago, Tombo said:

The obvious cure to the nations apathy about England: hire a bloke who was only anywhere near the job because he's got a nice face and the FA think he's a 'good lad'. A good lad. A good Watford lad.

Although in fairness to him, he has the best win percentage of any England U21s manager ever. By a long way as well with 81%. That obviously doesn't count Boothroyd as he's only had two games and he won them both.

Under 21's lost their last game against France 3-2.

Outside of England, Spain, Germany, France, Italy the U21 level is generally poor, so whilst his record looks impressive it's really not as Aidy Bothroyd will now go on to show.

Many of Southgate's wins were 1-0's against Kazakhstan, Norway, USA, Sweden, Belarus, Czech Republic....

A wins a win but they haven't been convincing. 

When Southgate did punditry he was always in the Andy Townsend school of thought

"put it in the mixer, get it down the line, if in doubt boot it out, let your opponent know you're there (kick him), put it in the right areas (even if they're empty), hang it up there for the big man, pace down the wings, whipping it in..." that sort of stuff

Is that how he manages? Are England about to be a percentage side? A team that makes very few mistakes but never take risks and have zero imagination?

I don't think I've watched any England game since... Wales in the Euros? 

A superb appointment, at last a manager who recognises the shortcomings of England at the highest level, and will set about the job with pride, and a sense of realism of what can be achieved with the resources available to him.

We won't win anything under him, we just aren't good enough, but he'll leave us in a far better state than he inherited.

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

A superb appointment, at last a manager who recognises the shortcomings of England at the highest level, and will set about the job with pride, and a sense of realism of what can be achieved with the resources available to him.

We won't win anything under him, we just aren't good enough, but he'll leave us in a far better state than he inherited.

Interesting viewpoint. I've not seen anyone be that enthusiastic about him - how do you think he'll improve the side from regularly qualifiers/tournament underachievers?

Despite our dismal performances in Brazil & France, Hodgson did oversee the development of a nucleus of good (if not world beating) young players

2 hours ago, Alpha said:

When Southgate did punditry he was always in the Andy Townsend school of thought

"put it in the mixer, get it down the line, if in doubt boot it out, let your opponent know you're there (kick him), put it in the right areas (even if they're empty), hang it up there for the big man, pace down the wings, whipping it in..." that sort of stuff

Is that how he manages? Are England about to be a percentage side? A team that makes very few mistakes but never take risks and have zero imagination?

I don't think I've watched any England game since... Wales in the Euros? 

Well seeing as he played a team with two holding midfielders (one of which is practically a centre back), an aging out of form Wayne Rooney as the central attacking midfielder and shoved an actually inform attacking midfielder (for a club that's flying) in Lallana out on the wing against a crap scotland side. I'd say prepare for some 'safe' football.

To be fair to him, he tried to put a few markers down in his first press conference.

- rooney : being phased out 

- style : people need to want to watch and there was a nod to the u21s approach 

- on field leadership . needs development . 

But actions speak louder than words and my suspicion remains we're going to see a side built around Jordan henderson et al . 

It seems clear that the national side is not the priority for the fa suits at present. they're all going to be scrambling to prove that they're not in any way to be held to account for the historical sex abuse issues in football .  whilst all that rumbles on the England team will be a minor sideshow . 

On 02/12/2016 at 04:46, HantsRam said:

To be fair to him, he tried to put a few markers down in his first press conference.

- rooney : being phased out 

- style : people need to want to watch and there was a nod to the u21s approach 

- on field leadership . needs development . 

But actions speak louder than words and my suspicion remains we're going to see a side built around Jordan henderson et al . 

It seems clear that the national side is not the priority for the fa suits at present. they're all going to be scrambling to prove that they're not in any way to be held to account for the historical sex abuse issues in football .  whilst all that rumbles on the England team will be a minor sideshow . 

Just out of interest is a side 'built around Henderson...' a bad thing?

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Just out of interest is a side 'built around Henderson...' a bad thing?

My personal view is that henderson fits the mould of a "useful " rather than especially gifted player .  he's also in his mid 20s so wouldn't expect him to last more than 5 or 6 years in the engine room . 

Hence whilst I have no problem with him being in the team I hope to see some better players graduating from the youth system that's been invested in heavily, sooner rather than later.

Archived