on a slightly sour note...

Tamworthram

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StringerBell said:

It is a joke referencing something terrible. 

I know we're Derby fans but not everything is so black and white. The context is completely different, as evidenced by the fact that episode of Fawlty Towers was hugely popular in Germany, including among descendants of holocaust victims. I doubt songs about Jimmy Savile are super popular with those he raped.

2 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

"He's one of your own" is the chant I've heard before. I'm guessing it's the same one?

Yes. It's a daft and pointless chant but not really very offensive.

I find it different to chants about Mick Philpott, Doughty etc... because those chants are very specific, which makes them too personal. I wouldn't class a generalised in the same category. 

That said, I wouldn't chant this myself because I don't see why this chant should have any place in football. Same with the Collymore chant, I don't sing that either. 

8 hours ago, ossieram said:

Were you offended when they sang to Tom Ince and did you like the reply I started?

I did. It made me laugh. We should run with this one since Ince gets dogs abuse from most opposition fans. It will be nice to be able to stick up for him for a change.

We'll probably get told off for offending fatherless people though.:lol:

21 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

I know we're Derby fans but not everything is so black and white. The context is completely different, as evidenced by the fact that episode of Fawlty Towers was hugely popular in Germany, including among descendants of holocaust victims. I doubt songs about Jimmy Savile are super popular with those he raped.

No you can't even order a black tea at Derby. 

That episode has been censored so somebody is offended by it. Nevertheless, gauging how popular or unpopular something is is irrelevant to the question of whether you can take a terrible person or event and make a joke about it.

Explain to me how this song is a slight on victims of Jimmy Saville, and if it is not then why should they be upset by it? A song in which Jimmy Saville is portrayed as a villain. Are you saying merely mentioning Jimmy Saville is objectionable? Like, say, a joke that references Nazis?

5 minutes ago, Anon said:

I did. It made me laugh. We should run with this one since Ince gets dogs abuse from most opposition fans. It will be nice to be able to stick up for him for a change.

We'll probably get told off for offending fatherless people though.:lol:

Yeah I said that earlier in this thread. I'm still waiting for my apologies. Then I can see whether those apologising are the same ones that think singing songs about what a bell Jimmy Saville is is disgusting. 

33 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

'Daddy, why is John Cleese walking funny?'

Cos Jimmy saville just jingle jangled him with his with his eight inch Cuban !!

(is this the kind of humour we are looking to scrape from the very bottom of the barrel ? .)

3 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Cos Jimmy saville just jingle jangled him with his with his eight inch Cuban !!

(is this the kind of humour we are looking to scrape from the very bottom of the barrel ? .)

I don't know that wasn't bad. 

I'm not quite sure how gallows humour is scraping the barrel.

1 minute ago, philmycock said:

I've got piles that occasionally pop out when I can't hold them in, now I'm offended

I'm sorry mate, can't say ought these days without causing offence.

It's like I'm constantly walking on eggshells.

Which is also what the paramedic said as he loaded pa into the ambulance.

Archived