Did anyone start supporting Derby because..

robglosta

Did our style lead you to support the club?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started following  derby in the late 70's. Showing my age now.I had three older brothers two support  Liverpool and my older brother everton. At junior  school there were twins in our class who supported dirty leeds and at p.e they'd  put that s..t kit on. The only team to follow was derby. They have given me lots of highs and plenty of lows. Helped me out in sad times in my life by diverting my attention away. And given my family great weekends in Derby watching the rams.I am so glad I support derby.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stamped when you come out

Dad, Uncle already Rams fans - went to first match at age 7 - 1973.........

High Points - Winning Championship - great derby 70s teams, Stuffing Real Madrid at Home, revitalised under Jim Smith

Low Points - Losing Brian Clough, Hillsborough Semi Final, QPR loss at Wembley, Financial Crisis at club affecting what happened on the pitch

How useless must you be to choose Derby if style is your criteria haha. 

Since I've been a season ticket holder (2004ish) we've had Burleys season, the first 3-4 games of a few Clough seasons and Macs first season of good football. The rest has been efficient at best and awful at worst. 

Probably wouldnt change it though! Always entertaining haha

Grew up on the Isle of Wight. Dad took me to watch Shilton when I was little. During the post Italia 90 relegation season. In all honesty, I think it was always wanting to support the underdog that drew me to Derby, because it was a regular spanking that season. 

Now I live here, and have a ST. Regret it daily...

I was living in Regent Street ( don't know if it's still there, opposite Midland Road anyway) and me and my cousin were slipped two bob each and told to go to the match. Looking back I think our parents wanted rid of us for the day.

That was 1969, the match was against Norwich, I'm sure we drew but that was me, hook line and sinker but to be honest I think it was more the anticipation, the waiting for the match to start and the noise of the crowd that got me rather than the players. 

A local hooligan got upset that I had a man united shirt, had a go at my dad, my dad told him to take me to Derby himself if it bothered him that much. So the hooligan bought me and his own a season ticket, which helped him out cos he could run off for a scrap after the game and I'd walk back home with his son. I was about 11. 

But, the baseball ground hooked me.

Born and grew up in Norfolk, started supporting Derby as a child when they signed Dave Mackay. My father used to take me to see Norwich but I never supported them. When we were on Holiday in Derbyshire I crazed my father for 2 weeks to take me to see Derby play. As soon as I heard the supporters I knew I would become a life long Derby supporter.  

Born and bred Man City fan. Family are blue. When City sold Francis Lee I was heartbroken and followed him. He is to blame,  erm I mean the reason why. I was at Maine Road in The Kippax with my silk scarf which I still have, a nine year old. To see him score that tremendous goal!!! Just look at his face :D

Gooner by birth . All my family are Gooners or Yids depending on where they were born in London.

King Charlie left Arsenal and joined Derby when I was only very young and I could not bare to watch him play for another team and followed Derby ever since.

Instead of a 5 minute tube ride its a 2 hour commute each way to the IPro, but Im glad I followed Charlie to Derby although its been hard sometimes I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Derby win and lose for over 40 years now and the glory days will be back Im sure.

1 hour ago, Jortat said:

Gooner by birth . All my family are Gooners or Yids depending on where they were born in London.

King Charlie left Arsenal and joined Derby when I was only very young and I could not bare to watch him play for another team and followed Derby ever since.

Instead of a 5 minute tube ride its a 2 hour commute each way to the IPro, but Im glad I followed Charlie to Derby although its been hard sometimes I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Derby win and lose for over 40 years now and the glory days will be back Im sure.

Bloody hell did nobody ever tell you you can change your wife ,your girlfriend ,house ,car but never your football team :thumbsup:

7 hours ago, robglosta said:

...of the way we played football? 

I would suspect much of the rationale is geographic and/or generational, but keen to know. 

By pure chance. Started supporting the Rams as a 4 year old down in Cornwall in 1970. No link or connection with Derby whatsoever but ardent Rams fan and Derbyshire cricket supporter......so only myself to blame!!!!

Archived