Beer Thread

Cisse

On 29/04/2019 at 01:54, Coconut said:

Very good brewery, I don't see enough of their beers around. As much as I like their elephant they do need to mix their label design up a bit IMO, it's impossible to see exactly which beer of theirs it is without having the bottle in your hand.

That's a good point. Always enjoy their beers, but I think their designer must have died a couple of years back...

@eddie - have you seen that there is a Belgian beer bar opening in Derby? It's in the old Anglian Windows building on the opposite corner to Ye Olde Dolphin. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Supposed to be opening at the end of June

1 hour ago, StivePesley said:

That's a good point. Always enjoy their beers, but I think their designer must have died a couple of years back...

@eddie - have you seen that there is a Belgian beer bar opening in Derby? It's in the old Anglian Windows building on the opposite corner to Ye Olde Dolphin. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. Supposed to be opening at the end of June

Sweet baby Jesus ????

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Quickly checks 6.2 bus timetable from Belper to Derby.

On 02/05/2019 at 19:01, StivePesley said:

I've not heard anything about it. We normally go to Nottingham once a week to either The Canal House or Belgo, so it will be really nice to have a Derby alternative. My liver might not thank me though - Dolphin, new Belgian bar and Silk Mill all within a hundred yards or so.

Decisions, decisions.

Just had the following delivered...

• La Trappe Tripel (x 2)
  • Malheur 12 (x 2)
  • Grimbergen Blond (x 5)
  • Grimbergen Tripel (x 2)
  • Gulden Draak Brewmaster (x 2)
  • La Trappe Quadrupel (x 2)
  • Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel (x 2)
  • Gouden Carolus Classic (x 2)
  • Maredsous Tripel (x 2)
  • Malheur 10 (x 2)
  • Kasteel Barista Chocolate Quad (x 2)
  • Kasteel Cuvee De Chateau (x 2)
  • La Corne Tripel
  • Inglorius Quadrupel
  • Westmalle Tripel (x 4)
  • Grimbergen Optimo Bruno
  • Rochefort 8
  • Brugge Tripel
  • De Koninck Tripel d'Anvers
  • Kasteel Tripel
  • St Feuillien Tripel
  • Nonkel Pater Qua-Dubbel
  • Struise Pannepot 2017
  • Val Dieu Grand Cru
  • Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait
  • Mort Subite Oude Geuze

If I pace myself, they might last me until the weekend.

15 minutes ago, eddie said:

Decisions, decisions.

Just had the following delivered...

• La Trappe Tripel (x 2)
  • Malheur 12 (x 2)
  • Grimbergen Blond (x 5)
  • Grimbergen Tripel (x 2)
  • Gulden Draak Brewmaster (x 2)
  • La Trappe Quadrupel (x 2)
  • Straffe Hendrik Quadrupel (x 2)
  • Gouden Carolus Classic (x 2)
  • Maredsous Tripel (x 2)
  • Malheur 10 (x 2)
  • Kasteel Barista Chocolate Quad (x 2)
  • Kasteel Cuvee De Chateau (x 2)
  • La Corne Tripel
  • Inglorius Quadrupel
  • Westmalle Tripel (x 4)
  • Grimbergen Optimo Bruno
  • Rochefort 8
  • Brugge Tripel
  • De Koninck Tripel d'Anvers
  • Kasteel Tripel
  • St Feuillien Tripel
  • Nonkel Pater Qua-Dubbel
  • Struise Pannepot 2017
  • Val Dieu Grand Cru
  • Boon Oude Geuze Mariage Parfait
  • Mort Subite Oude Geuze

If I pace myself, they might last me until the weekend.

Start from the bottom up Eddie I don't like the last 3. Hope the La Trappe and Jeff Hendrick make it to a cricket game. 

18 minutes ago, Needless said:

@eddie

Where do you get the delivery from?

https://belgiuminabox.com/shop/

Delivery costs are around €7.00 for about 30 kilos (they use DPD, and they are very good and quite quick). I generally put an order in every 3 or 4 weeks, and the lot I posted above comes to about €120 including delivery. I ordered on Sunday night and the beer arrived around 1.30 pm today.

