Did anyone start supporting Derby because..

robglosta

Did our style lead you to support the club?  

150 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope - started supporting because I lived in Ilkeston and my mates were split between Derby and Forest. I decided on Derby because that was the team of choice on the side of Ilkeston I lived on! Started going regularly in the days of Tommy Docherty, had a season ticket pretty much continuously since the dark days in Division 3, been through the near bankruptcy, the Maxwell days before we started to get sorted and started a gradual resurgence...

I guess that's why I have a bit more patience these days - I've seen a lot, lot worse and one thing I will guarantee is that it's cyclical and it may be a couple of years away but I confident we'll get it right and we'll be back in the top division...

Born and bred in Derby, family were all fans so no other team was ever an option. I was hooked the first time I went with my mates in the Normo end as a teenager in '86. Bobby Davison scored a late winner against Ipswich and the place went beserk.

It will be interesting to see what happens to my son (and daughter) growing up here in the North East. He proudly wears his rams kit amongst all the barcodes at football training and in the playground and has suffered the heartache of Wembley (and Rotherham). He has Derby blood so will always be a ram but could I deny him the opportunity to have a laugh with his toon mates and go to games home and way like I did when I was younger?

For now he has no choice - we'll be at the ipro with grandad Saturday!

My grandparents and parents were all Derby. The first live game my old man took me to was the last game at the BBG. My first season ticket was the season after. I can't get down as much as I used to these days due to work commitments but going week in week out watching Biano, Eranio, Wanchope, Igor etc is still yet to be topped.

On 17 September 2016 at 22:01, Eargasm said:

I've always lived in Derbyshire ( just)...... 50 miles from Derby centre, 13 miles from Manchester !...... all the kids at school were either UTD or City fans, I had to be different !......... first game I went to was a League Cup replay at OT......1969 ish...... we lost 1-0  and Kidd got the goal !...... apart from a few brief years in the 70's, It's always been heartache following the RAMS !.......where did I go wrong ?..... LOL !............  ( gotta say though, when I was a nipper, Denis Law was one of my favourite players ! , loved the guy ! )

Glossop ?

Moved to Derby when I was 5 or 6 having started out in the USA. No family members were into football. Took a little while to get the football bug but went to a couple of games with a friend and his dad. Always been a logical sort, so it was always going to be Derby I supported - purely based on being local, therefore easier to go and see them play.

But it was the noise, the smells, the anticipation, excitement and tiniest bit of fear all wrapped up that got me, and you got it in bucketloads at the BBG.

All my family have always been Derby fans. Remember being really young and loving Jim Smith simply because he was bald, and baldness is funny to a child of 3 or 4. Then of course my brothers had to explain what that (R) next to our name meant on the league table, and then why Jim Smith had to leave.

Then for about 5 years I just kept asking my dad every game what the result was. Some time during the 06/07 season he enquired why I always asked him the result instead of listening. Never occurred to me that I could listen on the radio. Heard that we were on the way up again and started to get hooked. Watched Wembley 07 and had no nails left by the end of it. My brother then bought his first season ticket for that disastrous Prem season and went to games with one of his mates. This mate bottled it when Derby were **** and started telling him he was giving games a miss. When he missed the odd game, I took his ST and went instead.

Despite the fact we were pants, I wasn't deterred at all. I loved it. So I asked for a season ticket for the following season in the Championship and have been a ST holder ever since. For better or worse. 

My dad lived in Shardlow until he was 8. The family moved to Leics and his 3 older brothers  changed to supporting Leicester.. Considering he was a very amenable chap and seldom disagreed with anyone, he insisted on supporting the Rams. I have much to be grateful to my dad for, and that decision is one of the biggest!

Most of the village we lived in supported Leicester and he was the only man in the factory he worked in with a Derby County mug for his tea! One day when we were going to the BBG, I remember the bloke next door telling my dad what a waste it was taking a girl to football - not very enlightened times the early 50s

2 minutes ago, archram said:

My dad lived in Shardlow until he was 8. The family moved to Leics and his 3 older brothers  changed to supporting Leicester.. Considering he was a very amenable chap and seldom disagreed with anyone, he insisted on supporting the Rams. I have much to be grateful to my dad for, and that decision is one of the biggest!

Most of the village we lived in supported Leicester and he was the only man in the factory he worked in with a Derby County mug for his tea! One day when we were going to the BBG, I remember the bloke next door telling my dad what a waste it was taking a girl to football - not very enlightened times the early 50s

This makes me a laugh a lot :lol:

It's been several decades now, have you got to grips with offside yet? Do you need me to explain it to you really condecsendingly using ketchup bottles on a table? 

There's an interesting question about how much the footballing style of your club affects your enthusiasm for the team in there somewhere.

For me I'm massively affected but never to the point of stopping following Derby. If we hired Tony Pulis for example I'd still support from afar and hope we won each weekend,  I'd simply never watch. It's dire football, I'd be bored stiff. 

