Beer Thread

Cisse

On 25/04/2020 at 08:57, Eddie said:

Two deliveries arrived yesterday. One from Beers of Europe containing the following:

• 4 Kloster Andechs Bergbock Hell
  • 4 Paulaner Salvator
  • 4 Ayinger Lager Hell 
  • 2 Abbaye des Rocs Blonde
  • 2 Bourgogne des Flandres Brune 
  • 2 Tongerlo Tripel Prior
  • 2 Trappistes Rochefort 10 
  • 4 Affligem Tripel 

and one from Belgiuminabox containing

• 2 Waterloo Tripel Blond
  • 2 Straffe Hendrik Tripel
  • 2 Tongerlo Tripel Prior
  • 2 Westmalle Tripel
  • 2 La Corne Triple
  • 2 Goliath Tripel
  • 2 Kappitel Watou Tripel 10
  • 2 Karmeleit Tripel
  • 2 La Trappe Tripel
  • 2 LeFort Tripel
  • 2 Gulden Draak
  • 2 Gulden Draak Brewmaster 2019
  • 2 Inglorious Quad
  • 2 Kasteel Barista Chocolate Quad
  • 2 La Trappe Quadrupel
  • 2 Malheur 12
  • 2 Bush Charactere
  • 2 St Bernardus Abt 12

Boxes currently in quarantine until Monday. Luckily I still have another couple of hundred beers available to me. I am taking my 12 weeks of house arrest in style.

I'm getting quite a taste for Belgian tripels. Any particular ones you recommend? 

I like the Duval citra tripel and Corsendonk amongst others. 

Any assistance welcomed! 

On 29/04/2020 at 17:56, Coconut said:

Might be easier to say what I haven't drank since the start of the month? Got plenty more to go at too.

Sorry for the nerdy spreadsheet, I only made it for this post, honest.

image.thumb.png.7bbf441a491e6c4db3180f12e304e920.png

Got to the 8th one down and tried to put you on ignore only to remember that I can't because I'm a mod.

PEANUT BUTTER AND JELLY PORTER....for the love of god man give yourself a good talking to.

1 hour ago, Anag Ram said:

I'm getting quite a taste for Belgian tripels. Any particular ones you recommend? 

I like the Duval citra tripel and Corsendonk amongst others. 

Any assistance welcomed! 

There's a new Duvel tripel hop with Cascade as the third hop. I'm told it's an improvement on Citra, which is sooooo grapefruity. I used to use it myself in home brewing a few years ago, and it's not very subtle.

If hoppy beers are your thing, then a couple of Belgians I would definitely recommend are Hommelbier and Troubadour Magma - subtle but quite hoppy all the same.

Corsendonk Agnus is very nice, so you are definitely on the right track. 

A few beers which are regular go-to beers for the wife (she is an absolute tripel nut, whereas I'm more into the maltier dubbels and quads, but I do love each of the following):

• Tripel LeFort
  • Waterloo Tripel Blond
  • Tongerlo Prior
  • Straffe Hendrik Tripel
  • Westmalle Tripel
  • Tripel Karmeleit
  • La Trappe Tripel (actually Dutch, from the monastery of Koningshoeven)

If you like sour(ish) beers, Straffe Hendrik Wild is worth trying. It's basically their 'normal' tripel with an injection of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis for the secondary fermentation. I think it's remarkable, and the sourness is very subtle. There is also one Trappist monastery who only brew one beer, and that is Orval. It's not so much sour as 'funky' - well worth getting your hands on a bottle to try.

There is a style of Belgian beers which are specifically 'summer' beers, blond like the tripels, but not as strong (although most are in the 6-7% range so hardly 'session' beers, and that is the Saisons. You can get your hands on one at Tesco, believe it or not, and it will only set you back £5 for 3 bottles - the beer is called 'St Feuillien Saison' and it's quite delicious. Serve it cold on a summer's day. Other saisons worth looking for in decent beer shops include Saison Dupont, Urthel Saisoniere and the wonderfully named Saison Silly.

Another style which Belgium is renowned for is the spontaneously fermented Gueuzes and Lambics (think about the way that cider is fermented), but that's really for another day.

One other style which is worth a mention is Gruut. This is a style that is pretty well exclusive to Ghent, and its history goes back 400 or so years and originated because of extremely high taxes on hops - so the Ghent brewers turned to a mixture of herbs as a bittering agent.

