new manager list

B4ev6is

27 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Bottling important games over and over? I don't agree with that assessment at all. 

Has no concept of how a team should defend? Derby County set a club record for consecutive clean sheets during his tenure, not bad considering we were playing attacking, at times risky football.

You don't need a few effectve formations to get promoted. You only need one, but able to play a system in numerous ways when it suits which we did under McClaren. 

There were games where we really went all out attack, other times we adopted a more controlling approach and then there were other games where we dropped a little deeper and played on the counter (both away at Ipswich and Brighton in the playoffs, winning both).

There isn't just one way to play a 433, McClaren, Wassall and Clement proved that. It's shape and player positioning, that's all. It can be both attacking and defensive, depending on approach.

The only thing I agree with you on is that NP was tactically inept - no concept of how quick passing can break down defences, and no idea how to coach forward runs. You see it at the games if you scan the field. We are so static its ridiculous. Mcclaren was not much better, no matter how much you blow his trumpet, but at least he tried to attack. Again, you need a draw to make the playoffs, and you go all out attack and lose 0-3. Not smart. Wembley - not smart. I watched Newcastle v Chelsea  ... when Chelsea were struggling last season. Tied game, seconds left, Newcastle get a corner. He goes nuts demanding they not try to win it on the last play but just kill time for the home draw. Then bangs on about a good point at home to Chelsea. He's just inept! We don't want to go backwards and we won't. 

All I want is a semi intelligent manager who knows how to set up his team based on its players, who can motivate them, who knows that with a lead close to the end of the game, you bring on your more defensive minded players. A bonus would be if he can teach attacking movement, and learned at his UEFA A course how to press without the ballI. It doesn't matter the formation, but Hughes needs to be an attacking centre mid, and we should not have 2 lightweight centre mids.  Its sort of obvious stuff.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We went all-out attack in the final game v Reading only in the second half, and only because we were losing.

Bent's penalty before half time was the critical aspect. It goes in, and we have equalised and go into the break on a high.

Don't let facts get in the way of your regular 15 minutes of hate against Goldstein, ninos.

39 minutes ago, Ninos said:

The only thing I agree with you on is that NP was tactically inept - no concept of how quick passing can break down defences, and no idea how to coach forward runs. You see it at the games if you scan the field. We are so static its ridiculous. Mcclaren was not much better, no matter how much you blow his trumpet, but at least he tried to attack. Again, you need a draw to make the playoffs, and you go all out attack and lose 0-3. Not smart. Wembley - not smart. I watched Newcastle v Chelsea  ... when Chelsea were struggling last season. Tied game, seconds left, Newcastle get a corner. He goes nuts demanding they not try to win it on the last play but just kill time for the home draw. Then bangs on about a good point at home to Chelsea. He's just inept! We don't want to go backwards and we won't. 

All I want is a semi intelligent manager who knows how to set up his team based on its players, who can motivate them, who knows that with a lead close to the end of the game, you bring on your more defensive minded players. A bonus would be if he can teach attacking movement, and learned at his UEFA A course how to press without the ballI. It doesn't matter the formation, but Hughes needs to be an attacking centre mid, and we should not have 2 lightweight centre mids.  Its sort of obvious stuff.

McClaren was not much better than Pearson? Did I just read that correctly?

That game against Reading was really poor, but the damage had been done to the team by then. As for Wembley? Other than poor subs, general play we were fine and completely dominated the game.

You also just picked on McClaren for being too attacking, then a sentence later for being too defensive. Which is it? I don't believe he's inept, I believe he's made bad decisions but then which managers haven't?

I'd welcome him back, but as I mentioned earlier, I'd have reservations over recruitment.

We are some way away from promotion with this current squad IMO. We need to make a few key signings, but I don't trust the club to bring in those key additions with our recruitment history over the past 18 months.

McClaren had a period of success.  Perhaps much of it a result of using good contacts to secure some excellent loan signings. I wonder if he still has the same credibility to attract players the calibre of Ibe, Wisdom, Lingard etc ??

8 minutes ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

No to Powell yes to Bruce sign him up befor villa get him. Where do people think Powell will take us promotion or steady midtable. For me Powell ain't the man 

your thoughts are appreciated, but no thanks. I'd rather have enjoyable football than mind-numbing, fan-losing, hoofball boredom-fest.

3 minutes ago, simsdcfc said:

... if CP was going to he kept in charge you would of thought the club would of said so on the club statement yesturday

Unless CP wouldn't discuss it until NP was sorted one way or another, you know out of 'respect' - like not celebrating a goal?!

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

McClaren was not much better than Pearson? Did I just read that correctly?

That game against Reading was really poor, but the damage had been done to the team by then. As for Wembley? Other than poor subs, general play we were fine and completely dominated the game.

You also just picked on McClaren for being too attacking, then a sentence later for being too defensive. Which is it? I don't believe he's inept, I believe he's made bad decisions but then which managers haven't?

I'd welcome him back, but as I mentioned earlier, I'd have reservations over recruitment.

We are some way away from promotion with this current squad IMO. We need to make a few key signings, but I don't trust the club to bring in those key additions with our recruitment history over the past 18 months.

He was defensively inept - as in neither England Twente Us or Newcastle knew how to set up without the ball. In today's game that's basic stuff. The example showed not that he was defensive but that in a situation where it was extremely low risk to go for the win he played for a draw. Versus Croatia he just needed a draw and lost and versus reading a draw and by his own admission played for a win. 

A lot of people want mac back because he attacked and therefore it was entertaining. But you know that we can still have attacking football with tactical aptitude. He's not smart. Pearson is inept but in a different way: he could set up a defence but that's where it ended. 

The last paragraph I sort of agree with - we only truly need one lethal striker but a lot of players need shipping out. 

1 minute ago, Ninos said:

He was defensively inept - as in neither England Twente Us or Newcastle knew how to set up without the ball. In today's game that's basic stuff.

this wouldn't be absolute rubbish if the people immediately preceding or succeeding McClaren had somehow done better. But with Newcastle and England (I don't possess enough knowledge re:Twente), he was no worse than the person he replaced and the person replacing him wasn't much better either. Sometimes you have to accept that players have a 'ceiling' to what they can and cannot do. Would you say Benitez is defensively inept? :lol: 

4 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Another season where Mels appointment hasn't worked and we end up with a cheaper option to see us through until the end of the season.

Lets not forget Powell was training these players and preparing these players under Pearson, he clearly didn't have the balls to say to Pearson, things aren't working we need to change them.

So underwhelmed with this appointment.....which hopefully means we go onto win promotion now.

How'd ya know he didn't say owt to Pearson?

1 hour ago, McLovin said:

We have effectively written off 2 seasons. The easiest time to go up was either last season or the season before. It's only going to be harder with the premier league team's parachute money combined with the money they will gain from the tv deal

We should be in the premier league and would be if that clown mclaren had played Bryson at Wembley , the fact that the qpr dressing room were overjoyed when they saw the team lines says it all 

Just now, valleyram said:

We should be in the premier league and would be if that clown mclaren had played Bryson at Wembley , the fact that the qpr dressing room were overjoyed when they saw the team lines says it all 

lol, who would you have dropped?

Archived