The Wardrobe Watch

unclej

12 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Perfectly and throughout, in my view. With the possible exception of no return clause but even that is understandable.

Manager one wants to move a player on.  Only/best deal open to DCFC was Fulham.  From what we know it sounds a good deal financially and for a player that manager one didn't want

Manager 2 returns and would like CM back.  CM would like to come back because he's fed up with not seeing his family and with the commute.  He also likes playing for manager 2.

DCFC explore with Fulham the possibility of CM coming back even though the loan deal doesn't mean that they can require it to happen.  Fulham refuse and their manager - who is the only person ever to have been publicly quoted on this topic - makes all kinds of accusations and insinuations about why CM is not playing; then he plays him; and then he drops him again (after the window is shut).  DCFC accept the fact that Fulham do not have to return CM.

Manager 2 says to DCFC: I would like CM to be part of my squad for 2017/18 but his contract runs out soon.  DCFC renegotiate the contract with CM.  By so doing they also, should they subsequently change their mind about CM, create a greater transfer value for him that would not otherwise have existed.

Sounds like DCFC have acted fine.

That's a very good, corporately sanitised version. I commend you.

I disagree, and believe for a number of reasons that Derby did not behave perfectly, and certainly neither did Martin. 

And if I'm honest, his behaviour and attitude at Fulham means I am in no rush to want to see him back in a Derby shirt. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, VulcanRam said:

And if I'm honest, his behaviour and attitude at Fulham means I am in no rush to want to see him back in a Derby shirt. 

You probably weren't anyway.

Why on earth would Fulham pay to keep such an obnoxious, lazy, useless, striker like Martin anyway?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Why on earth would Fulham pay to keep such an obnoxious, lazy, useless, striker like Martin anyway?

It seems they are asking themselves that question right now seeing as he isn't even in the squad.

No, I was a big Martin fan, I thought he did very well for us up to a point. This is about non-footballing reasons, to quote a Mel phrase.

Perhaps it was a tactical decision. At the time we were a serious threat for a play off position. They probably would of been 1.5m better off if they let him come back but it could be argued (not from me) that with Martin we would pip Fulham to a 6th spot. You probably generate a decent fee just for being in the play offs alone with tv and ticket sales but if you win it its worth over 100m?

So reasons to keep him could be to strengthen team position one way (playing him) or another (keeping him at play off rivals expense)

I could well be reading too much into this but its just a thought ^^ Perhaps they just wanted to keep him because he was in form. Who knows.

2 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

This is about non-footballing reasons, to quote a Mel phrase.

Of which we know about as much as we do about Mel's 'sackings'. We have only verbatim from their manager and now a few lines from Aluko. And as for being dropped, maybe they're playing him like Pearson did? Oh and isn't he still their top scorer?

1 hour ago, Simsy said:

Perhaps it was a tactical decision. At the time we were a serious threat for a play off position. They probably would of been 1.5m better off if they let him come back but it could be argued (not from me) that with Martin we would pip Fulham to a 6th spot. You probably generate a decent fee just for being in the play offs alone with tv and ticket sales but if you win it its worth over 100m?

So reasons to keep him could be to strengthen team position one way (playing him) or another (keeping him at play off rivals expense)

I could well be reading too much into this but its just a thought ^^ Perhaps they just wanted to keep him because he was in form. Who knows.

I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory because, as far as my impressions go, Fulham simply don't have the money to be able to throw it around with such abandon. Yes, it's something Mel might do for us, but they're not in the same financial position.

48 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory because, as far as my impressions go, Fulham simply don't have the money to be able to throw it around with such abandon.

Except that's exactly what Joka threatened - we couldn't have him back as he was a good player, best striker at Derby even.

I imagine he thought he'd be able to 'manage the situation', unfortunately that wouldn't just be our player but his too. I wonder whether the squad aren't as happy with the decision to keep CM as Joka was?

5 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He was took on a season long loan, it would have been too late once they took him on in September, earliest return is June, always was......

It all was good regarding Martin and his Fulham team mates, what was it he said about how good they were, it went tits up the moment we informed his agent of a big pay rise and contract extension [Remember their manager saying somebody has turned his head] back in late December and the infamous refuse to play/ missing my family/ oh I'm injured bit..........Its gone bad to worse for all parties since regarding the Martin saga....

4 hours ago, VulcanRam said:

That's a very good, corporately sanitised version. I commend you.

I disagree, and believe for a number of reasons that Derby did not behave perfectly, and certainly neither did Martin. 

Exactly and this is even understated. His acts - going on strike, not trying etc - are just a disgrace to himself and us. He's not a footballer. Footballers talk on the field with their feet and want to play every game, and they are willing to be away from home to further their career. That's not just footballers that's all professional sports team players. Getting frustrated because you're a top player and your club won't sell you to Real Madrid or Bayern is at least understandable in that you want to be playing with the best but this is a lateral move either way. He's mediocre. And he isn't in a foreign country adjusting to a different culture. He's 2 hours away. It's utterly pathetic and speaks volumes about the character of the man. His reputation as a professional is in tatters.  No wonder mcclaren apologised and tried to deflect blame for it all.

