Southgate. Has he done enough?

Muskination

Brian Clough said that he could manage the England team in his spare time whilst still managing a league club.

Despite his immense ability the FA went ahead and appointed.......

Ron Greenwood 

With decisions like that as a precedent it's no wonder that we've witnessed a 50 year slide since 1966.

So yeah, might as well appoint Southgate as anyone else.

The FA don't seem to take minor qualities like proven experience, qualifications, ability, man management skills, etc, into account. I'm totally at a loss to guess what they think when choosing a manager.

They act like a Championship side and just pick whoever might be available at the time.

P.S. Not Pearson please! Or I'll start supporting Wales!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really can't see any other (British) option than Southgate.

English managers need to stop feel sorry for not getting the top jobs and do something about it.  Why do teams like Chelsea pick managers such as Mourinho, Conte etc?  It is because they have won leagues and competed in the Champions League. Why would they go for someone like Allardyce who has poddled around the mid to lower end of the Premier League and never managed in the top club competition.  Until English managers are willing to do something about this we will never have strong contenders for the England job.

Ideally someone like Eddie Howe would make his next move to someone like Porto or Monaco or PSV, get some decent experience winning things and then go for a top job like Arsenal or Chelsea.  It is all about stepping up in manageable steps.  Unfortunately (and it is the same with our players) the Premier League pays too much for too little so why will managers make that leap?  The only manager I can think of that has been brave enough to do this is Steve McClaren and unfortunately he was found lacking (for whatever reason) in the job he took in Germany.

It's a bit depressing to think our expectations are now so low that our reaction is basically 'meh, we're not going to win anything anyway, so we might as well have Southgate.'

sounds like the start of Mike Bassett. But then he did end up fluking us to the semis. 

I haven't yet heard or read any compelling justification for why the national team manager/coach should be English as opposed to the best qualified person available. Not to say that either of our overseas choices have been especially successful.

if the reason was that an Englishman would want it more as it is the pinnacle of his career then why is it that England's manager is routinely the highest paid national manager of those in post at tournaments?

Personally I would also demand the FA have some approval rights of the assistants - to stop such as that talentless tw@t Sammy Lee popping up on yet one more bench....

I don't see why it has to be a full time job. I think Brian Clough was right; you could manage a club full time and still do the England job. After all, you are still getting to see all the English players in the premier league up close every week, plus he'd have assistants that could go to the matches he can't get to to give scouting reports on the other players.

It would at least open the door to a lot more candidates.

Southgate is as good as any other English candidate imo - the only other one I can think of is Pardew, but we would have to get him just before the World Cup, because he usually has good starts at his clubs and then rapidly goes downhill. There is no-one else to choose from.

If we widened the search to the British Isles in general I would give Chris Hughton a shot at it.

On 13/11/2016 at 15:33, Bridgford Ram said:

English managers need to stop feel sorry for not getting the top jobs and do something about it.  Why do teams like Chelsea pick managers such as Mourinho, Conte etc?  It is because they have won leagues and competed in the Champions League. Why would they go for someone like Allardyce who has poddled around the mid to lower end of the Premier League and never managed in the top club competition.  Until English managers are willing to do something about this we will never have strong contenders for the England job.

The only manager I can think of that has been brave enough to do this is Steve McClaren and unfortunately he was found lacking (for whatever reason) in the job he took in Germany.

McClaren did very well when he went to the Netherlands though shame it didn't work out in Germany as well.

I agree with the rest of the post though - it feels the same as when black actors complained about none of them being nominated for an Oscars a little while back - none of them were good enough that year thats it - no other reason despite what they say. Same thing here - none of the English managers are good enough - that is why we don't see them managing any of the top teams - same with the squad - we are about 10 to 15 years behind the other European nations.

@HantsRam To be fair Sven's reign looks like a golden age now compared to the garbage we have had since his stint in charge.

WTF are ITV on about regarding the Vardy "tackle"? Boots the ball away, Spaniard carries on and runs into his foot yet Vardy's lucky to not get a yellow?

The game has gone.

England set up in a pretty decent shape and matching them pretty well, although Spain are lacking a bit going forwards.

Counter attack suits England. Sterling has been quality for Man City this season, Vardy/Rashford both rapid and good finishers, Walcott and Lingard also both natural sprinters. Dier and Henderson in front of the back 4 are fairly solid players.

Never going to be more clever than Spain but can be faster and more powerful. Fair to say they are quite inexperienced as well.

I thought before the Euros that England are a good side when they play a team who will play. I think the same now. In every game of Euro 2016 we played a side who just wanted to not lose against us. We didn't have any games where teams actually took the game to us. That's where we're dull and boring, because we just can't break teams down.

However on the counter attack we look very good, and have proved that we can hold our own. If we had managed to scrape past Iceland, I think we'd have beaten France purely because they'd take the game to us and we'd hit them with pace on the break. We've beaten Germany, France, Portugal and now looking like Spain all in the last 12 months. I know they're just friendlies but teams still try to win friendlies, we've still played talented players and talented teams. If we could break teams down we'd be a very good side, because when it comes to sitting back and hitting on the break, we're very good.

Archived