My disenchantment comes from wanting a higher standard of football to those around me. I would rather see us in the play offs trying to play gorgeous football to going up with a route one side. The football does affect how I view the club heavily, especially now we have had the squad, funds and setup to pursue a higher standard. If you're a Carlisle fan you can't judge it in the same way, I'd be praying for a lower league Pearson to get them up. 

Derby born and bred, England won the World Cup when I was very young, when I was at Primary school Derby were winning the top division, playing in Europe, it just seemed the normal thing then, there was a buzz in the city, DCFC were the top topic of conversation on everyone's lips, no one I grew up with supported any other team, little did we know at the time that it was a magnificent exception to the usual DCFC rule of being a 2nd tier team with occasional forays into the top flight...TBE gave us a magnificent but short lived run in the PL, since when...well most people on here know the story including - crooked owners, protests outside the ground, NC keeping us up, Stevie Mac so nearly getting us into the PL...

Footie is (or should be) about your roots.  I now live in south London and have a fondness for Sutton United as a 2nd team, but once a Ram always a Ram and that's the way it should be.  I have huge respect for diehard fans of L1/L2/National League teams who show up week in week out because it's their home town club and they will never desert it, and look what clubs like that can sometimes achieve - Burton Albion!!!

Maybe we lack that lower league passion these days.  It was certainly in evidence at Crawley a few years ago when we went there in the EFL Cup and got beaten!  Have we become a bit spoilt perhaps, a bit too inclined to think that just because we have a larger home attendance than half of the PL that therefore we are somehow entitled to be there?  Or do we still have it OFF the pitch but not ON the pitch?  Have all our big money signings really understood what all this means to us frozen proles standing there shouting our guts out?

Would we perhaps have rediscovered it had we dropped into L1 like Forest, Wolves, Southampton and LEICESTER and then had to fight our way back?

Small boys...jumpers for goalposts...hmmmm.....isn't it......etc

5 hours ago, Tombo said:

This makes me a laugh a lot :lol:

It's been several decades now, have you got to grips with offside yet? Do you need me to explain it to you really condecsendingly using ketchup bottles on a table? 

Thank you so much Tombo!! This really shows why I love this forum - the sheer big-heartedness and willingness of people to help those less fortunate than themselves ( e.g. those of us without those strange little appendages that males protect so much)!

P.S. My dad was a qualified referee for non league football, so I did know a bit about the game before I got to the BBG!

I come from a great Brummie tribe and despite being worked on I never clicked with the Blues as a kid. Very first game was 1983 (I think) Man Utd v Norwich when my season-ticket holding uncle took me there. Loved the atmosphere and seeing so many mad people and policemen, but still did not click with a team.

Moved to Burton when a bit older, my mate Steve took me to a game as a pre-p**s up afternoon filler .....

November 1988, Derby 2 Arsenal 1.

The saying that you don't pick your football team, it picks you is certainly true for me. Ted McMinn ripping victory away from the Arsenal mullets. That was it.

Its not about style its about spirit. Still  miss the old ground.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:51, JaguarRam said:

Good grief, I cannot remember that far back but it was probably in the mid 80's I started supporting them so probably not style. I supported them because I came from Burton and the Brewers were in the "Pritt Stick Division 12" or something. 

I would suggest that our times under Arthur Cox, Jim Smith and McClaren did attract more fans but we are not a Man Utd and do not really attract fans with no connection to the area or the club.  AmericanRam aside. 

I could be wrong though. 

And me.

20 minutes ago, WhiteHorseRam said:

I come from a great Brummie tribe and despite being worked on I never clicked with the Blues as a kid. Very first game was 1983 (I think) Man Utd v Norwich when my season-ticket holding uncle took me there. Loved the atmosphere and seeing so many mad people and policemen, but still did not click with a team.

Moved to Burton when a bit older, my mate Steve took me to a game as a pre-p**s up afternoon filler .....

November 1988, Derby 2 Arsenal 1.

The saying that you don't pick your football team, it picks you is certainly true for me. Ted McMinn ripping victory away from the Arsenal mullets. That was it.

Its not about style its about spirit. Still  miss the old ground.

That was some game. No wonder you got hooked on the Rams. Young Phil with a cracker to win it late on...

Nothing to do with Derby's style - it was because I was born in the city, although moved up North when very young. Some family still lived back in Derby though & my Grandad, although he wasn't bothered about the football, bought me my first Derby kit & best of all, the Match of the Day video of the Rams. As a kid, watching footage from 15 years earlier of my hometown club destroying the likes of Benfica & Real Madrid was enough to convert me. 

Although times aren't great at the moment, I'm eternally grateful that I was given a proper team to support & not one of the plastics like Manu, Liverpool etc. Yeah, taken my fair share of ribbing from gloryhunters but I love the camaraderie of fans below the big 6/7 clubs, who might see your shirt & come for a chat/compare hard luck stories. Thats included a few Forest fans up North too, bless 'em ;) 

Archived