Southgate. Has he done enough?

Muskination

On 01/12/2016 at 20:23, reveldevil said:

A superb appointment, at last a manager who recognises the shortcomings of England at the highest level, and will set about the job with pride, and a sense of realism of what can be achieved with the resources available to him.

We won't win anything under him, we just aren't good enough, but he'll leave us in a far better state than he inherited.

What a fool I was.

Of course we will win something under Southgate!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geez. This is an old thread.

The last post hasn't aged well. 50th England Cap last night.

On 07/12/2016 at 14:10, HantsRam said:

My personal view is that henderson fits the mould of a "useful " rather than especially gifted player .  he's also in his mid 20s so wouldn't expect him to last more than 5 or 6 years in the engine room . 

Hence whilst I have no problem with him being in the team I hope to see some better players graduating from the youth system that's been invested in heavily, sooner rather than later.

On 16/11/2016 at 11:02, David said:

On the Southgate issue, for me he would be an even worse appointment than Sam, a manager with just one job to his name where he lost more games than he won prior to joining the England setup after a 4 year break.

We have a squad of players that work week in week out with Klopp, Wenger, Mourinho, Conte turning up to England duty and working under the likes of Allardyce and Southgate. 

Forget the buzzwords like G Star said, indentity, philosophy all that ******, we need a manager that has worked at the top, a winning manager that has a clue what he's doing against the top sides which won't be a Englishman.

Won't happen tho, the complete and utter bobblehead self confessed non footballing experts that are making the appointment will lump us with Southgate and scratch their baboon like heads in disbelief of fans becoming even more disillusioned with the national team.

This is England, sorry Bris but this job CAN attract the best of the best if we had an ounce of ambition.

Makes you wonder if they are really that stupid or scraping the English barrel of averageness (which is a compliment for Southgate) a cost cutting exercise as we still struggle to pay for Wembley, if so I understand but look no further than Eddie Howe, we may lose big games, tactically outwitted by the winning managers but it would be a lot more exciting football on the pitch than a Gareth Southgate side.

Bump. 

1 hour ago, therealhantsram said:

Geez. This is an old thread.

The last post hasn't aged well. 50th England Cap last night.

So? 5-6 years from 2016 is 2021-22. Still a couple of years yet until my post is wide of the mark.

Rice looks good and is probably the future. With Barkley coming good and players like Foden coming through I stand by my view that Henderson will gradually be phased out. 

1 hour ago, David said:

To be fair I made another which admitted I was wrong, very wrong ?

That won’t save you when you run for town council and they drag up all your old posts. The damage is done. I heard you were up for directing guardians of the galaxy 3 til someone at Disney read that post about Southgate. 

3 minutes ago, TigerTedd said:

That won’t save you when you run for town council and they drag up all your old posts. The damage is done. I heard you were up for directing guardians of the galaxy 3 til someone at Disney read that post about Southgate. 

Ha, gave up any hope of that years ago, you spend 10 years on an Internet forum you’re going to have a few shockers knocking about! ?

Any manager who gets his two best wingers to trade wing like Sterling and Hobson-Odoi did in the second half knows his job IMHO.

Well done Gareth, a flexible manager who can improvise when necessary without constantly chopping and changing his starting XI.

He is building a promising nucleus of young and experienced (Kane, Sterling et al) players into a stable team at international level.

The players look proud to be playing for England ??????? and keen to earn/keep their places.

The future’s bright, the future’s three Lions! ? ? ? 

at the point Gareth was appointed I was that pessimistic & tired of international football, I don't think I could even bring myself to comment on it.  And that's the biggest thing that's come out of his tenor so far, it's interesting to watch England again.  Whether it's the bounce from the World Cup, or the introduction of the Nations league but I've gone from barely bringing myself to watch highlights to ensuring I don't miss a second of a game. 

I'm sure an England team under Sam Alladyce or Roy Hodgson would've won after going a goal down against Monteneggro, but I bet you a tenner we would've made really hard work of it.  One of the great things about the whole set up at the moment is the amount of confidence & belief we have in how we play.  There wasn't any panic when we conceded, we just kept doing the same things, and lo & behold, it was that comfortable a result that it looked like a testimonial with 15 minutes to go...

If we continue to improve as we are, by the time we get to 2020, anything less that a semi final will be a huge surprise...

EDIT - 

I stand corrected, I did comment - 

Totally non-plused about it.  It's not the manager that's the problem, it's the players.  Unless he's thinking of pulling a Greece in '04 and defending our way to championship.  The talent isn't there due to wasting the 70's, 80's, 90's & early 00's thinking we're superior to everyone just because we're English...

I guess I was a little harsh towards some of the players ?

On 14/11/2016 at 07:02, Bris Vegas said:

England are pretty average. If they were in the Premier League they'd be about 8th or 9th.

Southampton are better, for instance.

So it's pretty unrealistic to suggest a better manager taking over the England job. Why would a good manager actually want it? 

I miss the resident comedian. #BRINGBRISBACK

14 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

I miss the resident comedian. #BRINGBRISBACK

He'll never come back.  He's having too much fun having orgies with his full size Guadiola & Bielsa sex dolls, and writing crap articles for HITC, in his retro Anderlect shirt, to care  #footballhipster 

On 27/03/2019 at 15:03, ramsbottom said:

at the point Gareth was appointed I was that pessimistic & tired of international football, I don't think I could even bring myself to comment on it.  And that's the biggest thing that's come out of his tenor so far, it's interesting to watch England again.  Whether it's the bounce from the World Cup, or the introduction of the Nations league but I've gone from barely bringing myself to watch highlights to ensuring I don't miss a second of a game. 

I'm sure an England team under Sam Alladyce or Roy Hodgson would've won after going a goal down against Monteneggro, but I bet you a tenner we would've made really hard work of it.  One of the great things about the whole set up at the moment is the amount of confidence & belief we have in how we play.  There wasn't any panic when we conceded, we just kept doing the same things, and lo & behold, it was that comfortable a result that it looked like a testimonial with 15 minutes to go...

If we continue to improve as we are, by the time we get to 2020, anything less that a semi final will be a huge surprise...

EDIT - 

I stand corrected, I did comment - 

Totally non-plused about it.  It's not the manager that's the problem, it's the players.  Unless he's thinking of pulling a Greece in '04 and defending our way to championship.  The talent isn't there due to wasting the 70's, 80's, 90's & early 00's thinking we're superior to everyone just because we're English...

I guess I was a little harsh towards some of the players ?

I was and now exactly the same mate 

you’ve nailed it 

Archived