I normally add bottles until it clicks over to the next higher delivery band, then remove one bottle. I like to give Mo, the delivery man, the maximum amount of exercise carrying the box from the van.

They also do beer by the case - the beer prices for that tend to work out about 10-20c per bottle cheaper, but of course then you are getting 24 bottles the same (and a free crate, of course). They have also got a huge stock of different glasses, wall plaques, trays etc.

It's worth checking out their 'brewery packs' - sometimes you can get half a dozen bottles and the special glass for the brewery/beer. I do that a lot now, because I am starting to build up a collection of authentic glasses. Kurt Verbleest (the guy who runs BIAB) always ensures that everything is well packed - I've been using them for about 5 years now and I've only had 2 broken bottles, and the box was damaged on that occasion so I reckon someone at the depot ran a fork-lift truck into it. Since then, they've changed delivery companies anyway.

Edit: I forgot to add that every bottle you order, a percentage gets added into your 'loyalty points' - I let them accumulate all year and then cash them all in as part of my final order of the year in order to buy Christmas Special beers, bottles of Westvleteren XII and the like.

Edited by eddie

1 hour ago, sage said:

Start from the bottom up Eddie I don't like the last 3. Hope the La Trappe and Jeff Hendrick make it to a cricket game. 

I'm having the Mort Subite tonight - saving the Mariage Parfait for when we beat the Dirties.

4 hours ago, eddie said:

I've not heard anything about it. We normally go to Nottingham once a week to either The Canal House or Belgo, so it will be really nice to have a Derby alternative. My liver might not thank me though - Dolphin, new Belgian bar and Silk Mill all within a hundred yards or so.

Here's the website and tentative beer  menu - looks decent, just hope they don't get too much drunken overspill from the sports bar across the road

https://www.wormhasturned.co.uk/menu

6 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

Here's the website and tentative beer  menu - looks decent, just hope they don't get too much drunken overspill from the sports bar across the road

https://www.wormhasturned.co.uk/menu

So long as they have Bourgogne des Flandres, I am there - although I would sooner drink it where I took the following pic...

20190324_145010.thumb.jpg.716358b9863d8e2a4b27b28f9ab6b491.jpg

Got back from the game, wanted to go to the pub but was too sad so went home and opened this.

Ink & Dagger Modern Day IPA 6.5%. For saying I got it because I thought the design was cool it’s pretty tasty. Loses a point for being one of those weird cans that you pull the whole top off.

Cheers everyone ?

image.jpg

A first-timer for me tonight - Nonkel Pater Qua-Dubbel.

It's described as 'a cross between a dubbel and a quad' but it actually tastes more like a sweet stout. Pleasant-ish but I'm not sure there will be a second-timer. If I have another bottle, I'll probably fob @sage off with it.

?

Second beer up tonight is another first-timer - Dronkenput Tripel.

This one I might try again. Pleasant, crisp - nowhere near as good as Westmalle Tripel, which is appears to be mimicking, but nice. Quite hoppy, which you would expect seeing as is has bunny rabbits on the label.

Note the glass in this image I found on t'internets - I definitely want one of these.

drokenput-tripel-85.jpg.6f826555a9dcdc2d0127d472b6f00ce1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Public Service Announcement - Belgian beer

From Thursday, 6 June, Lidl are stocking their Van Steenberge beer packs (while stocks last). The price has gone up again, owing to the exchange rate - a box will set you back £11.99 - but it gives a few of you who may be so inclined the opportunity to taste a selection of what I consider to be pretty darned fine beers.

The contents are usually as follows (The picture in the catalogue supports this, but it may be slightly different)...

• Gulden Draak
  • Gulden Draak 9000
  • Bornem Dubbel
  • Bornem Tripel
  • Piraat
  • Piraat Triple Hop

The Bornem Dubbel is pretty good, in my opinion. The other five range from very good to utterly world-class.

These beers fly off the shelves, and are usually gone within 2 or 3 days. You'll probably have to be up early to beat me though. I go on holiday on the 6th of June, but I shall be going to the store first thing in the morning before I go away.