Beer Thread

Cisse

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

Been in France this week, picked this up and it’s tres bien

BFCD7DC1-E44B-4EAD-B727-C803F691CC05.jpeg

Mort Subite is one of my favourite gueuzes. Wonderful beer.

Belgian beer boxes in play at Lidl today.

Got mine loaded into the car at 8:05 am (the store opened at 8:00). They flew off the shelves.

15 hours ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Is it possible to retract my statement? ?

Is it possible to retract my equipment?

On 30/05/2019 at 10:46, eddie said:

Public Service Announcement - Belgian beer

From Thursday, 6 June, Lidl are stocking their Van Steenberge beer packs (while stocks last). The price has gone up again, owing to the exchange rate - a box will set you back £11.99 - but it gives a few of you who may be so inclined the opportunity to taste a selection of what I consider to be pretty darned fine beers.

The contents are usually as follows (The picture in the catalogue supports this, but it may be slightly different)...

• Gulden Draak
  • Gulden Draak 9000
  • Bornem Dubbel
  • Bornem Tripel
  • Piraat
  • Piraat Triple Hop

The Bornem Dubbel is pretty good, in my opinion. The other five range from very good to utterly world-class.

These beers fly off the shelves, and are usually gone within 2 or 3 days. You'll probably have to be up early to beat me though. I go on holiday on the 6th of June, but I shall be going to the store first thing in the morning before I go away.

When I got to the store last Thursday morning (not my usual one, but one that's easier to get to during morning rush hour), there were two other guys waiting for the doors to open. I wasn't greedy, and just took 6 boxes - I think the other guys bought about the same.

On Tuesday, I popped back to see if they still had any left - not a chance. They had sold out by Friday.

On 12/06/2019 at 18:51, froggg said:

Straight from Nashville Tennessee, Peanut Butter Milk Stout, who said the Americans can’t brew beer?

5453C209-B246-4C1F-AA9E-F4D8503BDE36.jpeg

I had the same problem when I brewed some at home a few years ago - the peanut oil kills the head. You get the same problem trying to make chilli beer (yes, I tried that too).

Currently in love with a British beer - Tynt Meadow, our only Trappist beer, brewed at Mount St Bernard Abbey, near Whitwick, Coalville.

A year ago, when the brew was first available, I was far from impressed but boy, is it good now. I bought a box of a dozen last week - I'm nearly out now so I think another trip up to the monastery is due - probably tomorrow.

It's a dark, plummy beer - not particularly strong at 7.5% abv, but the flavour just goes on for ever.

33 minutes ago, Carnero said:

They don't look strong enough for @eddie

Anything <7% is for wimps.

I've had their Saison, and that was very nice. I say 'go for it'.

It's not Belgian, af course, but 'Belgian-style' - but there's nothing wrong with that. La Chouffe (very Belgian indeed) make a Scottish-style dark beer called 'McChouffe', and my current 'beer of the week' (Tynt Meadow) is a Belgian-style 'dubbel' but extremely English.

21 hours ago, eddie said:

Currently in love with a British beer - Tynt Meadow, our only Trappist beer, brewed at Mount St Bernard Abbey, near Whitwick, Coalville.

A year ago, when the brew was first available, I was far from impressed but boy, is it good now. I bought a box of a dozen last week - I'm nearly out now so I think another trip up to the monastery is due - probably tomorrow.

It's a dark, plummy beer - not particularly strong at 7.5% abv, but the flavour just goes on for ever.

Do you think they have improved the beer or is it improving in the bottle.

I thought it was only ok when I had some last year.

3 minutes ago, sage said:

Do you think they have improved the beer or is it improving in the bottle.

I thought it was only ok when I had some last year.

I was also unimpressed last year, but each month since about October I tried one in the Canal House and noticed an improvement as time went on. I assumed at the time that it just needed ageing, so last month I went to the Monastery to buy a box, specifically to do just that. However, for a baseline, I tried one, and thought that this tasted totally different - no evidence of the 'thinness' which I had noted before. Long story short, 8 of my original 12 bottles have sort-of evaporated - I've been tasting them alongside other classic Belgian dubbels and quads. Last night was a big test - I had one followed by a Westmalle dubbel - and preferred the Tynt Meadow.

I have no idea how 'old' the boxes are/were when I bought them from the Monastery. I haven't really examined the label for brewing date - it could still be down to the beer 'maturing'. If you are at the cricket next week, I'll bring a couple of bottles along.