Should Pearson be shown the door?

oldtimeram

10 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

We had a captain - Buxton. Pearson sold him.

We had a proven striker - Martin. Pearson loaned him out.

If he was a good manager, he would have got to the club and immediately bought a defensive midfielder which allowed us to play 433 with Hughes and Bryson bombing forward, whilst at the same time covering the defence. This was beyond him. One player was all he needed.

Maybe he did try and sign a defensive midfielder, maybe he thought with the glut of midfielders we currently have at the club that at least one would be able to step up to the mark, maybe he's finding out that the players he thought would be capable of doing that simply aren't good enough. Whatever way you cut it the die is cast now.  

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, CheltenhamRam said:

I struggle to see him staying when your target is top 6 and you are in the relegation zone

Not that think he should be sacked 

We will get smashed if we play 5 or 6 U21s or whatever: there is a reason they aren't in the first team squad 

Thank goodness for some sense. Fans who think just stick a load of youngsters in and they're total commitment will solve the problem are very misguided and naive. The problem is clearly the manager who is stripping and denuding the togetherness and cohesion of what was a good squad not long ago. I exclude the random signings of last year from my notion of squad (Blackman, Weimann et al who are patently misfits and not up to it.)

We need a manager who has intelligence and who can unite a group of players. Frankly NP is not that man. He is the wrong choice. Quite clearly, things will not change under him. Mel Morris needs to show leadership at this point; come out and say something Mel...your silence on our plight is deafening. Either support NP or admit it was a mistake and for whatever reason things are not working...before it's too late. After 5 home games and as a season-ticket holder, I am even considering not turning up to the next home game; some others I spoke with yesterday feel the same...

12 hours ago, PodgeyRam said:

Pearson stated at the start of the season that aim was promotion. I assume that this goal was made jointly with Mel, in which case he should be sacked if he misses out on the playoffs. The fact that he has made this team look quite so rubbish is a testement to his skills, especiallly when the same squad reached the playoffs last season while getting used to the methods of two rookie managers and dealing with the injuries of two of our best midfielders. Pearson is making Wassall and Clement look liike the bloody second coming of Matt Busby and Bill Shankley at the moment.

If we lose at Cardiff on Tuesday I wouldn't be surprised to see Mel pull the trigger. Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mel keep him in the job until we're all but relegated in an attempt to placate those who say he's trigger happy. Who knows?

All I know for certain is that whether it is next week or at the end of the season I will not weep when Pearson is sacked (because believe me he'll never resign, he's too stubborn a man to do that).

Whole post is absolutely cracking - especially the bit in bold!

C'mon Mel man up and sack Pearson!

I blame this stupid transfer window crap ,, it gives players far far too much power ,I thought and still think Pearson could build a team to get us up but if the players for whatever reason don't want him they can almost certainly force Mel to sack him as we cannot buy and replace anybody at any time 

48 minutes ago, archied said:

I blame this stupid transfer window crap ,, it gives players far far too much power ,I thought and still think Pearson could build a team to get us up but if the players for whatever reason don't want him they can almost certainly force Mel to sack him as we cannot buy and replace anybody at any time 

Here we go again with the players don't want success bananas! Why wouldn't the players want to succeed under Pearson? Most of the players on interviewing after signing said they came here to get promotion to the Prem, they were telling porkies then were they, or just deluded!

I was happy when NP was appointed on the basis that I thought he'd instil discipline and metal into this squad and get them motivated, get them running out of their skins for him..... 

I'm not happy now though.

Just wondering what the hell Pearson and Powell were doing with this set of players pre season ? All those shiny happy pics of them laughing together on the training ground.. all the positive talk and vibes .. NP basking in the leatah glory ... The sun was shining and EVERYONE was predicting top six...even top two....lol lol 

As has been said, this squad is clueless, no confidence, no motivation, no ideas, no plan b ... ..I've no faith in them against anyone at the moment .. fear for them in Wales... I'm not sure they're being told the idea of the sport is to put the ball between the two sticks at the end of the grassy area.... what are they doing in training ??! lol 

I'd take Rowett or even Warnock (poss too old now tho) if we're bottom 3 end of November.... Still think Pearson should be given some more games to prove himself..But he must realise he's up against the wall now ... The "Derby Way" wall...and Mel is watching closely lol 

25 minutes ago, lee_derby said:

sacking the manager every few months will bankrupt DCFC with compensation payouts why do you think we didnt get pearson last season as we would have had to cover his bonuses. we needed talented players with a bit of bite

Hanging on to a manager who is driving a massive downward spiral will bankrupt DCFC with reducing assets and falling attendances, shirt sales, commercial sponsorship etc

Leadership is about being decisive and facing facts squarely...things are deteriorating rapidly. Giving the architect of deterioration (NP) more and more time will merely give more time for the rot to get deeper into the fabric of the Club. 

