Beer Thread

Cisse

New beer order from Munich just arrived. I ordered it on Sunday, and it's come 800 miles in such a short time - great service and very reasonably priced. Just a few sipping beers which the Memsahib and I both love, and which make a change from some of the heavier, more intense Belgian ones. 

• Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock - 6 x 50 cl
  • Bischofshof Weissbierbock "old father" - 3 x 50 cl
  • Paulaner Salvator - 6 x 50 cl
  • Erdinger Pikantus Dark Wheat - 3 x 50 cl
  • Hacker Pschorr Munchner Kellerbier Anno 1417 - 3 x 50 cl
  • Hacker-Pschorr Munich - 3 x 50 cl

Total price, a little over £50 including delivery.

4 hours ago, Eddie said:

New beer order from Munich just arrived. I ordered it on Sunday, and it's come 800 miles in such a short time - great service and very reasonably priced. Just a few sipping beers which the Memsahib and I both love, and which make a change from some of the heavier, more intense Belgian ones. 

• Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock - 6 x 50 cl
  • Bischofshof Weissbierbock "old father" - 3 x 50 cl
  • Paulaner Salvator - 6 x 50 cl
  • Erdinger Pikantus Dark Wheat - 3 x 50 cl
  • Hacker Pschorr Munchner Kellerbier Anno 1417 - 3 x 50 cl
  • Hacker-Pschorr Munich - 3 x 50 cl

Total price, a little over £50 including delivery.

Very good price and delivery all things considered.

I've ordered 40 x 50cl bottles of Budvar dark today, from a UK store and it was £72, del 5-7 working days.

A bit disappointed that delivery cost doubled from 1 crate to 2, mind.

Public Service Announcement...

Tesco have just announced that they are now stocking Triple Karmeleit. For the uninitiated, this is probably the Memsahib's favourite beer. It is utterly world-class.

It's not cheap as far as bottled supermarket beer is concerned (£5 for a 75 cl bottle), but if you compare it to what you would pay for a pint of wallop in the pub (remember those things?), it's worth it.

I've ordered 4 bottles.

Let's hope Mickleover Tesco have taken notice and start selling it! No guarantees that every Tesco will stock it, Mickloever don't sell the St Feuillien for example.

The only caveat is that it's now owned/brewed by AB Invev, so it may not be quite the beer it once was.

£5 for a 75cl bottle is nothing compared the prices in willing to pay for world class beer tbf

Edited by Coconut

1 hour ago, Eddie said:

Public Service Announcement...

Tesco have just announced that they are now stocking Triple Karmeleit. For the uninitiated, this is probably the Memsahib's favourite beer. It is utterly world-class.

It's not cheap as far as bottled supermarket beer is concerned (£5 for a 75 cl bottle), but if you compare it to what you would pay for a pint of wallop in the pub (remember those things?), it's worth it.

I've ordered 4 bottles.

I've tried ordering this as part of a grocery shop and it's nowhere to be seen. What's happening

5 minutes ago, sage said:

I've tried ordering this as part of a grocery shop and it's nowhere to be seen. What's happening

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/306651832

Do you have to tell it which Tesco store you're ordering from? Maybe once it knows your location it adjusts which products it shows you.

Edited by Coconut

2 hours ago, sage said:

Not sure. I found it, added 4 bottles to my order this evening. It's on my picking list... (note that 'Tripel' is misspelled).

4  Triple Karmeliet Beer 750Ml  £5.00  £20.00

Just checked the website...

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=karmeliet

As @Coconut suggests, it may be address-sensitive. You might have to do a physical shop at a big superstore.

Edited by Eddie

14 hours ago, Eddie said:

Not sure. I found it, added 4 bottles to my order this evening. It's on my picking list... (note that 'Tripel' is misspelled).

4  Triple Karmeliet Beer 750Ml  £5.00  £20.00

Just checked the website...

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/search?query=karmeliet

As @Coconut suggests, it may be address-sensitive. You might have to do a physical shop at a big superstore.

And they've arrived. History in the making.

Just supping a quad from a Belgian brewery I'd never heard of before, Alvinne, and their Land van Mortgagne (12.8%)

Apparently they use their own cultivated yeast strain for all of their beers, which is never usually a bad thing unless it's Shepherd Neame! For these guys it seems to mean that there's an ever so slight sourness to everything and you can definitely get that.

I do like a bit of experimentation though so a sour quad is something I'm onboard with.

The alcohol is a little too obvious, and it's a little too sugary, but there's still that very obvious belgianness to it, probably a 7.5-8/10 in terms of the best quads but an interesting diversion.

I've got their Phi, a smoked pineapple  Flemish sour blonde to drink soon

On 12/06/2020 at 21:47, Coconut said:

Just supping a quad from a Belgian brewery I'd never heard of before, Alvinne, and their Land van Mortgagne (12.8%)

Apparently they use their own cultivated yeast strain for all of their beers, which is never usually a bad thing unless it's Shepherd Neame! For these guys it seems to mean that there's an ever so slight sourness to everything and you can definitely get that.

I do like a bit of experimentation though so a sour quad is something I'm onboard with.

The alcohol is a little too obvious, and it's a little too sugary, but there's still that very obvious belgianness to it, probably a 7.5-8/10 in terms of the best quads but an interesting diversion.

I've got their Phi, a smoked pineapple  Flemish sour blonde to drink soon

Their Morpheus Saison is to die for.

Sat outside with the Memsahib today, sharing the following...

• Adriaen Brouwer Tripel
  • De Dolle Oerbier
  • Malheur 10
  • Weltenburger Kloster Asam Bock

Then it rained, which didn't put any sort of crimp on the proceedings. We just moved into the kitchen watching the lightning.

Bonus: Don't have to water the chillies this evening.

9 hours ago, oomarkwright said:

Bartons garage in Chilwell selling real ale from the barrel at weekends 5-6 choices. 

2 or 4 pints container. £3 a pint. Had Oakham citra last week. Thornbridge Jaipur yesterday. 

I like the Jaipur I think you need to get the temperature right with it to get the real taste. I had a mini keg once and kept it in the fridge. I took it out and found it tasted nicer a little warmer than fridge temperature.

A couple of imperial stouts downed since finishing work at 5pm. I really need to learn to drink more slowly!

Both from Vocation brewery in Hebden Bridge, one was coconut & maple syrup aged in bourbon barrels, the other chocolate & banana aged in rum barrels, 11.6% & 12% respectively ?

Not world beaters but still a sweet treat. 5 cans of each left to drink.

Edited by Coconut

21 hours ago, sage said:

I had a St Bernardus Prior 8 today. Little disappointing. An OK Dubbel but was hoping for more from that brewer.

I can't say I'm that impressed either. The tripel is excellent and the Abt is utterly out of this world, so the fact that the dubbel is a bit 'meh' is a surprise.