Return of the Mac

toddy

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if already been posted, but the players seem happy with the imminent appointment 

http://www.skysports.com/share/10614465

Derby striker Darren Bent told Sky Sports News HQ that the return of McClaren would be welcomed by the players - but a big surprise.

"The players will be a bit baffled....because we didn't see that coming," he said. "From what we heard when he left it was left on quite bad terms but he was a fantastic manager.

"Anyone who watched us in that period would say we played some of the best football we had played in a long, long time so from a footballing point of view it would make sense.

"But at the same time Chris Powell has been doing a fantastic job as well and if McClaren gets the job we'd like to hope that Chris stays and helps him out as well. If he doesn't and Chris gets it then we will be equally as happy."

Many said that the rumours of Mac being linked with the Newcastle job last time was the reason of us missing out on the play offs. However, I'm sure Chris Martin got injured and people were not happy with no 'plan B'. 

Well the playing staff has changed slightly but there is no Martin so will Mac now have a 'Plan B' 

I just can't believe what I'm hearing over the last few hours, Mac's coming back ?. I thought our Chairman was prone to making bad decision making but this really does take the biscuit. It can only all end in tears sadly & not tears of joy either.

Going to throw a few hypothetical things into the hat here both positive and negative 

If the players have had an input in this or any appointment along the lines who do you want to play for :-disaster long term.

Steve as coach with a better recruitment team around him  :-  ok ish happy days 

Steve as manager with CP as coach /assistant :- have misgivings about this one 

CP as manager with SM as coach :-  happy with SM as coach but not CP as the No1 

SM as coach with a new DOF [experienced ] best option with new recruitment team .

Not sure if ego's or the past will allow some options though.

5 minutes ago, Dazza B said:

Sorry if already been posted, but the players seem happy with the imminent appointment 

http://www.skysports.com/share/10614465

Derby striker Darren Bent told Sky Sports News HQ that the return of McClaren would be welcomed by the players - but a big surprise.

"The players will be a bit baffled....because we didn't see that coming," he said. "From what we heard when he left it was left on quite bad terms but he was a fantastic manager.

"Anyone who watched us in that period would say we played some of the best football we had played in a long, long time so from a footballing point of view it would make sense.

"But at the same time Chris Powell has been doing a fantastic job as well and if McClaren gets the job we'd like to hope that Chris stays and helps him out as well. If he doesn't and Chris gets it then we will be equally as happy."

I know it's SSN but that can't be a real quote can it? Why would they let the players talk in the media about an appointment that hasn't happened yet?

Just now, TETRA said:

I just can't believe what I'm hearing over the last few hours, Mac's coming back ?. I thought our Chairman was prone to making bad decision making but this really does take the biscuit. It can only all end in tears sadly & not tears of joy either.

Correct m8 this baffles me , Mel always going on about loyalty and he does this 

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready for goals again. Even at our worst under McClaren we were scoring a boatload under him.  Bent and Ince had absurd records during their loan spells under him.  I can imagine Blackman and Johnson finding their feet under him too.

1 minute ago, Tombo said:

I know it's SSN but that can't be a real quote can it? Why would they let the players talk in the media about an appointment that hasn't happened yet?

He's in the Sky studio as a guest, seemed stunned himself.

20 minutes ago, europia said:

I read that McClaren has started a university course. I guess he will be saying to his course tutor " I've  had no contact from Derby County, just rumours and speculation...oh by the way, hypothetically would I get my fees back if I jack in the course....and maybe even a bit of compensation ? "

He's probably asking for a gap year :lol:

Actually I guess he will carry on with it as it's a 2 year part time course at Manchester Metropolitan University. Masters degree in Sporting Directorship. So what will he do once he's better qualified than Mel and Sam :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

YESSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!  I'm ready for goals again. Even at our worst under McClaren we were scoring a boatload under him.  Bent and Ince had absurd records during their loan spells under him.  I can imagine Blackman and Johnson finding their feet under him too.

I'll join the celebrations mate!

Just binning off the rest of work to head down to Craven Cottage and give Chrissy my train ticket for Saturday...

Archived