new manager list

B4ev6is

I think we could do a lot worse than Powell to be honest. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and claim I'd have been pleased if he'd been appointed in the summer, but what a lot of people seem to be not taking into account is a massive change in circumstances.

I've written this season off after the havoc Pearson wreaked, but I'd be pleased if we started scoring some goals and playing some good football again.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ITSD said:

I think we could do a lot worse than Powell to be honest. I'm not going to be a hypocrite and claim I'd have been pleased if he'd been appointed in the summer, but what a lot of people seem to be not taking into account is a massive change in circumstances.

I've written this season off after the havoc Pearson wreaked, but I'd be pleased if we started scoring some goals and playing some good football again.

Just like we wrote last season off, and the season before that, and the season before that etc, etc.

I confess I've fallen a little out of love with the club since the sacking of Clement. Whatever the results we were told he would be the manager at the end of the season and then he was gone. And since then it's been downhill, tossing away the lessons of continuity and properly building, instead seemingly carried along on one random current and then another, taking us all over the place and then back to square one.

I would be OK with Powell who has been hugely unlucky in his managerial dismissals having done well at different clubs in difficult circumstances. I would certainly prefer him to the likes of Bruce, Holloway, Jacket, Giggs or even Rowett. Of available English managers I do think Hodgson could actually suit us. Though as I sat appalled in the Stade Velodrome in Marseille while I watched him bring James Millner on instead of Jamie Vardy, I had to question his sanity.

But I want excitement and romance and think @Bris Vegasis right for once that oversees is the better place to look for the football we want to play, dominating games, pressing high up the field and overpowering our opponents with our slick one-touch passing and movement. For me what Michael Laudrup was extraordinary at Swansea and he'd be my first choice. Bring him back to Blighty before we trigger article 50!

3 hours ago, curtains said:

"Hudson and New Zealand Football recently refuted media reports that the New Zealand national team boss linking him with a possible job at English Championship side Derby County."

When will journalists or writers ever learn how to use the word 'refuted' properly! It so bloody annoys me.

23 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

But I want excitement and romance and think @Bris Vegasis right for once that oversees is the better place to look for the football we want to play, dominating games, pressing high up the field and overpowering our opponents with our slick one-touch passing and movement. For me what Michael Laudrup was extraordinary at Swansea and he'd be my first choice. Bring him back to Blighty before we trigger article 50!

How about an Italian and a Spaniard in Eranio and Idiakiz?

Don't worry, article 50 will not be triggered without us staying in the single market.

Don't get me wrong, I loved CP as a player here and have always had respect for him. But I don't think he is what we need or could achieve what we need, but who knows, it what ever fits really. We still have a team that fits the 433 - and variants thereof that formation - so get someone who can build on that with good exciting football. 

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

I like the idea of unearthing another karanka or Pochettino a lot....might sound risky but is it really compared to the usual plodders? 

I think we tried that risky road with Clement. I'd happy to take another risky move, but I'm afraid Me doesn't have balls to do it.

9 hours ago, McLovin said:

Ralf Rangnick would be the absolute dream. He is currently the sporting director of Leipzig. If anyone wants high tempo football he is the man. The likes of Klopp and Thomas Tuchel(current Borussia Dortmund boss) based their philosophies on his teams in the past. Very very unlikely though and I doubt he would leave his role at Leipzig because they're very rich. Bris is right though we should broaden our horizons rather than being stuck with the British shores. @Bris Vegas knows who this man is but I'd love Paco Jemez here. He has just left his role at granada but he is a fantastic coach and would 100% get the team playing like it did under macs first season 

Not a chance but great thinking. The same names go round and round every time there's a job available. Who knew about Pochettino before he moved to Southampton? Not many of us, there are good managers out there we just have to think outside the box a bit and hope that Mel gives them more time........ Hope, there's a word.... 

57 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

I think we tried that risky road with Clement. I'd happy to take another risky move, but I'm afraid Me doesn't have balls to do it.

