The E word

Angry Ram

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24 years old and the one thing I've grown to expect as a derby fan is disappointment... If we had got promoted the last few seasons if have expected us to stay up (just) this season id take anything top half. I don't like Pearson in the slightest but I never have. If it's a rebuild job over the next few season then this season id expect too half and a lot of movement each way 

3 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

This forum has interesting over the last few weeks and I have started to question what exactly are my expectations of DCFC.

Previously I would have said that I would expect us to be a mid table Premier League team, sometimes flirting with Europe and sometimes relegation. Is that bar too high now? We are never going to be a Citeh or a United and that's fine. Are we just a better than average Championship team? Keogh FC... Should I accept that as our lot and not complain when we achieve what we achieve.. Am I just falling out of love with football? Most games are really boring and I am less and less excited about anything. 

We lost to Liverpool last night. 10 years ago I would have wanted blood on all fronts. Now I just shrug my shoulders.. I despise no other team more than Liverpool. I hate everything about that club, on and off the pitch.. Yesterday.. Meh.

Is it just my age? Do the yoof still get excited? Is there any passion left? B4 aside, I doubt it.. I read posts from people who I think are younger and they seem to have lower expectations than I used to have..

I expect the youth have much lower expectations.

It wasnt long ago, I was amazed at some supporters calling very average derby players, heroes and the best they have ever seen. To me Wright McMinn and Saunders werent so long ago, yet to half of our supporters or more, this was before their time. The levels half again who cant remember baiano eranio and wanchope. If we really only have had 1 season in the top division in 15 years then is it any wonder our expectations change.

I personally remember the odd brief passage of play in the Eranio era as breathtaking and better than anything we produced under Cox. I would also probably argue that in brief times under McClaren it was even better still.

The difference is football is better, stronger and quicker now than ever and comparitevely speaking we arent at the same level. The fact the premier league is now a world league with very few british players in it at all, only prooves this theory.

Another way of putting it, is in a different era many of our average championship players would be top (premiership or old divison 1) players.

Can't really say expectations, they vary based on who plays for us, who manages us and who owns us.

I am 22 years old. My first season ticket was the premier league season where we accrued 11 points. It took over a season for me to see us win more than one match. It takes a lot for me to not be bothered. I have only ever left a match early once - when I was ill.

The past few seasons have been fantastic, without a doubt the best football I've seen Derby play. I wasn't interested when Jim Smith was manager. Wasn't around to see the likes of Saunders, Gemmill or Macfarland play for us. My legends are the likes of Jake Buxton and Chris Martin. You can call that sad or whatever, but it's my truth.

This season I've lost some of the enthusiasm I had for Derby County. Not because we are losing games or playing badly, lord knows I've seen enough of that over the years. I can't place my finger on it. Maybe it's because Pearson has got rid of players who despite what some may think, actually care about this club. Martin for all his moaning and falling over cared about this club. Hendrick for all his aloofness cared about this club. Buxton for all his shirt grabbing cared about this club. I just don't get that sense from a lot of the players we have here at the moment.

When Clough was in charge the football was nearly as bad as it is now, but at least I got a sense that the majority of the squad and his recruits cared about the club. It was a surefire thing that they would - it's what he looked for when recruiting players. I liked what we were doing under Clough, the slow build improving season on season on a small budget. I enjoyed McClaren's time at the club immensely, but as he brought in his recruits I feel I began to lose that connection fans have with the players.

I don't feel this was helped by Mel buying the club and our subsiquent high-wages, high-transfer fee approach to transfers. When was the last time we found a true bargain? When Clough signed Martin on a free.

Don't get me wrong, the players we have put in 100% all of the time, of that I am certain, but I get the impression that bar a select few (Russell, Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson) the others don't care about this club in the same way we do.

Don't really know where I was going with that. I'm not even sure it makes sense to anyone else reading it and I don't think it answered your question Angry, but I've been drinking and needed a release - this seemed like the best place to do it.

39 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Can't really say expectations, they vary based on who plays for us, who manages us and who owns us.

I am 22 years old. My first season ticket was the premier league season where we accrued 11 points. It took over a season for me to see us win more than one match. It takes a lot for me to not be bothered. I have only ever left a match early once - when I was ill.

