The E word

Angry Ram

20 hours ago, cannable said:

You didn't get excited by 14/15 but are excited by this?!

Sado-masochistic or what.

you misread me, or I didn't make myself clear. I'm excited about the possibility of change and what it might bring, not what's being served up at the moment. And I think I said I was excited by McClaren's first season.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 22 September 2016 at 04:50, Angry Ram said:

This forum has interesting over the last few weeks and I have started to question what exactly are my expectations of DCFC.

Previously I would have said that I would expect us to be a mid table Premier League team, sometimes flirting with Europe and sometimes relegation. Is that bar too high now? We are never going to be a Citeh or a United and that's fine. Are we just a better than average Championship team? Keogh FC... Should I accept that as our lot and not complain when we achieve what we achieve.. Am I just falling out of love with football? Most games are really boring and I am less and less excited about anything. 

We lost to Liverpool last night. 10 years ago I would have wanted blood on all fronts. Now I just shrug my shoulders.. I despise no other team more than Liverpool. I hate everything about that club, on and off the pitch.. Yesterday.. Meh.

Is it just my age? Do the yoof still get excited? Is there any passion left? B4 aside, I doubt it.. I read posts from people who I think are younger and they seem to have lower expectations than I used to have..

It's a combination of you being an angry old curmudgeon and also having your expectations raised since McClaren took over and lifted a bright young team into a playoff final. Only to have our hearts broken. Then to lead the league in February....only to manage to miss the playoffs via an incredible losing streak...Then to lead the league on Boxing Day....you know what happened.

Most of us were uplifted by the manner of football we were playing. It was as stylish a brand of football as we've had since (as someone's said already) Eranio, Strupar and Wanchope. The club was on the ascendant in every way imaginable. Best crowds in the Championship, growing profile, improvement in the Academy..and performance had improved with a bright young squad.

We have an owner who actually loves the club and will seemingly do whatever it takes.

Since then, we've had a series of setbacks but, crikey, remember what it was like in the aftermath of the Poisn Dwarf's reign of terror? It took us five years to clear the debris. The squad which took us so far seemed to have taken us as far as it can without corrective surgery. Close but not quite.

Even if we look at this from the worst possible angle, we're rebuilding from a position of strength relative to the shattered ruin where the last rebuild came from.

It'd probably be easier to accept if the reasons we've fallen so badly short were easily understood but they're not. That promising young squad has proved it needs 'realigning'. 

Meantime, we have some unanticipated tish sandwiches to swallow but we'll get there. With Pearson.

Imagine our trajectory as a graph. The broad trends are still on the ascendant; we're building from a better base. We just have to keep the faith.

And I'm saying this as a fan who won't know we've arrived if it takes more than a few years.

Archived