Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My initial reaction was that this shows a desperate lack of imagination by Mel and brings into question who was truly accountable for McClaren's acrimonious departure in the first place. Someone will have to hold their hands up.

It's obvious that the thinking is that if it worked relatively well the first time, what is to stop it from doing so again? But by the same token, you could argue that if the working relationship between McClaren and the club became dysfunctional and irreparable once, what is to stop that from happening again?

This is not the same club with the same infrastructure, the same togetherness and team spirit, or the same playing squad that McClaren inherited. Some key components of what made his team so good at that time are missing and what may have worked for us then may just end up looking predictable and outdated now. It's a very different set of circumstances to walk into.

That said, if it works, it works. We can only wait and see. I had massive reservations about his appointment the first time and he proved me spectacularly wrong, so let's hope that happens again. Honestly I would have preferred to see us go in a different direction. We needed fresh eyes, fresh ideas, fresh impetus, in my opinion.

But at the same time, having witnessed his previous tenure, it's an unsurprising move. Mel's club philosophy is built almost entirely around the football played during McClaren's tenure, so who would be better to deliver on the Derby way than McClaren himself?

Personally, if he is appointed, I can see the fans being more sympathetic and giving him more time to turn things around in the steadfast belief we'll move back towards where we were. But my fear is that it just won't be as smooth, simple or straightforward as people are imagining. This notion that'll he come in on a white horse and everything will suddenly click and fall into place and we will go charging up the table playing sumptuous attacking football feels beyond hopeful.

Of course, that would be fantastic, but we know our club and when has it ever been that simple with Derby County? :lol:

34 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I feel dirty saying this but I'm getting a bit excited, it's like an ex girlfriend cheating on you but taking her back remembering the good times expecting her not to make the same mistake again. 

Glad you changed your mind. :thumbsup:

38 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

but he hadnt a plan b and lost the dressing room. enough fire alone, its alright if you want to live in a time warp and stay 2nd tier as we aint going nowhere with him except top 6 till xmas

your stance is a bit boring now, but you're entitled to it. We've just seen a so-called quality manager struggle with a plan B. To be fair, I couldn't care less what division we are in as long as I am entertained. Perhaps you could go and SUPPORT Leicester, cos you don't seem like you support Derby.

37 minutes ago, valleyram said:

bryso ur very good at making runs into the box and scoring goals and assisting yea gaffer , well ive been thinking its better you sit deep and don't do that !!!!!!!!!! club is a joke and he is a joke

Bryson, you've missed vital sitters when we needed you, you went missing in important games and we'd probably have done better if you hadn't had your head turned by Burnley.

36 minutes ago, inter politics said:

Hmm for me, he'd have a lot of work to do to overcome trust issues

Those last few months last time was freefall..the players & fans lost trust, as he handled the Newcastle stuff very poorly.

A couple of good results can change everything in football but he has a lot of making up to do!

He did handle it poorly, tried to play it smooth and cool, but ultimately, handling something badly is not the same as being disloyal and breaking trust. He DIDN'T leave, he was sacked. If anything, he was the victim. We have had 2 freefalls since, I think it's endemic within the squad.

31 minutes ago, Albert said:

McClaren's managerial career is hardly inspiring, even with us. If nothing else from a manager, I want to see loyalty, and to be blunt, McClaren has demonstrated a lack of it, and his performances as a manager aren't enough to overcome that. 

If he comes, I'll back him like I usually would, but I'm not keen on this. 

English manager winning in a high-profile foreign league with a club not considered as contender? Not-inspiring? Only if you're a bit daft like!

Lack of loyalty? Where?

3 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Correct m8 this baffles me , Mel always going on about loyalty and he does this 

It was Mel that was disloyal to McClaren, not vice-versa!

43 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A lot of them appreciated his methods at the start but they started to lose faith when the results started going poorly. George Thorne didn't particularly like McClaren I've heard after he rushed him on numerous occasions and somewhat blames Mac for his injury problems since then(the small injuries not the serious ones like leg breaks). But footballers are fickle just like supporters. I'm waiting for the first player to come out and say that they never wanted him to leave in the first place.

Have you ever considered becoming an agent? 

You seem to be unofficial spokesman for most managers, players and fans of other teams so it really is the logical next step!

9 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready for goals again. Even at our worst under McClaren we were scoring a boatload under him.  Bent and Ince had absurd records during their loan spells under him.  I can imagine Blackman and Johnson finding their feet under him too.

Hope you get your wish. Very rare that going back ever works out to even match the first time round, and that wasn't a success. Lots of factions in the club still, all the Clement, Wassal & Pearson leftovers to deal with. Don't get me wrong I was a big fan of Mac first time round, till it turned sour......

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have you ever considered becoming an agent? 

You seem to be unofficial spokesman for most managers, players and fans of other teams so it really is the logical next step!

Only if it pays well , wouldn't mind get paid as much as mino raoila that's for sure

51 minutes ago, McLovin said:

A lot of them appreciated his methods at the start but they started to lose faith when the results started going poorly. George Thorne didn't particularly like McClaren I've heard after he rushed him on numerous occasions and somewhat blames Mac for his injury problems since then(the small injuries not the serious ones like leg breaks). But footballers are fickle just like supporters. I'm waiting for the first player to come out and say that they never wanted him to leave in the first place.

The same Thorne who signed for McClaren and then played 3 whole games under him? 

Not sure that counts as being rushed back...

Archived