The past few seasons have been fantastic, without a doubt the best football I've seen Derby play. I wasn't interested when Jim Smith was manager. Wasn't around to see the likes of Saunders, Gemmill or Macfarland play for us. My legends are the likes of Jake Buxton and Chris Martin. You can call that sad or whatever, but it's my truth.

This season I've lost some of the enthusiasm I had for Derby County. Not because we are losing games or playing badly, lord knows I've seen enough of that over the years. I can't place my finger on it. Maybe it's because Pearson has got rid of players who despite what some may think, actually care about this club. Martin for all his moaning and falling over cared about this club. Hendrick for all his aloofness cared about this club. Buxton for all his shirt grabbing cared about this club. I just don't get that sense from a lot of the players we have here at the moment.

When Clough was in charge the football was nearly as bad as it is now, but at least I got a sense that the majority of the squad and his recruits cared about the club. It was a surefire thing that they would - it's what he looked for when recruiting players. I liked what we were doing under Clough, the slow build improving season on season on a small budget. I enjoyed McClaren's time at the club immensely, but as he brought in his recruits I feel I began to lose that connection fans have with the players.

I don't feel this was helped by Mel buying the club and our subsiquent high-wages, high-transfer fee approach to transfers. When was the last time we found a true bargain? When Clough signed Martin on a free.

Don't get me wrong, the players we have put in 100% all of the time, of that I am certain, but I get the impression that bar a select few (Russell, Keogh, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson) the others don't care about this club in the same way we do.

Don't really know where I was going with that. I'm not even sure it makes sense to anyone else reading it and I don't think it answered your question Angry, but I've been drinking and needed a release - this seemed like the best place to do it.

I'm 30 years old and feel exactly the same as you Podgey. The likes of Ward, Russell, Buxton running through walls for Derby don't seem to be there so far this season, which is probably the main reason for the current fan disconnect. 

7 hours ago, Ninos said:

Not sure i like the Hawking metaphor, but you have a point. We've become a team you can walk over especially in a meaningful game or where we are the underdogs.

I went for shock factor. I wanted Simon and Louis attention. 

I said after Tuesday that there was no way Liverpool could auction their shirts as game worn because no one would believe they were. A half joke that is probably pretty accurate. Was actually quite disgusting to watch. 

The ability isn't a issue. Liverpool clearly superior but the manner of defeat was shocking. 

Sunday league first goal, walked through the entire side for the second and another cock up for the 3rd. 3 gifts and zero resistance. 

I used to love our football but people know how to play against that now. Arsenal have the same done to them, Boro complained last season about it.

End of the day we'll never be able to play that kid of football again as teams know how to play against it. What do we do? Do we get more players who are fighters and can knock them selfs around for a bit?

I seen the last time we was in the Premier League was 8 years ago that shocked me I thought it was a lot sooner! It just shows how close / inconsistent we have become. I've always managed to view us as a mid Prem team or at least inspire to be that. Last few seasons maybe play offs and promotion. Now? I'm not really that bothered it's weird it's like I expect us to lose and the other team put 10 men behind the ball.

I believe Pearson will do it but will need to change a lot of the failing squad. 

3 seasons of being near the top of the Championship have been very exciting, while a bit sad we missed promotion each time, I just thought we will have another exciting season of exciting football near the top of the Championship which is better than struggling in the Premier. Then along comes Pearson and the excitement has gone, there is not even any goals to lift my spirit just slightly.  

High expectations still exist for many, it's the root cause of total meltdowns after every defeat and calls to sack the manager.

If people were so willing to accept average mid table Championship football, attendances wouldn't have dropped under Clough.

As you get older the price of football increases it can be disheartening to see us still in the same place yet Man City have come from nowhere into one of the big fishes, not through grinding it out with good management like the rise of Burton but some rich guy in the Middle East needed a new toy.

Those to take with memories of the Clough and/or Smith eras, the days when we could compete with Liverpool.

I do get confused somewhat when you see those around 18 years old booing away, losing interest, moaning about ticket prices, each to their own, fully entitled to and all that but Derby have never been anything to shout about in your time watching us. 

Where have their expectations come from?

I guess you can blame Sky Sports for this, I do wonder how many of us would still have supported Derby given the opportunity to watch so much football on TV and become attached to one of the bigger clubs with replica shirts that are seen to be cool at school. 

