on a slightly sour note...

Tamworthram

37 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

My dad was run over and killed whilst on his way to a fancy dress party dressed as a chicken.

Consequently, I now hate everybody under the age of 10.

Yeah sorry about that but he was flapping about in the road and i didnt know which way to swerve

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, Gritters said:

I can confirm that the chant wasn't sung in the West Stand.

I can also confirm the nonsense of people urinating into their programs does not happen in the West Stand.  The vast majority of us only realise we needed a wee on waking at half time and the rest of us already have colostomy bags.

Eating all the pies, referees not knowing their parents, WAG jokes with sexual content, kleptomaniac scousers, Mancs from Surrey, in breeding in Stoke. Popes, vicars. Ladies of the night, and play actors. Anglo Saxon language ... All par for the course in a football ground and good for letting off steam, crude but somehow part of the show

The other stuff.. Well get on with it if you want, but count me out. And respect the family areas please. I've never been a ban this ban that sort of person but I reckon you lack a real sense of humour if you think the black stuff about rape, death and child abuse really has a place in public. This has nothing to do with snobbery, it has a lot to do with common decency 

10 hours ago, jono said:

Eating all the pies, referees not knowing their parents, WAG jokes with sexual content, kleptomaniac scousers, Mancs from Surrey, in breeding in Stoke. Popes, vicars. Ladies of the night, and play actors. Anglo Saxon language ... All par for the course in a football ground and good for letting off steam, crude but somehow part of the show

The other stuff.. Well get on with it if you want, but count me out. And respect the family areas please. I've never been a ban this ban that sort of person but I reckon you lack a real sense of humour if you think the black stuff about rape, death and child abuse really has a place in public. This has nothing to do with snobbery, it has a lot to do with common decency 

I think this is an excellent post and in addition, having read all of the thread I am starting to see I may have been a little too harsh and too judgmental of some fans however my stance hasn't changed too much.

As Jono points out, songs about geographical stereotypes, pie eaters and the affluence or not so in this case, of a specific town or city have always been commonplace in football and I haven't got an issue with that even some may find them offensive. You fat b*****d is a common one, a simple derogatory chant mercilessly aimed at an overweight person. I myself am slightly on the large side and I don't have an issue with that. My kid calls me fat all the time and has led me to take some action so some good has come out of someone being so brutally honest. :lol:

I have however made her aware that it is bullying to go around calling other people fat and totally unacceptable and if she did she would be in trouble.

I find it confusing though how targeting someone for the colour of their skin or disability (which clearly is unacceptable)  is somehow different from targeting someone legally and frequently for their size, colour of their hair and clearly sexist songs such as (get yer t*ts out for the lads) when a women walks in front of the pitch. The latter I hate though. Truly shows up the calibre of a man IMO and if you shouted that in a pub you'd could actually be in trouble for sexual harassment I don't doubt but as it's inside a football stadium then it's ok apparently. Just banter.

I'd hazard a guess that we all talk between our mates and laugh at some things we probably shouldn't but that shouldn't make it acceptable. We use our common sense and decorum as to not deliberately offend anyone because we know such things may be offensive to others. It just seems like because people are together inside a football stadium then it's suddenly ok to shout stuff.

It does all come down to how offended someone is about a particular thing which is subjective but again, like Jono says, steer clear of the sick stuff and not many people will have too many complaints i'm sure. We're not all whiter than white, myself included. I accept that. Maybe there is a middle ground here?

11 hours ago, jono said:

Agreed. There's a time and place for everything.

I personally love black humour but that's why I go to see Jimmy Carr. In football stadiums I prefer the Danish model of supporting and having fun.

Banter - the playful and friendly exchange of teasing remarks:

"there was much good-natured banter"

synonyms: repartee · raillery · ripostes · sallies · swordplay · quips ·

[More]

wisecracks · crosstalk · wordplay · badinage · witty conversation · witty remarks · witticism(s) · joking · jesting · jocularity · drollery · bons mots · kidding · ribbing · joshing · bants · persiflage

VERB

exchange remarks in a good-humoured teasing way:

"the men bantered with the waitresses" ·

[More]

"a bantering tone"

synonyms: joke · jest · pun · sally · quip · josh · wisecrack

As we can see from the dictionary quote "playful and friendly exchange"

As I see it you can give good banter by getting one over your opponents with witty intelligent jibes that don't bring into them the vile and down right amebae like intelligence that this "so called" banter does.

It is not banter it is the wit of a very low intelligence that doesn't consider the feelings and or people who might have been effected by these abominable people or others like them.

No place in football at all.

1 hour ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think this is an excellent post and in addition, having read all of the thread I am starting to see I may have been a little too harsh and too judgmental of some fans however my stance hasn't changed too much.

As Jono points out, songs about geographical stereotypes, pie eaters and the affluence or not so in this case, of a specific town or city have always been commonplace in football and I haven't got an issue with that even some may find them offensive. You fat b*****d is a common one, a simple derogatory chant mercilessly aimed at an overweight person. I myself am slightly on the large side and I don't have an issue with that. My kid calls me fat all the time and has led me to take some action so some good has come out of someone being so brutally honest. :lol:

I have however made her aware that it is bullying to go around calling other people fat and totally unacceptable and if she did she would be in trouble.

I find it confusing though how targeting someone for the colour of their skin or disability (which clearly is unacceptable)  is somehow different from targeting someone legally and frequently for their size, colour of their hair and clearly sexist songs such as (get yer t*ts out for the lads) when a women walks in front of the pitch. The latter I hate though. Truly shows up the calibre of a man IMO and if you shouted that in a pub you'd could actually be in trouble for sexual harassment I don't doubt but as it's inside a football stadium then it's ok apparently. Just banter.

I'd hazard a guess that we all talk between our mates and laugh at some things we probably shouldn't but that shouldn't make it acceptable. We use our common sense and decorum as to not deliberately offend anyone because we know such things may be offensive to others. It just seems like because people are together inside a football stadium then it's suddenly ok to shout stuff.

It does all come down to how offended someone is about a particular thing which is subjective but again, like Jono says, steer clear of the sick stuff and not many people will have too many complaints i'm sure. We're not all whiter than white, myself included. I accept that. Maybe there is a middle ground here?

Great post - the conclusion is wrong thou - there is never a middle ground with this type of stuff!!!!!!!!!

36 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

That'll be from the photo that circulated of that guy who spent the game abusing a Derby fan instead of watching the match, I imagine.

14 hours ago, StringerBell said:

I don't know that wasn't bad. 

I'm not quite sure how gallows humour is scraping the barrel.

Sometimes you need to just hold your hands up and admit what you are, if you walk on four legs

eat Friskies, chase cats and s*** on the lawn, you're a F** DOG.

Come on admit you're a racist, homophobe, sexist etc.. we'd all respect you more! :whistle:

4 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Yes, please!

Surely we'd all be much better for it if, instead of 'bants', we indulged in some light-hearted badinage or raillery.

Or maybe football tomfoolery, japes or shenanigans perhaps? Can't think of any more less obvious ones..........I've got a limited IQ. ;)

Just now, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Maybe as it's their iconic song synonymous with Leeds? Not totally sure though.

Can't be that. We don't boo anything else they sing. The only songs I have heard that get that response, are the philpott one sung by millwall, and marching on together by Leeds. 

Archived