Vydra's miss

Bris Vegas

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I don't think it was that bad. he should have gone left but the shot wasn't as bad as all that. At least he didn't spoon it over the bar or hit hit it a mile wide. clips the keepers knee onto the post.

great save by the goalie as was the header from bent that  he finger tipped onto the post earlier

He missed it, should have gone the other other way. Why are people getting their knickers in a twist over it?

All of our strikers have fluffed one on ones before.

Just because he didn't score doesn't mean it's awful, dreadful, unforgivable and the rest.

If he hit it softly into the middle of the keeper's torso......if he spooned it six foot over the bar or three foot wide of the near post.....

7 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

http://i.imgur.com/TTghAKM.png

Here is the URL which you can put into Imgur, it's just not appearing on here after I submit for some reason.

It wasn't a case of going to the opposite way in which the GK was moving, he shot into the corner where the GK was most likely to save it. He had half of the other side of the goal to aim for.

It was an instinctive shot and he didn't have all the time in the world. This is how you are taught to shoot until your feet turn blue and it becomes instinctive.Shooting across the goal/goalkeeper. That's the kind of striker he is and we have a coach who was the same. The mentality isn't stop and think every chance you have but to act and do what you have trained over and over, that will most likely lead to a goal. 

It was just an interesting talking point. Thanks for getting that up @rynny

I can't understand why he tried to go across the goalkeeper from there. Look at that massive gap to the keeper's right. Any shot, even if scuffed, would have gone in had he put it in that corner.

Trying to go back across the goalkeeper when the angle was unfavourable didn't make sense. And not only that, he hit it straight at Lonergan rather than in the corner.

8 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

It was just an interesting talking point. Thanks for getting that up @rynny

I can't understand why he tried to go across the goalkeeper from there. Look at that massive gap to the keeper's right. Any shot, even if scuffed, would have gone in had he put it in that corner.

Trying to go back across the goalkeeper when the angle was unfavourable didn't make sense. And not only that, he hit it straight at Lonergan rather than in the corner.

No problem.

I can see the thinking with Vydra, I have played a lot if games as a striker and found myself in that position quite a few times, it is all mind games with the finish there. Vydra is expecting Lonergan to think he is going to put it where you would expect him to, so Vydra has thought Lonergan is going to hurl himself at that near post leaving the side empty that he has gone for. Unfortunately for Vydra, Lonergan hasn't gone as far across to make the instinctive save at the near post as he was expecting. Strikers will always tend to go across goal, it is something that is taught, especially f the keeper is coming from that direction, due to his momentum, weight distribution of is feet and body making it easier to go the way of the near post and what the keeper will be anticipating (aiming for the bigger target of the goal)

46 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

because the keeper has committed to going that way at the time he takes the shot.

I'd rather he shot on target across the goalie than blaze it into the stand FFS.

The keeper was commited to go to his right because he was moving in that direction. But he started at such a left position, there was a huge chunk of the goal he simply couldn't cover.

After diving there was still some two or three yards between Lonergan and his right post. 

Vydra was eight yards out. Eight.. 

47 minutes ago, rynny said:

No problem.

I can see the thinking with Vydra, I have played a lot if games as a striker and found myself in that position quite a few times, it is all mind games with the finish there. Vydra is expecting Lonergan to think he is going to put it where you would expect him to, so Vydra has thought Lonergan is going to hurl himself at that near post leaving the side empty that he has gone for. Unfortunately for Vydra, Lonergan hasn't gone as far across to make the instinctive save at the near post as he was expecting. Strikers will always tend to go across goal, it is something that is taught, especially f the keeper is coming from that direction, due to his momentum, weight distribution of is feet and body making it easier to go the way of the near post and what the keeper will be anticipating (aiming for the bigger target of the goal)

I do understand the logic behind a striker's thinking, but from such a short distance I found it bizarre to see him not just go for the easy and 'unstoppable' option of just sidefooting it in to the goalkeeper's right.

Chicharito also did a similar one for Leverkusen against Spurs which Hugo Lloris stopped, so Vydra certainly isn't alone in missing sitters he really should have scored.

Archived