on a slightly sour note...

Tamworthram

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

Take our games against the Red Dogs as an example of my thoughts on this topic:

sing about the 5-0,we only had ten men, their ground is a council owned dump which is too big for them etc etc.

Do not sing about:

Nigel Doughty, any racial slur about Fawaz.

Calling Andy Reid a fat ******* is football banter but don't spit your dummy out if he turned around and gave it back.

This is where I get confused.

I am a big fat bald bearded oldish straight white bloke - plenty of material it is consider banter to have a go at.

Most other things, sex, sexual preference, race, religion, disability etc. are not.

In fact in my opinion  most of these can be seen to be the subject of positive  discrimination.

Can someone please explain to me why it is OK to shout banter at an old bald bloke but not an old gay bloke or an old asian guy.

I do not care either way - I would just like consistency so I can easily understand it.

@Tony Le Mesmer raises the real issue. Why is one insult ok and another not. I reckon it comes from a mix or truth, intent, taste and your own moral code. There isn't a right answer if we want football grounds to be where we let of steam

The Fat V Black one Toney raised is very valid. Here are my thoughts  

Fat .. Well it could be true, but most likely if it is a footballer then he won't really be fat so what we are really doing is winding him up, sowing a seed of doubt .. Maybe the boss has been on at him for the 2lb he put on after Christmas. In any case you aren't born fat. He knows that, we know that. He also knows there are a fair few fat guys sitting in the stands. I don't really think it is as effective as suggesting he has a regular addiction to one handed habits. :ph34r: 

Black .. That is who you are, how you are born, it isn't a deviation from a majority, you can't change it. As an insult it's Somehow more personal as it carries with it centuries of bigotry, cruelty, injustice and prejudice. By any standard it is wrong and nasty. It's not an insult it's a proclamation of a false superiority. 

Then there is the humour that appears "wrong" to the politically correct but like Alf Garnet, deep down the humour mocks the teller. ... Remember the lady lino ? .. "Go home and wash the pots" ... I thought that was funny .. Why ? 

Because

a) it was and

b) it confirms the stereotype of Neanderthal blokes. The Victim gets to laugh back because the joke bounces back at the joker.

the other issue is intent .. Are we on a wind up mission or have we "lost it" .. Is it a poke in the ribs, a jibe .. Or is it spitting hate filled bile. ? 

Then there's distance. I've voiced vulgarity from a range of 75 meters in the general direction of whoever but would I really do it in someone's face ? Of course not it would be rude and offensive rather than robust vilifying of an opponent.

It was tradition before Vikings fought to exchange insults, part of the ritual of combat. It was expected and returned in kind. Let's just keep race, tragic death and perverted criminals out of it. It's just not cricket

2 hours ago, Dethorn said:

This is where I get confused.

I am a big fat bald bearded oldish straight white bloke - plenty of material it is consider banter to have a go at.

Most other things, sex, sexual preference, race, religion, disability etc. are not.

In fact in my opinion  most of these can be seen to be the subject of positive  discrimination.

Can someone please explain to me why it is OK to shout banter at an old bald bloke but not an old gay bloke or an old asian guy.

I do not care either way - I would just like consistency so I can easily understand it.

Racial insults are intended to dig up the past inequality (slavery, black/white divide) to imply that the abused is less of a person or race.

Then again, I'm putting reason to it when those Leeds knuckle draggers for example will only have the basic IQ to think 'you look different so I'll shout abuse at you'.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

why photograph them? why not video them and remove all potential doubt.

Video would be better hopefully someone can helpnhim collaborate his story. He has been on the radio so no reason to be doubtful of his story. No place for it....not good that by all accounts the police brushed it off.

Not read all the posts - first page was enough for me. Whether Saville or anyone else for that matter deserve such chants is irrelevant. If you or your kids were one of his victims would you want to hear it? Heard about a Leeds chant about Saville which if true is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard sung at a football game. Banter, my arse. 

On Sunday, October 16, 2016 at 14:49, Tony Le Mesmer said:

So if you were part of the family that were wiped out when Plymouth keeper Luke McCormick crashed his car due to dangerous driving you'd presumably get involved in the chant 'he kills who he wants' when Plymouth came to Derby then?

Footy bants.

Are there any family members on here??

19 hours ago, 86 points said:

Not read all the posts - first page was enough for me. Whether Saville or anyone else for that matter deserve such chants is irrelevant. If you or your kids were one of his victims would you want to hear it? Heard about a Leeds chant about Saville which if true is the most disgusting thing I've ever heard sung at a football game. Banter, my arse. 

Not heard it but does it go Jimmy's gonna getcha! And is it aimed at the North Stand? Haha

On 10/17/2016 at 12:02, DesertRam said:

Sometimes you need to just hold your hands up and admit what you are, if you walk on four legs

eat Friskies, chase cats and s*** on the lawn, you're a F** DOG.

To be fair....we've all done that after a night out.  Or is that just me? 

Archived