All those hipsters in the Dortmund yellow, 20 years ago you wouldn't have a clue who they were, probably thinking it was a dodgy brand of fags imported from some rich kids holiday in Kazakhstan 

13 minutes ago, David said:

All those hipsters in the Dortmund yellow, 20 years ago you wouldn't have a clue who they were, probably thinking it was a dodgy brand of fags imported from some rich kids holiday in Kazakhstan 

wasnt they winning the champions league 20 years ago?

I remember back in the '90s when we were in the top flight, Jim Smith saying "there are two leagues in this division..."

I completely disagreed at the time and still do - you should aim to be 'top of the tree!'.

Like many I don't seem to get excited about going to matches like I used to, something is definitely lacking at the club! I never wanted Pearson to get the job, when he did I thought that I may warm to him in time, I don't think that is going to happen.

As many on the forum have already stated, the squad of 3 years ago has been ripped up  which is a tragedy. That squad was so together - it was there for everyone to see, now I feel that it's a team of journey men, has been's and nearly made it's.

My two 8 year old's are going to matches, and I'm worried that they will get put off - I find it all a bit depressing.   

11 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

You are yoof to me.. You are so right with the 'we could beat these today' comment.. I went home and away under Nigel and can safely say myself and little Angry, never said that.

I am lucky I was around for the glory days.. They seem like yesterday but sadly they are not.

Have my expectations been raised because I witnessed those days.. You being 25, I guess Jim Smith was as good as it got for you.

I love the passion of those who will not accept mediocre on here.. That was me and in spades.. Now a lot of posters seem to accept mediocre. You have to ask yourself.. Is it me that is being unrealistic.

Somene mentioned just good football... Is that enough? It's a sport, you play to win. Surely we have not just accepted that. What's the point..

Big club? Who knows, depends on the criteria.. Certainly not a small club who might be happy with Chapionship.

I just hope it's me that has lost the passion and the younger lot push this club to be better.. Don't accept average, we have enough of that in our lives.. Don't be frightened to show your displeasure at the right times.. 

Blimey, SlashmywristsRam

13 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

This forum has interesting over the last few weeks and I have started to question what exactly are my expectations of DCFC.

Previously I would have said that I would expect us to be a mid table Premier League team, sometimes flirting with Europe and sometimes relegation. Is that bar too high now? We are never going to be a Citeh or a United and that's fine. Are we just a better than average Championship team? Keogh FC... Should I accept that as our lot and not complain when we achieve what we achieve.. Am I just falling out of love with football? Most games are really boring and I am less and less excited about anything. 

We lost to Liverpool last night. 10 years ago I would have wanted blood on all fronts. Now I just shrug my shoulders.. I despise no other team more than Liverpool. I hate everything about that club, on and off the pitch.. Yesterday.. Meh.

Is it just my age? Do the yoof still get excited? Is there any passion left? B4 aside, I doubt it.. I read posts from people who I think are younger and they seem to have lower expectations than I used to have..

Nah Angry

I fully expect us to be competing with Benfica and Real Madrid.  We beat them before, why not again?

Believe!!! ;)

I have high expectations - constantly dashed by a dose of reality - it's the Derby way....

As I slumped in my seat at half-time on Tuesday, there should have been hope: we were only one down - we had a chance - we could get back into it and make a game of it - only anyone who'd watched the first-half knew we couldn't - it was only a matter of time before they scored another (and another, etc....). I felt nothing......

I felt the same as I did towards the end of Clough junior's time - Why had a I spent the previous few days looking forward to the game? Why had I thought we'd give it a go? Why didn't the players care about it more? Why had I bothered going to the game? Why was I going to sit there to the end of the match? Why didn't I just go home?

I  well remember the bad old days of the 3rd division when we had genuinely awful players, but at least we had hope and they'd try their best - now we have over-paid relatively skilled journeymen who couldn't give a monkey's whether we win or lose as long as they get their wad - or at least that's the impression they give. And equally as worrying, we seem to have a stubborn manager who has very little flexibility in his (or apparent understanding of) tactics and is struggling to motivate the players....

I'm already looking forward to another game on Saturday, but each weeks poor performance only makes it harder to turn up - and if there's not a dramatic improvement (in fact any improvement would do), then the end of season argument I have with myself about renewing my season ticket may be one I'll finally lose.....

Archived