With the benefit of hindsight, wasn't there always a chance things would get worse before they got better? We had a top six- ish team who choked a few times when it mattered. I'm not sure that just tweaking things would have changed that. If some of the non performers don't like his style then he has to get rid of them. Pearson will need time to make the team that he wants and I believe/hope he has a strong idea of what will be required. He should be given this season as a minimum, he surely is working on targets for the next window. 

9 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

With the benefit of hindsight, wasn't there always a chance things would get worse before they got better? We had a top six- ish team who choked a few times when it mattered. I'm not sure that just tweaking things would have changed that. If some of the non performers don't like his style then he has to get rid of them. Pearson will need time to make the team that he wants and I believe/hope he has a strong idea of what will be required. He should be given this season as a minimum, he surely is working on targets for the next window. 

I thought we would struggle this season and I was willing to give Pearson a season to implement his style, but I did not expect us to be this dreadful. No game-plan, stubborn tactics, top players now crap and in a relegation fight. There has not been one thing Pearson has improved with our team since coming and I have no idea what direction he is trying to take us.

11 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I thought we would struggle this season and I was willing to give Pearson a season to implement his style, but I did not expect us to be this dreadful. No game-plan, stubborn tactics, top players now crap and in a relegation fight. There has not been one thing Pearson has improved with our team since coming and I have no idea what direction he is trying to take us.

I think we're fooling ourselves a bit saying we have top players. Over the last 4 years which of our players would have been regular starters for the likes of Norwich, Burnley, Bournemouth or Boro? Possibly Martin before he ran out of gas. Hughes, very likely. Bryson maybe. Apart from that I'm struggling.

1 minute ago, Reithe glas said:

I think we're fooling ourselves a bit saying we have top players. Over the last 4 years which of our players would have been regular starters for the likes of Norwich, Burnley, Bournemouth or Boro? Possibly Martin before he ran out of gas. Hughes, very likely. Bryson maybe. Apart from that I'm struggling.

Shackell, Hendrick, Grant, Johnson, etc... Making a team needs a good manager.

7 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

They have been competing at the top of the table for the past 3 seasons now and you have to have a good team to do that.

14 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

Shackell maybe, who used to play for Burnley? Hendrick maybe, who Burnley paid £10.5 m for? George Thorne maybe? Rich Keogh maybe, who Burnley wanted? Forsyth probably? :whistle:

I think clog much quoted a stat I keep thinking about after the burton game. 

It was nice to see 8 of the team were players I brought to the club. 

If that is the case we are generally still a 14th place team albeit with a a very expensively assembled bench, that has over achieved in the last couple of years 

The conclusion being we don't have that good a players. 

45 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:
12 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Shackell maybe, who used to play for Burnley? Hendrick maybe, who Burnley paid £10.5 m for? George Thorne maybe? Rich Keogh maybe, who Burnley wanted? Forsyth probably? :whistle:

Fair enough on Shackell but Hendrick wasn't even a regular for us and I'm a fan of his. Other than that I see a lot of maybes. Forsyth is not a probably, he's definitely a maybe. Anyway the point is if we're serious about competing as a top two team we should have four or five players who would walk on to the aforementioned teams.

14 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

We have good players, certainly good enough to challenge for promotion as the last three seasons prove. The difference at the moment is that the system is not based on our players' strengths and consequently the players look bad.

When you say the players are good enough to challenge for promotion do you mean top 6 or top 2? Because to me that's the real crux of the matter. We have proven top 6 players but Pearson wants a top 2 team.

12 minutes ago, Reithe glas said:

When you say the players are good enough to challenge for promotion do you mean top 6 or top 2? Because to me that's the real crux of the matter. We have proven top 6 players but Pearson wants a top 2 team.

We have been good enough to challenge for top 6. I too want a team that can challenge for top 2 but think the way to do this would be to build on what we have rather than what Pearson seems to be doing. He needs to be more flexible in the system he uses and set us up to play to our strengths IMO

Archived