I agree,

clement was a risk, Mel took a gamble with a guy that had rubbed shoulders with some of the very best players and managers in the world, but had no managerial experience 

lets not mess about I think it captured most people's imagination when he was appointed.

it didn't work out and looking back we/clement wasted some serious cash.

a foreign manager is always a little bit more of a gamble as there's nothing like the championship in the world in terms of rigours, demands and intensity imo but as we've seen there's some gold out there and it's certainly more exciting the visiting the same old names.

That said I dont think forests foreign gamble has got much longer left in the job, ironically they'll probably end up with Pearson before xmas 

Powell will get it I'm afraid.  Not for footballing reasons though. 

He is whatMel was looking for in Clement, a coach who will tow the party line and Mel will believe he can manipulate him.

Hay ho, let's employ the nice guy who played for us before.  We are more like Disneyland than a football club.

Im all for a more European approach this time... None of the UK based managers inspire me in any way whatsoever..

Jacket ffs

Powell ffs

Robinson ffs

Mac ffs

Sherwood ffs

I've lost that lovin feeling :angry:

12 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

What exactly did McClaren do which was so bad? Other than bringing in Darren Bent and failing to add an extra holding midfielder during that January transfer window.

You can't make excuses for bottling important games over and over. Plus wherever he goes he has no concept of how a team should defend. You're a footballing tactics genius and you don't see that or you don't care? And 4-3-3 isn't the holy grail of formations. I may prefer it alongside 4-2-3-1 but you need a few effective formations to be successful in this league. 

My primary concern with CP is his choice of substitution last match. A bit worrying that he wasn't thinking of preserving that lead away from home against a good passing team. The bench was also far too attacking and lopsided. Can't speak to anything else although I'd like to see more of the young players playing and see that we have a manager who understands that players need to move off the ball and make runs if we are to be an entertaining team. We are too static and have been since mclaren. High press would be a bonus. 

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Plenty of names abroad.

I just want a manager who looks to play 433, a high press, freedom to get forward and passing out from the back. I'd argue there are more and better options abroad than in the UK.

Can you give us some names? 

Saying there are plenty seems very vague. Put your reputation on the line aha tell us a manager you'd expect to achieve well with us...

Does it really matter? Can you really get excited or put your heart into trying to work out our best next managerial move when you feel deep down that there's every chance they will only be with us five minutes and will go under a cloud of secrecy with us fans left wondering what the hell really went on and if we will ever find out ? Clement ,now Pearson do any of us really have a clue what the hells going on?,, do I want Powell ? Do I hell , because? I would have been seriously underwhelmed if he had been chosen in the summer ,, but we need stability I hear the cries ,, hes at the club knows the players ? He's been assistant manager for nine games ffs how's that stability , he don't even measure up to wassells cv on that criteria ,,, sentiment , sentiment , sentiment ,, we liked him as a player for us so make him manager??Really? Sadly Mel as a fan also will probably hold that same sentiment based affection for him ,,,,, igor I hear the cry again ,,,,,,? If Pearson s no crap personality was no good with these players how the hell will igor fit? We are in a trial spin nose dive of a shambolic clusterfuck and I for one can't even begin to imagine who would be the right manager for us ,permanent , temp till end of season suck it and see , permanent but gone in twenty seconds ,old school ,new school , fxxxing play school ,,, Chris Powell till the end of season ,, do me a favour,,, but you can put your house on it that's what we are getting

10 hours ago, jono said:

I believe we need a unity management committee and coalition ... Split in to subsections as follows

1) team selection .. 4 members with David as chairman

2) set up cordinators .. 4 members with joint chairmanship Bris and Ninos

3) half time motivators and analysts  .. Angieram and Tony 

5) substitution, bench manager and youth team boss B4 

6)  post match interviews ...Eddie 

7) post match firing squad and attendees to be appointed 

Ha ha - you'll have no shortage of takers for the firing squad! Some of them are already lining up their credentials on this thread. 

Archived