new manager list

B4ev6is

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chris Powell is the easy option, but then again so was Darren Wassall in the summer and he didn't get the job. I expect Derby to actively pursue options until and during the January transfer window.

Derby really need to think carefully about what their objective now is. Under Pearson, there was a real sense and talk of promotion - except for actually on the field. We knew he was going to change our style of play, but as fans, we were happy watch a few scrappy games if it meant promotion at the end of the season.

Obviously this hasn't worked out, and now Derby have to think why. For me, its easy. This was simply the wrong appointment. We know Mel is a big believer of the "Derby Way" (AKA football under Steve McClaren - but has his appointments after Steve really embraced that style of play?

If he wants the club and the team to have an attacking and exciting footballing ethos, he needs to make the right appointment to suit the brief. IF this team plays attacking and exciting football we know they'll end up somewhere near the right end of the league - "promotion" doesn't even need to be an objective we wave in the faces of the players. Let them play and they will succeed.

Therefore, let's look at a manager that suits our style and brings an air of confidence and awe to the club. A good appoint for me would be Dennis Bergkamp. Current Assistant Manager at Ajax and someone that DOES bring that awe and has had 30-odd years experience playing attacking and exciting 4-3-3 football.

He's scared of flying, but matching a successful coach with this squad could see us soar to the top of the table (sorry - very cheesy line).

As we've seen, European managers are not afraid to dip into the Championship, and Derby are one of the best wage payers in the league - getting Bergkamp here wouldn't be a problem - it's just whether Derby have the conviction to make a bold appointment like this and leave him to get on with what he's done so well at Ajax so far.

My thoughts are that the problems lie with the squad. We are weak in a number of areas.

Our success or failure will be determined by our performance in the next transfer window.

The question is therefore whether the club feels Powell is the man to attract the right type of players to drive us to success.

I have my doubts.

Hopefully it's Gary Rowett. Doing really well at Birmingham and their squad isn't nearly as strong as ours, so think of what he would do with us! Chris Powell really hasn't impressed much as a manager to me. He did ok at charlton but I don't rate him as a manager. Anyway he's probably going to be caretaker for a while so maybe he'll prove me wrong.

Ideally would want our next manager to either be an experienced head with a point to prove or a younger man with an initial track record of success. Footballing philosophy is important but less important than the ability to actually manage - i.e. use the current squad to the best effect to get the best results possible. For instance, some managers get labelled as 'direct' but the most intelligent of these (Big Sam, Warnock) are prepared to be pragmatic with the tools they have at their disposal as Sam's time at Bolton & Warnock's intelligent use of Faurlin & Taarabt at QPR show. 

For me, Chris Powell falls into the promising younger manager category - some on here really need to look closer at the job he did at Charlton before condemning him as a poor choice.

The only people I would absolutely rule out are those with nothing left to prove in the game (Hodgson, Sven), managers who are tactically inflexible (McCarthy, Bruce) or total rookie managers who people would only want because of an impressive playing career (Giggs). And Tim Sherwood because he's utter garbage.

2 hours ago, Ramarena said:

If it's a choice between Powell and the likes of Sherwood, Bruce, McCarthy, Holloway, etc, then I'd rather stick with Powell till the end of the season.

If that's the choice I'd have to agree. TBH I fed up with 'ex-Derby' signings. I'd like a continental gem with managerial/winning experience please! :D

I think we are actively pursuing other options. When we got rid of Clement last season the club said straight away that Wassall would be replacing him, I think if Powell was taking over they would have announced that yesterday as well.

As for options, Rowett would be my initial choice without doing much research as to who is out there. But I wouldn't mind the club looking further afield than the usual suspects that are trotted out with every sacking in the Championship.

Sith Happens
15 hours ago, Malagaram said:

Would you employ a man who slept with his sister in law,B4.

Cant see what relevance that has, however I wouldnt employ the man on the basis he has not pedigree at all as a manager.

Sith Happens
12 hours ago, ossieram said:

Has Glen Hoddle had a mention yet? We could all sing Diamond lights as the players come onto the pitch.

I would definately have him at derby in some capacity, even if not manager, coach/assistant any day.

15 hours ago, philmycock said:

Hark at Mary Whitehouse, at least it wasn't his sister. My grandad married his wife's sister, shall I disown him?

I think it was the fact that she was married to his brother at the time that was the issue.

The use of the words "timely fashion" makes it all but certain to be Powell really. The bookies aren't offering a market and unless we've spent the time Pearson was suspended for interviewing other managers then how can we possibly decide in a timely fashion.

Powell confirmed until the end of the season at some point tomorrow is my guess, unfortunately.

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The use of the words "timely fashion" makes it all but certain to be Powell really. The bookies aren't offering a market and unless we've spent the time Pearson was suspended for interviewing other managers then how can we possibly decide in a timely fashion.

Powell confirmed until the end of the season at some point tomorrow is my guess, unfortunately.

agree....leave it until tuesday that would be better.

6 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

We aren't going to win games by playing long balls with our squad.

Fair enough. I just used that as a generic term as it is the style of game which is usually decried as being inferior for some reason.

imho it is condemned by some managers because they play this sh!tty tiki taka game and can't defend against it, so they go off on some cryfest about it.

Archived