Beer Thread

Cisse

55 minutes ago, Coconut said:

8%

I may have exaggerated it being the 'king' of supermarket IPAs because there are a lot of good ones now, but it's part of the new range at Tesco and Vocation have been my favourite brewery this year

Morrisons have started selling local products and over in Chesterfield they have been selling some tins of Buxton Brewery ales. I have tried a LupulusX Simcoe at 5.4% and Axe Edge IPA at 6.8% both very good local beers they have a web site I haven’t tried any others yet but they have a selection.

https://www.buxtonbrewery.co.uk/beers

On 18/09/2020 at 17:43, Van Gritters said:

Morrisons have started selling local products and over in Chesterfield they have been selling some tins of Buxton Brewery ales. I have tried a LupulusX Simcoe at 5.4% and Axe Edge IPA at 6.8% both very good local beers they have a web site I haven’t tried any others yet but they have a selection.

https://www.buxtonbrewery.co.uk/beers

I’ve had a few deliveries and have tried most of them recently!  All of their LupulusX range are good and I liked their Intercontinental - very dry and crisp. Wild Boar also great, a tasty IPA and not too strong. They do a lovely coffee porter as well.

Buxton beers are typically 7-8/10 on the overall scale, although their collab with Omnipollo is legendary (the Yellow Belly stout).

It's hard to judge a brewery entirely on their supermarket output because they're often made to order for a set price, Tesco / Morrisons say "make us a beer you can produce in large quantities, which can sell at £3 with us both making a profit" and the brewery tends to scale down an existing recipe to fit in wth the remit.

When it's an existing beer the results can be a little disappointing, it works best when they're creating a new beer exclusively for the stated market. Sometimes you can really tell (when you know what you're drinking) that they've subbed in lesser ingredients, sometimes it's very well hidden.

That's why I was such a fan of the Vocation 15 Mile Road Trip, you wouldn't know when drinking it that there was anything taken out when you compare it some of the more expensive beer they sell on their site.

Buxton have their King Slayer DIPA  & their Rain Shadow Imperial Stout in Tesco at the minute. They're both beers which existed before Tesco took an interest in them and they've been rebrewed to cut costs. That said the King Slayer is still a bloody good beer, I had one yesterday.

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

Exciting isn’t it?

Looks like you’ve got some beauties there!

I was targeting special releases (generally barrel/oak aged stuff)  and new ones to me for about 60% of the order. The Monte Cristo was a brand new beer launched in the week I bought it

I think my favourite thing is getting big bottles of stuff I'd normally only be able to get in 330ml. It gives you the time to really savour it without fear of drinking it all too quickly.

I'm starting off with a La Trappe Bock.

Edited by Coconut

On 17/09/2020 at 19:06, Grumpy Git said:

When in Rome, or in this case Antwerp;

A cheeky little 8% number, cheers.

20200917_200531.jpg

I followed this one up with a Duvel.

The one pictured completely knocks the Duvel into a cocked hat for me, its a much smoother drink.

Edited by Grumpy Git

On 23/09/2020 at 18:06, Coconut said:

Belgiuminabox order arrived

rVS7NoF.jpg

DpkUggS.jpg

QcFSS7D.jpg

Nice selection.

How long did you have to wait? I've had an order in with Kurt now for 4 weeks, and another one in for 2, and neither have even progressed to 'preparation of your order'.

In the meantime, I have had 3 orders arrive from web-bier in Munich, average elapsed time between placement and receipt being 4 days, and a couple from Beers of Europe (which never takes more than 3 days).

I might have to start breaking into my emergency supply of Tripel Karmeleit from Tesco (which currently stands at just 33 bottles).

18 minutes ago, Eddie said:

Nice selection.

How long did you have to wait? I've had an order in with Kurt now for 4 weeks, and another one in for 2, and neither have even progressed to 'preparation of your order'.

In the meantime, I have had 3 orders arrive from web-bier in Munich, average elapsed time between placement and receipt being 4 days, and a couple from Beers of Europe (which never takes more than 3 days).

I might have to start breaking into my emergency supply of Tripel Karmeleit from Tesco (which currently stands at just 33 bottles).

6 and a half / 7 weeks.

Order placed 3rd August, marked as in preparation 17th August. 17th September I sent an email wishing them well with the warehouse move/new website etc and asking for an update on my order (no written response). 23rd September I get an email from DHL saying it'll be delivered.

I'm not sure if my email expediated the process or it was pure coincidence, but it may be worth a friendly nudge?

I've just been paid, so I think I might express my gratitude by placing another order!

Edited by Coconut

6 minutes ago, Coconut said:

6 and a half / 7 weeks.

Order placed 3rd August, marked as in preparation 17th August. 17th September I sent an email wishing them well with the warehouse move/new website etc and asking for an update on my order (no written response). 23rd September I get an email from DHL saying it'll be delivered.

I'm not sure if my email expediated the process or it was pure coincidence, but it may be worth a friendly nudge?

Nudged a week ago, exercise repeated this morning.