Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wixman1884 said:

Reverse it? Like rehire all our former managers?

Former managers are like ex-girlfriends...the reality is you split for a reason.

However time seems to polarise your memory, the reality is they were never Kelly Brook......although admittedly there was perhaps the odd 'ten-pinter' who you thought looked like Salma Hayek but ended-up being more Paul Jewell.

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

My over-riding feeling is of one frustration people would even consider sacking him.

I'd compare it to having a slight but nagging toothache and keep trying different things...before finally deciding it needs sorting once and for-all. So you see a dentist with a good reputation then when he's halfway through drilling, suddenly jumping up and saying you've changed your mind!! It's a bit bloody late for that now...you just gotta strap on a pair and see it through..and guess what? It's temporary discomfort that's unavoidable now and is actually probably going to the right decision in the end anyway!!

PS I do realise this is an open goal for the 'currently its worse than going to dentist /I'd rather have teeth pulled out' replies ?

I'm more worried why this dentist with a supposed good reputation is using a hacksaw and power drill..........

2 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Former managers are like ex-girlfriends...the reality is you split for a reason.

However time seems to polarise your memory, the reality is they were never Kelly Brook......although admittedly there was perhaps the odd 'ten-pinter' who you thought looked like Salma Hayek but ended-up being more Paul Jewell.

Never go back. 

Tho if there was a sniff of kelly brook. ....:whistle:

The lack of sense on here is almost to the point of insanity! Let's change managers every 8 games and see where it gets us shall we? Absolutely ridiculous. We've appointed a manager who has success of getting teams up when given time! Let's lock the thread and give him a season. The last thing this club needs is instability. If he gets the boot I will totally loose faith in Derby County and mel's plan for the club. 

2 hours ago, deanoakaram4life said:

The lack of sense on here is almost to the point of insanity! Let's change managers every 8 games and see where it gets us shall we? Absolutely ridiculous. We've appointed a manager who has success of getting teams up when given time! Let's lock the thread and give him a season. The last thing this club needs is instability. If he gets the boot I will totally loose faith in Derby County and mel's plan for the club. 

I agree 8 games is too soon but when is enough, enough ? What would you do if we are in the relegation zone at christmas ? 

Pearson has only ever achieved promotion with one club. If we judge success purely on those sort of merits, Paul Jewell has been a more successful manager and it didn't stop him being so awful when he came to Derby.

For me he needs to show between now and the international break an improvement in results and performance. And then a continuation on this improvement up till christmas. Otherwise we need to cut our losses and attempt to salvage the season. Stability is worthwhile but only when combined with progress.  

21 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

"I agree 8 games is too soon but when is enough, enough ? What would you do if we are in the relegation zone at christmas ?"

The key word is 'if' of course. Lets see what the situation is come that time.

I think a lot of the dislike of Pearson is personal. They don't like his personality, or the fact that he doesn't do charismatic interviews. We had Mclaren with his cheesy grin and backslapping his pals at opposition clubs. Look where that ended up.

If Nigel Pearson consolidates this season, makes us more resilient and gets us playing like Leicester played when they were promoted, we will see progress at this club. 

4 minutes ago, europia said:

Your right about it being 'if' however would you not agree that's where the trajectory of results is leading us? 

I disagree about the dislike of Pearson being personal. I think the animosity towards him is largely down to results and performance being woeful combined with baffling tactics. Also I think there is a certain feeling we are losing the identity we had created under Clough and Mac, which I personally find to be a great shame. 

I do however think the opposite is likely true, an often cited reason for people say they like Pearson or think he will be a success is him having 'a no-nonsense personality'. Whereas our most successful period in recent years came under, as you say, "Mac's cheesy grin".  

1 minute ago, brady1993 said:

Your right about it being 'if' however would you not agree that's where the trajectory of results is leading us? 

I disagree about the dislike of Pearson being personal. I think the animosity towards him is largely down to results and performance being woeful combined with baffling tactics. Also I think there is a certain feeling we are losing the identity we had created under Clough and Mac, which I personally find to be a great shame. 

I do however think the opposite is likely true, an often cited reason for people say they like Pearson or think he will be a success is him having 'a no-nonsense personality'. Whereas our most successful period in recent years came under, as you say, "Mac's cheesy grin".  

Just have to agree to disagree with you on the above. 

4 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

That's fair enough :). From this point in time what would you consider a successful season under Pearson ? Conversely what would have to happen for you to want him sacked ?

Acceptable first season performance:  Top half of the table, maybe a late season push for play offs.

I don't expect him to be sacked, but I guess if we were in the bottom 3 in Jan / Feb and not playing well, the chairman would pull the trigger. 

5 minutes ago, europia said:

Acceptable first season performance:  Top half of the table, maybe a late season push for play offs.

I don't expect him to be sacked, but I guess if we were in the bottom 3 in Jan / Feb and not playing well, the chairman would pull the trigger. 

I largely agree with that. I'd just add that by the end of season we need to have a clear playstyle/identity and marked improvement. And that I'd pull the trigger if we were in the bottom third at christmas and aren't showing signs that it's going to change.

Archived