Did anyone start supporting Derby because..

robglosta

Did our style lead you to support the club?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brought up in ilkeston very much a border town between Derby and notts everyone in my class at school supported forest as it was there heyday (glory boys) so I decided I would follow Derby even though we were third division I think. I just hated those smug dirty tattoo on the calf dirty forest fans that and my granddad would have killed me .

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My father and a few others including the manager at the time use to go round the workmen's clubs collecting cash in buckets to keep Hartlepools afloat. Then the manager moved down to Derby and that fella ended up creating one great football club. I have followed us ever since.

2 hours ago, Jortat said:

Gooner by birth . All my family are Gooners or Yids depending on where they were born in London.

King Charlie left Arsenal and joined Derby when I was only very young and I could not bare to watch him play for another team and followed Derby ever since.

Instead of a 5 minute tube ride its a 2 hour commute each way to the IPro, but Im glad I followed Charlie to Derby although its been hard sometimes I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Derby win and lose for over 40 years now and the glory days will be back Im sure.

I've been thinking about doing this with Bucko! 

Grimsby boy but Dad and his side all Rams so had no choice. But what a team to follow,there's not many with a history as turbulent as ours.

As a 12 year old boy the 84-85 days were awful and I was ribbed continually,but I stood by my team and always.Ask any man or woman to name a Ram in my town and they'll all know me. 

Proud to say that the family tradition remains and my little lad absolutely loves Derby County. 

I was born in Leicestershire. My dad was a forest season ticket holder till ill health prevented him going. Why Derby? Simple, when I was 5 and just getting into football. Derby won the league and like a true glory hunter, I jumped on the bandwagon.just forgot to jump on the next one as it passed. 

11 hours ago, Seth's left foot said:

I live in Derbyshire. My Dad doesn't like football, he's into bikes.

One of my earliest memories of a game was when Maxwell flew over the BBG in his helicopter (it was announced over the PA) and everybody stuck 2 fingers up! 

I remember that.  Seems so long ago. 

I was 7 years old when Brian Clough came to Derby. My dad was a life long fan and so were my maternal grandad and all his brothers and their offspring, The following seasons, Dad used to get me and my brother who is 2 years younger than me  reciting the team line up which at the beginning started with Les Green, Ron Webster and Richie Barker. I remember my brother stalling once on Barker and me dad gave him a clue by woofing. My brother replied 'Richie Dog', well he was only 5 or 6! We used to go to reserve games a lot cos they were free with dads season ticket. When the Ley Stand was built my dad and grandad and some his brothers had season tickets, and if any of them were on holiday I got the chance to see the Rams and I loved it. As a teenager I had a season ticket myself and through thick and thin have always supported Derby although I haven't always been able to go as often as I would like due to finance and bringing up kids It's in my blood and nothing or no one could change it. For better or worse, can't help it, and now I'm firmly rooted in the South stand with 2 grandsons and the other half living through all the ups and downs of being a Ram. I love it, no choice

I've always lived in Derbyshire ( just)...... 50 miles from Derby centre, 13 miles from Manchester !...... all the kids at school were either UTD or City fans, I had to be different !......... first game I went to was a League Cup replay at OT......1969 ish...... we lost 1-0  and Kidd got the goal !...... apart from a few brief years in the 70's, It's always been heartache following the RAMS !.......where did I go wrong ?..... LOL !............  ( gotta say though, when I was a nipper, Denis Law was one of my favourite players ! , loved the guy ! )

1 minute ago, CLOUGH1971-72 said:

I started watching derby county in 1970 when Brian clough took us up. Brian clough made derby county football club and not enough people remember that. Its embarrassing and shameful really. 

Is that the same Derby County Football Club that was already 86 years old, had played most of its time in the top Division, played in several FA Cup Finals including winning it in 1946 and was a founder member of the Football League?

Brian was probably our best manager, he took us up, won the League and the majority of his team went on to win it again under Dave Mackay, but he didn't "make" Derby County Football Club.

Derby had spells of being one of the top clubs in the country several times during its history before Brian Clough arrived.

Did you fook off to forest when Brian went there?

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Is that the same Derby County Football Club that was already 86 years old, had played most of its time in the top Division, played in several FA Cup Finals including winning it in 1946 and was a founder member of the Football League?

Brian was probably our best manager, he took us up, won the League and the majority of his team went on to win it again under Dave Mackay, but he didn't "make" Derby County Football Club.

Derby had spells of being one of the top clubs in the country several times during its history before Brian Clough arrived.

Did you fook off to forest when Brian went there?

Cloughie did have a bit to work with when he arrived - Webster Hector Durban etc. But he did then build on this as we all know and did a terrific job. Agree though that he did'nt make Derby - he built a terrific team / raised the expectation and won trophies !!

11 minutes ago, Eargasm said:

I've always lived in Derbyshire ( just)...... 50 miles from Derby centre, 13 miles from Manchester !...... all the kids at school were either UTD or City fans, I had to be different !......... first game I went to was a League Cup replay at OT......1969 ish...... we lost 1-0  and Kidd got the goal !...... apart from a few brief years in the 70's, It's always been heartache following the RAMS !.......where did I go wrong ?..... LOL !............  ( gotta say though, when I was a nipper, Denis Law was one of my favourite players ! , loved the guy ! )

Same location to me it seems - I had spells of derby games when at home, Utd or City when Derby were away - plus County on Friday nights !! But Rams were and always will be my team.

I was 8 in 1966 when England won the World Cup. The country went football crazy, me and my mates played football on the park whenever we weren't at school and we all supported Derby as our local team. I don't remember any of us supporting another 'big' team of the day. My interest in football, particularly the Rams was so all consuming that my education definitely suffered. 

I went to my first game during Tim Ward's last season as manager and then Clough and Taylor arrived and things changed dramatically. Looking back on my first 10 years of supporting Derby I took all that success, promotion from division 2 (Championship now), 2 times League Champions, an FA cup semi-final and regular European football, too much for granted never imagining that the next 40 years would only produce a few good seasons.

Expat Mancunian grew up going to watch United in the 70's with grandad. Never thought I could change my spots. Went to a few Derby games after moving here and feeling it was the right thing to do if you wanted to really belong to a city. Did that for 17 years but thought the magic and enthusiasm had gone with my youth. Then came Macs arrival at that Ipswich game. 

The shivers were back, the joy, the passion, the pre match excitment. And it hasn't gone away, either after 3 hours in a coach park at having lost at Wembley or getting mugged by Ipswich last week. It seems that I am now a Ram. Thank you Derby 

Lived in Sunnyhill aged two till aged 4,have an extroninary memory of living their,on leaving to move to warrington everyone supported Man utd or liverpool,it was the George Best ,bobby charlton era i had no identity with either of these clubs and as i grew older and not wishing to comply with the majority for sakes sake made my allegiance to the Rams.

Archived