Edited by Eddie

7 hours ago, Eddie said:

There's a new Duvel tripel hop with Cascade as the third hop. I'm told it's an improvement on Citra, which is sooooo grapefruity. I used to use it myself in home brewing a few years ago, and it's not very subtle.

If hoppy beers are your thing, then a couple of Belgians I would definitely recommend are Hommelbier and Troubadour Magma - subtle but quite hoppy all the same.

Corsendonk Agnus is very nice, so you are definitely on the right track. 

A few beers which are regular go-to beers for the wife (she is an absolute tripel nut, whereas I'm more into the maltier dubbels and quads, but I do love each of the following):

• Tripel LeFort
  • Waterloo Tripel Blond
  • Tongerlo Prior
  • Straffe Hendrik Tripel
  • Westmalle Tripel
  • Tripel Karmeleit
  • La Trappe Tripel (actually Dutch, from the monastery of Koningshoeven)

If you like sour(ish) beers, Straffe Hendrik Wild is worth trying. It's basically their 'normal' tripel with an injection of Brettanomyces Bruxellensis for the secondary fermentation. I think it's remarkable, and the sourness is very subtle. There is also one Trappist monastery who only brew one beer, and that is Orval. It's not so much sour as 'funky' - well worth getting your hands on a bottle to try.

There is a style of Belgian beers which are specifically 'summer' beers, blond like the tripels, but not as strong (although most are in the 6-7% range so hardly 'session' beers, and that is the Saisons. You can get your hands on one at Tesco, believe it or not, and it will only set you back £5 for 3 bottles - the beer is called 'St Feuillien Saison' and it's quite delicious. Serve it cold on a summer's day. Other saisons worth looking for in decent beer shops include Saison Dupont, Urthel Saisoniere and the wonderfully named Saison Silly.

Another style which Belgium is renowned for is the spontaneously fermented Gueuzes and Lambics (think about the way that cider is fermented), but that's really for another day.

One other style which is worth a mention is Gruut. This is a style that is pretty well exclusive to Ghent, and its history goes back 400 or so years and originated because of extremely high taxes on hops - so the Ghent brewers turned to a mixture of herbs as a bittering agent.

Wow!

Eddie thanks so very much for taking the time to deliver such a comprehensive response.

I’ve been using Beerwulf for a while now and have enjoyed sampling some really nice beers. 

I agree with you on St Feuillien. Tried that in the latest batch. Lovely.

I will certainly give some of the others a go. I am very much in the quality over quantity camp now and don’t mind paying a little extra for that indulgence.

Many thanks again and cheers!

8 minutes ago, froggg said:

Eyes off my Vibrant Forest stone sap IPA you little madam.

C5A4A72D-2323-4D39-A72A-22CE9ADED0C2.jpeg

22 hours ago, sage said:

Just had a 750ml bottle of Tripel Karmaliet (8.4%) in the sun reading a WW2 book. Feeling happy, a little tipsy and slightly sleepy. Happy days. 

What a coincidence - the Memsahib and I shared a 75 cl Tripel Karmeleit yesterday. Today, we shared a Gouden Carolus Tripel, before I ventured solo with a small bottle of Watou Tripel. Currently cooking Stoofvlees, with two bottles of Corsendonk Pater instead of the usual Leffe Brune.

24 minutes ago, Kinder said:

Jaipur is the bee’s knees, love it. I love most Thornbridge beers though!

Top notch quality beer. The brewery is about 200m from the in-laws house. They have done a beer called Florence and the money goes to the NHS.

Edited by Van Gritters

We’d been planning a visit to the tap rooms but didn’t get round to it. They’ve opened a pub in Birmingham though - The Colmore. They’ve spent a lot of money on it and it‘s a very nicely done out pub with great beers. The Halcyon’s a bit strong mind!

I still don't understand why Derbyshire brewery Thornbridge don't appear to have a single pub in Derbyshire, but poo loads in Sheffield and now (apparently) one in Birmingham. It does actually put me off them a little bit!

Anyway, currently sipping a Buxton/Omnipollo Yellow Belly Sundae (their peanut butter & biscuit imperial stout, this time aged in bourbon barrels, at 12%). I say sipping, but I have no self control and it's only taken me about 20 minutes to drink it.

Edited by Coconut

Public Service Announcement...

Beers of Europe have (or possibly had until I ordered 2 cases on Thursday) Mount St Bernard Tynt Meadow on sale, cheaper than you can buy it directly from the monastery.