23 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Exactly and this is even understated. His acts - going on strike, not trying etc - are just a disgrace to himself and us. He's not a footballer. Footballers talk on the field with their feet and want to play every game, and they are willing to be away from home to further their career. That's not just footballers that's all professional sports team players. Getting frustrated because you're a top player and your club won't sell you to Real Madrid or Bayern is at least understandable in that you want to be playing with the best but this is a lateral move either way. He's mediocre. And he isn't in a foreign country adjusting to a different culture. He's 2 hours away. It's utterly pathetic and speaks volumes about the character of the man. His reputation as a professional is in tatters.  No wonder mcclaren apologised and tried to deflect blame for it all.

He didn't go on strike-Jokanovic confirmed this 

When has anyone said he's not trying? There's been no reason given for him being dropped 

Im not sure when Martin has said anything publically the whole time this has gone on. So surely his football has done the talking?

We know nothing of the ins and outs of personal situation so probably best for everyone not to be looking too much into it

Oh and he's a very good intelligent footballer, I could back this up with a video showing all his goals and assists for Derby but saying you won't bring up anything factual to make a point neither will I

Has there ever been anything concrete about Martin's so-called behaviour?

I mean there has been plenty of rumours and such, but any actual proof he's put no effort in?

I know it's only another stat (I can't link to it, work firewall, bah!) but he's currently 9th overall rating wise for Fulham on whoscored.com, and is their top league goal scorer this season.

Doesn't make it seem like he's not been trying to me.

He played, scored and assisted in the game the day after he signed his new deal.

Since then his minutes have been slowly reduced until his full exclusion from the squad. 

This could be because Martin is being a see you next Tuesday or it could just be Fulham phasing him out as they know he won't be there much longer. Nobody actually knows.

Never assume, it makes an ass of u and me.

I know I'm expecting too much but It wouldn't it be exciting if we could get a proven goal scorer next season. Someone with 69 goals from their last 162 appearances. Someone who is strong, clever and able to hold the ball up to enable midfield to play off him. Able to score off either foot able to head the ball. What a difference he would make to our side. 

Would be even better if we could get that kind of player for free but that's just being silly.

You are right @cannable. Yet Fulham sit 7th, currently the best positioned team in the league to make the play offs outside the top 6. If Martin was so good, so valuable, so willing and everything was rosy in the Fulham garden, do people really think he wouldn't be even making the squad, given that he's their top scorer? 

Would the Fulham manager throw away his best chance of making the play offs just to spite Derby County? I really can't think that he would.

10 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

You are right @cannable. Yet Fulham sit 7th, currently the best positioned team in the league to make the play offs outside the top 6. If Martin was so good, so valuable, so willing and everything was rosy in the Fulham garden, do people really think he wouldn't be even making the squad, given that he's their top scorer? 

Would the Fulham manager throw away his best chance of making the play offs just to spite Derby County? I really can't think that he would

The problem being - which won't go away - he doesn't want to be there and everyone knows it. So every penalty miss, every shot missed, every pass not made, etc is going to be examined and debated. The other players are going to wonder too.

Joka knew this and assumed he could get it to work, well for whatever reason he can't. I think you are wrong to assume its down to Martin 'not trying', afterall he has played and tried plenty both before and after his new contract. But 'give a dog a bad name and it sticks'.

I quite happy Fulham have made a cock-up of it, they're now two strikers down if they don't play Martin. Have I *any* sympathy for them, not a jot! They supposedly had other striker targets during the Jan window, they could have kept the loan fee sent Martin back and signed someone who did want to be there, but they preferred not to. Sod them!

Just think how many more points we might have had with another goal scorer on our books! That's also why CM isn't here.

8 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

I think that's too much of a conspiracy theory because, as far as my impressions go, Fulham simply don't have the money to be able to throw it around with such abandon. Yes, it's something Mel might do for us, but they're not in the same financial position.

Fulham are financially fine these days I think.

14 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

The problem being - which won't go away - he doesn't want to be there and everyone knows it. So every penalty miss, every shot missed, every pass not made, etc is going to be examined and debated. The other players are going to wonder too.

Joka knew this and assumed he could get it to work, well for whatever reason he can't. I think you are wrong to assume its down to Martin 'not trying', afterall he has played and tried plenty both before and after his new contract. But 'give a dog a bad name and it sticks'.

I quite happy Fulham have made a cock-up of it, they're now two strikers down if they don't play Martin. Have I *any* sympathy for them, not a jot! They supposedly had other striker targets during the Jan window, they could have kept the loan fee sent Martin back and signed someone who did want to be there, but they preferred not to. Sod them!

Just think how many more points we might have had with another goal scorer on our books! That's also why CM isn't here.

All good points, my view that it's not all down to Martin, but part of it is, and part of it is down to Derby and the whole contract shenanigans, and part of it down to Fulham.

As for your point in bold, you're absolutely right.

Archived