on a slightly sour note...

Tamworthram

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, StringerBell said:

I'll reply. I recommend you should read my reply regardless of whether you respond to it. 

They are not standard definitions at all. Any dictionary defines racism, differently to you I might add. Any old Tom, Dick or Harry can tell you roughly what racism is. A university education is not required. When I was at university, even though they spoke a lot of bull, they still had the decency to call institutional racism institutional racism rather than just racism. And though this nonsense originated in the 1970's this has only taken root recently (I only left university 4 years ago and this nonsense was relatively unheard of then). So me paying more attention wouldn't have resulted in me 'seeing the light'. I was told a lot of rubbish at university but my lecturers were kind enough to distinguish between two different concepts by giving them two different names. Language is useful like that. Most sociologists acknowledge the difference between the two concepts, it is just frankly sinister individuals who have chosen to conflate them.

And it is mainly black supremacists not sociologists that have asserted that because the sociological definition of racism is different to the (actual) standard one that this means black people cannot be racist. I wonder why.

This ridiculous conflation of two separate concepts under the guise of intellectualism also means that white South Africans can't be racist. Let that sink in.

I think you're giving dictionary compilers way too much credit if you think they're trying to define every word at an expert level and taking into account every nuance. They're not. They're trying to come up with simple, brief, workable everyday definitions for how the majority of people are using a word. Would you expect a dictionary compiler to know more about engineering terms than an engineer? Of course you wouldn't. Similarly a (usually white, comfortably-off) dictionary compiler can't be expected to nail all the nuances of sociological phenomena. That's why we study things rather than just reading dictionaries and calling it quits.

As for the rest, I have read but will just take a deep breath and let it go. I wish you joy on your journey of learning. If ever we sit in a pub together I will happily get into this with you some more, as long as afterwards we can talk about the Mighty Rams and stop boring everyone else in the group.

11 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

I think you're giving dictionary compilers way too much credit if you think they're trying to define every word at an expert level and taking into account every nuance. They're not. They're trying to come up with simple, brief, workable everyday definitions for how the majority of people are using a word. Would you expect a dictionary compiler to know more about engineering terms than an engineer? Of course you wouldn't. Similarly a (usually white, comfortably-off) dictionary compiler can't be expected to nail all the nuances of sociological phenomena. That's why we study things rather than just reading dictionaries and calling it quits.

As for the rest, I have read but will just take a deep breath and let it go. I wish you joy on your journey of learning. If ever we sit in a pub together I will happily get into this with you some more, as long as afterwards we can talk about the Mighty Rams and stop boring everyone else in the group.

Most dictionaries are descriptive not prescriptive. They describe words as they are used. The people have decided what racism means. Your definition is not standard, it is obscure.

I'll leave it between you and your conscience to decide whether you move forward deliberately conflating terms in order to, well only you know why. Clearly others do it to grant power to non-whites, I've no idea what your game is.

Archived