Beer Thread

Cisse

On 18/07/2019 at 11:16, Bwash_Ram said:

Just discovered this little demon, lethal stuff cant sneck too many.

Got quite a strong malty/barley taste

b96b120a2eec553eac51d049b5c0ece2.png

ahhh, karpackie... i remember having two of them back when i was 15 and was absolutely off my marbles. haven't touched em since.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ramit said:

Had this one for the first time while in Spain.  Excellent beer, a bit bitter.

000Veltins-670x670.jpg

Veltins nearly became the lager of choice in a lot of pubs I went to. Used to really like it then had a couple of shocking pints in a row which put me off and it was eventually replaced. I presume like most lagers* it’s not the easiest to keep at its very best and eventually gave up on it. It’s now really been replaced with Birra Moretti. A similar thing happened with Freedom Lager too, although I’ve started seeing that again in a few places.

*quick clarification, im not sure how true the ‘lagers are difficult to keep’ bit is. A landlord once said to me that Stella needed to be kept at a certain temp for it to be at its best and in fairness that Stella Artois was one of the best I’ve had

16 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

Veltins nearly became the lager of choice in a lot of pubs I went to. Used to really like it then had a couple of shocking pints in a row which put me off and it was eventually replaced. I presume like most lagers* it’s not the easiest to keep at its very best and eventually gave up on it. It’s now really been replaced with Birra Moretti. A similar thing happened with Freedom Lager too, although I’ve started seeing that again in a few places.

*quick clarification, im not sure how true the ‘lagers are difficult to keep’ bit is. A landlord once said to me that Stella needed to be kept at a certain temp for it to be at its best and in fairness that Stella Artois was one of the best I’ve had

Was not aware of storage issues with lagers, but guess it makes sense as i've noticed Stella not being as good at some times as others.

Will try Birra Moretti.  Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Seems its not just the players that can drink the

On 02/09/2019 at 15:14, Squid said:

ahhh, karpackie... i remember having two of them back when i was 15 and was absolutely off my marbles. haven't touched em since.

Seems its not just our players that have an addiction to the "amber nectar"then,the whole town seems to be joining in

I used to brew a lot of beer myself (all-grain, don't get me started because once I get going, talking about refractometers, alpha acids and sparging I can bore for my country).

Well, to cut a long story short, my wife was digging around in the spare bedroom an hour ago and she said "Do you know there are a couple of dozen bottles of beer under the bed?"

I didn't. I thought it was just a couple of hundred empty 500 ml bottles, but I checked and there's more like 4 dozen full bottles amongst them.

So I opened one - a dark Belgian-style Dubbel (at one time I used to brew with Westmalle yeast) with an ABV of around 9%. A cautious sniff after uncapping indicated no acidic aromas so nothing ventured, nothing gained, I poured a little out and took a sip.

It's utterly fantastic - smooth and rounded like a really nice port wine.

Edited by Montgolfier
Clarification

3 hours ago, Montgolfier said:

I used to brew a lot of beer myself (all-grain, don't get me started because once I get going, talking about refractometers, alpha acids and sparging I can bore for my country).

Well, to cut a long story short, my wife was digging around in the spare bedroom an hour ago and she said "Do you know there are a couple of dozen bottles of beer under the bed?"

I didn't. I thought it was just a couple of hundred empty 500 ml bottles, but I checked and there's more like 4 dozen full bottles amongst them.

So I opened one - a dark Belgian-style Dubbel (at one time I used to brew with Westmalle yeast) with an ABV of around 9%. A cautious sniff after uncapping indicated no acidic aromas so nothing ventured, nothing gained, I poured a little out and took a sip.

It's utterly fantastic - smooth and rounded like a really nice port wine.

What I neglected to say in the above post is the fact that I haven't brewed for 6 or 7 years.

• 3 months later...

Had to go *5* pages back to find one of my favourite threads. What’s happened to us?

Went to one of my favourite bars near where I live and “accidentally” got 2/3rds of this 7.4% white breakfast stout. I mean, I’m not even sure what those words mean but it was bloody tasty

140BC8CA-3391-4214-AFF4-34D1CBC1154B.jpeg