Vydra's miss

Bris Vegas

5 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Oh look, everything has to be perfect. To use Alpha's phrase - we aren't winnier enough.

It's a snap decision. How many snap decisions are the right one?

He could replay that scenario 10 times. You'd probably see 3 hit the back of the net, 3 pull a save out of the keeper and the rest go high or wide. I'd be more worried if he'd taken it out of play, hit row Z, or just passed it back to the keeper. As it was, he was a few inches from it nestling into the bottom corner.

Better strikers have missed better chances. Why must Derby fans castigate absolutely everyone?

A good striker should be scoring that 999/1000. 

It wasn't like he took it first-time with the ball travelling fast at him, it wasn't as if he was off balance or the ball bobbled up infront of him. His first touch was decent and he was absolutely clear.

Eight yards out... With half the goal open infront of him.

It was a terrible miss because for some reason he opted not to just tap it into the massive, open space to the goalkeeper's right. The ball was dead, there was no chance of him missing the target.

I can't remember a worse miss from a Derby player since I began watching in the 90s.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It wasn't like he took it first-time with the ball travelling fast at him, it wasn't as if he was off balance or the ball bobbled up infront of him. His first touch was decent and he was absolutely clear.

It was a terrible miss because for some reason he opted not to just tap it into the massive, open space to the goalkeeper's right. The ball was dead, there was no chance of him missing the target.

I can't remember a worse miss from a Derby player since I began watching in the 90s.

John Harkes?! 

4-15 - sorry everyone but...

7 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

John Harkes?! 

4-15 - sorry everyone but...

Poor miss, but it was a bobbling ball he had to hit first time while off balance and swiveling.

Vydra's was far worse, as he controlled the ball dead, was directly facing the goal and closer in with a bigger, open target to aim for.

34 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Just gonna leave this here

A worse miss by a Derby player(s), have a look at Paulo Wanchope and Horacio Carbonari in the 0-0 with Coventry at Pride Park last game of the 98-99 season at home, both closer to the goal one at the front post the the at the back both didn't even put it goal wards.

44 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So, it was his 1/1000. Give the lad a break. Only just come on

50 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

What a ridiculous statement, you clearly don't remember Conor Sammon...

For one, the keeper must be credited for making an outstanding save. Vydra knows the keeper's momentum is taking him the other way so he attempts to place it to the other side, the keeper makes an excellent reflex save and it stays out after glancing the post, very straightforward.

Secondly, there have been far worse misses than Vydra's... his shot was on target, surely missing the target counts as a worse miss, which I've seen plenty of?

What's also worth remembering is that 999/1000 wherever Vydra hits the ball, it's going in. A combination of poor fortune and good goalkeeping kept it out. Just one of those things, i'm sure he'll score plenty more better goals over the course of the season

49 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Did Vydra urinate on you chips after the match or something Bris? 

Strikers do worse than that with good chances. Derby strikers much worse. 

Either that or Bris had a bet on us scoring 4. There is no other possible explanation for his increasingly ridiculous statements. 

54 minutes ago, rynny said:

Just gonna leave this here

A worse miss by a Derby player(s), have a look at Paulo Wanchope and Horacio Carbonari in the 0-0 with Coventry at Pride Park last game of the 98-99 season at home, both closer to the goal one at the front post the the at the back both didn't even put it goal wards.

Most of those had to be hit first time, with the ball travelling, instinctive shots can go anywhere.

Vydra's miss wasn't an instinctive shot, as he controlled the ball well enough for it to be stationary upon shooting. He was eight yards out with half the goal open. All he had to do was just tap it to the goalkeeper's right.

He tried to be clever and ended up looking a right plonker as he missed.

42 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

What a ridiculous statement, you clearly don't remember Conor Sammon...

For one, the keeper must be credited for making an outstanding save. Vydra knows the keeper's momentum is taking him the other way so he attempts to place it to the other side, the keeper makes an excellent reflex save and it stays out after glancing the post, very straightforward.

Secondly, there have been far worse misses than Vydra's... his shot was on target, surely missing the target counts as a worse miss, which I've seen plenty of?

What's also worth remembering is that 999/1000 wherever Vydra hits the ball, it's going in. A combination of poor fortune and good goalkeeping kept it out. Just one of those things, i'm sure he'll score plenty more better goals over the course of the season

Which Connor Sammon miss was worse?

I can't classify this as a good save. Lonergan just did what any other goalkeeper in world football would have done in that situation. He just jumped like a star. 

All Vydra had to do was put it in that three yard gap between the goalkeeper and his right post. At such close distance, even the weakest shot would have beaten the goalkeeper.

Instead he hit it straight at him. Terrible.

23 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I can't classify this as a good save. Lonergan just did what any other goalkeeper in world football would have done in that situation. He just jumped like a star. 

All Vydra had to do was put it in that three yard gap between the goalkeeper and his right post. At such close distance, even the weakest shot would have beaten the goalkeeper.

I remember Sammon missing an open goal, honestly can't remember when or who against though.

I actually agree that Vydra should have done better, but I understand his reasoning behind placing it where he did. Bit of an over-reaction to say it's one of our worst misses ever though, especially considering we won the game

37 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Nowhere near as bad a miss as Bryson at Hull. A yard out. Bucko putting one over the bar from two yards at Boro. Chris Martin running the ball out of play with an open goal facing him.

It happens. At the end of the day, all Vydra's miss meant was we still have a -1 instead of a zero goal difference.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

Either that or Bris had a bet on us scoring 4. There is no other possible explanation for his increasingly ridiculous statements. 

Can't everyone just agree, you are ALL wrong? A thread of its very own is rather harsh and could appear rather bitter.. considering we won, played well and the shot was two inches off being a goal.

However, got to agree...it was a MISS! Semantics to say otherwise...Yeh the keeper saved it but really he should never have been given a chance, and as Bris says he taps it to the right and its a very simple goal. Should score 9 times out of 10. Irony is that by highlighting this,  Bris is now being scapegoated ?

40 minutes ago, YorkshireRam said:

I remember Sammon missing an open goal, honestly can't remember when or who against though.

Naaaah, took a huge bobble that one. Can't remember either but I do remember most of the ground turning on him and at full time he stormed off the pitch. 

47 minutes ago, eddie said:

Nowhere near as bad a miss as Bryson at Hull. A yard out. Bucko putting one over the bar from two yards at Boro. Chris Martin running the ball out of play with an open goal facing him.

It happens. At the end of the day, all Vydra's miss meant was we still have a -1 instead of a zero goal difference.

I disagree re Bryson's miss, it was fired at him off the ground and it was instinctive.

Difference being Vydra's wasn't instinctive. He had all the time in the world to pick his spot (a three yard gap!) from all but eight yards out! 

In the grand scheme of things Vydra's miss didn't and isn't going to affect us. But IMO it's the worst I've ever seen from a Derby player and I thought it was an interesting topic. No hatred for the guy.

I was just bemused he didn't go for the easy option and just tapping it into the empty net to the goalkeeper's right. I can't understand why he went for the more difficult 'across the goalkeeper' option.

From eight yards out! Eight!

Archived