on a slightly sour note...

Tamworthram

4 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree about the McIntyres of this world but also disagree with the original point. There are some superb lesser known comics in the world who don't simply resort to bad language and sick jokes to get laughs.

Anyone who likes Roy Chubby Brown I'd have serious reservations about. ?

I must have a weird sense of humour, I find someone like Tim vine far funnier.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not liking something doesn't automatically mean you are offended by it, I learnt that today in the Bryson clap thread. 

Can stick it in the irrelevant or pointless basket for me if there was any confusion on whether or not I'm offended by it with my earlier post, when you look at the creativity that went into the Collymore chant why not get the lyrical geniuses to knock something up that could be sung in all 4 stands.....ok 3. 

You could argue the Savile chant was slightly relevant being a Leeds fan but I still don't get it, nor do I singing about Collymore's broken leg against say Huddersfield, why? please don't confuse confusion with being offended by it.

Do find it interesting the outrage the Philpott chant caused, seem to be good at giving but not taking.

Here's the issue I think.

Personally I think there's a world of difference between chubby and Boyle.

But if you find either of them funny it doesn't mean you agree with whatever they said. It just means you found it funny.

Sometimes humour is found in the uncomfortable feeling that things close to bone make you feel.

This is exactly the same as football chants. Sometimes they are a bit close to the bone but if they're funny(and legal)then I don't see the problem.

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Just a cross section of society and differing levels of what is considered to be socially acceptable, I stood on the pop side in the 80s and loved it, it was also common habit in those days to take a piss on the spot and hope most of it missed the bloke in front of you, can't see that being acceptable in this day and age, times change.

That's the pits you should have known  that's what your programme was for .Roll it up todger in the end and direct it anyway you want .

5 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Just a cross section of society and differing levels of what is considered to be socially acceptable, I stood on the pop side in the 80s and loved it, it was also common habit in those days to take a piss on the spot and hope most of it missed the bloke in front of you, can't see that being acceptable in this day and age, times change.

Quite a bit of this still goes on in the West stand around me. 

59 minutes ago, nookiebear said:

All you who are offended at offence, you're adult enough to work out that people can find a chant about saville funny without being right behind paedophilia.

For me it's not about offence, it's about harm. I think some attempts at humour are too likely to harm people to be worthwhile - like rape jokes and jokes about child molesters. There are just too many survivors of awful situations who deserve not to be retraumatised by some clueless cockwomble's idea of a joke.

23 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Won't even bother with a response because I am sure you know the difference.

No you'll have to explain. Can you make jokes about terrible things and terrible people or not? How terrible does something or someone have to be before it crosses your line? Paedophilia is off limits but the death of 6 million Jews is fine? 

When I'm drawing my line I try and put things into context - what was the intent? Were people glorifying paedophila yesterday? No. Are people suggesting Leeds fans are paedophiles? Well not seriously they're not. It seems to me to be a more colourful and topical way of saying Leeds fans are ***** and there's something wrong with their city and the way they do things - just like practically every other football chant out there. I'm really struggling to understand what I'm supposed to be offended about.

1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

No you'll have to explain. Can you make jokes about terrible things and terrible people or not? How terrible does something or someone have to be before it crosses your line? Paedophilia is off limits but the death of 6 million Jews is fine? 

When I'm drawing my line I try and put things into context - what was the intent? Were people glorifying paedophila yesterday? No. Are people suggesting Leeds fans are paedophiles? Well not seriously they're not. It seems to me to be a more colourful and topical way of saying Leeds fans are ***** and there's something wrong with their city and the way they do things - just like practically every other football chant out there. I'm really struggling to understand what I'm supposed to be offended about.

Don't remember saying you was offended, I actually said I am not offended either. I'm also not so blind to see why such things could offend people.

'Dad who is Jimmy Saville that they are singing about?'

Don't worry son, it's just a guy that used to rape children and vulnerable people...all good fun.

I think people are probably looking too deeply into this. Savile was a high profile celebrity from Leeds who turned out to be a wrong'un, so a chant is made saying that he's one of their own. Not really personal or even offensive, just a bit of a daft and pointless chant.

However, if people are chanting about him being a paedo or something along them lines then that is getting too personal, in my opinion. 

Just now, G STAR RAM said:

Don't remember saying you was offended, I actually said I am not offended either. I'm also not so blind to see why such things could offend people.

Don't worry son, it's just a guy that used to rape children and vulnerable people...all good fun.

'Daddy, why is John Cleese walking funny?'

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't worry son, it's just a Leeds fan that used to rape children and vulnerable people...all good fun.

....and there's the relevant context...

now can we go back to offending women, fat and ginger people, just like Tony and Paul's comedy favourites no doubt used to do back in the day! :whistle:

1 minute ago, SIWY said:

I think people are probably looking too deeply into this. Savile was a high profile celebrity from Leeds who turned out to be a wrong'un, so a chant is made saying that he's one of their own. Not really personal or even offensive, just a bit of a daft and pointless chant.

However, if people are chanting about him being a paedo or something along them lines then that is getting too personal, in my opinion. 

"He's one of your own" is the chant I've heard before. I'm guessing it's the same one?

Archived