Is this job to big for Pearson

whaley bridge Ram

Sack him get wassall in until the end of the season then appoint someone new... I know its only september but how much time does he need.... Jeeeeez 

obviously im only messing shall we just turn it in? i wouldn't have expected a win even if we were firing on all cylinders

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has had no time with many of his players -including some of the new ones- due to the international break. 

There were glimpses today of the pace we have  at our disposal up front now and what is to come.

FFS we were playing a strong Newcastle side managed by a Champions League winning manager.

Let's see were we are at the end of the 2016.

I am old enough to remember the start we had under the Bald Eagle, bottom 6 in November.....also in Quasimodo's promotion season I think a defeat at Stoke put us in the bottom 6 early doors....we started poorly in the first season when Steve Mac took over and got to Wembley and we started poorly under Clement but were top at Christmas...it is disappointing so far but very early days. A couple of wins, confidence will grow and things will look better.

He has come in and is changing our formation and how we play. It will take a little time. He is watching the players on the pitch and drilling them in training. With such a big overhaul you can't expect instant results. We will soon reap the benefits. But at times when we are not doing what he has drilled into them every single day at Moor Farm, he will be on the touchline informing/reminding them what his system is. 

The last couple of seasons we have finished poorly. I look forward to a strong finish to what is as it always was, a long season. 

In the game I watched today I saw a lot of similarities with the Leicester side he got promoted. I wonder what people will be saying in a few games when we are absolutely relentless. 

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

We've repeatedly been informed by fester fans that we won't see a marked improvement for some time but give it some months and you'll wonder what all the negativity was about.

It's 6 league games and he's barely started, cut the guy some slack will you?

Can we lock this pointless knee-jerk thread please?

if we took that attitude we'd have to close the whole board down :D

2 hours ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

Stood on the touch line with out any passion wot so ever (my thoughts )

those players look lost short of ideas yes every manager needs time and

i have seen many in my years following the Rams come on Nigel prove

me wrong it's to Big of a job  

It's really tempting not to deconstruct that whole ramble and recast it into some semblance of English

Leicester fan in peace

Honestly, needed to make myself feel better after our thrashing today, so came on here.

I don't know what you've been told by other Leicester fans on here, Pearson does have something of an army of Leicester fans who even now still yearn for him. It's a bit weird. You can't really say anything negative about Pearson without being rounded on by those people. We call them "Pearsonites", hence my username (for clarity, I'm not one, I'm being ironic). So I suspect you've been told pretty forcefully that given time to build his own team Pearson will guarantee you success.

The trouble with that is that Pearson wasn't really the man who built the team at Leicester, that was Steve Walsh, now at Everton. Walsh gifted Pearson players like Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Knockaert and Vardy while we were still in the Championship. We already had the likes of Schmeichel and Nugent so we had a really strong squad for that level. All Pearson had to do was instil some discipline and a basic tactical system (442) and promotion from the championship was a sure thing.

Once we got to the premier league we no longer had the best players in the division so for the first time it was up to Pearson to use some tactical nous. Unfortunately Pearson is not a good tactician at all. We went through a good half a dozen different formations in the first half of the season alone. None of them worked. It was a total shambles. Some of his selections and formations were absolutely ludicrous. Honestly, you'd look at the team sheet and not know whether to laugh or cry, it was so bizarre. The highest profile example is probably the way he kept Mahrez out of the team for half the season. At the time Mahrez was already clearly our most creative player, but Pearson kept dropping him. He couldn't get the best out of him at all.

Now in the end we did go on a wild run that secured our survival, but on reflection, knowing what we now know about the quality of those players, we should never have been anywhere near the bottom of the league in the first place. It was Pearson's tactical inadequacies that put us there. The formation that led to our survival was at least the 10th different formation he'd tried that season, so was it more luck than judgement? Had Pearson finally worked the Premier League out, or was he lucky to just stumble on something that worked? I'll let you decide, but a quote from Pearson himself probably holds the biggest clue - when asked about what had changed at Leicester Pearson simply replied "I don't know".

I'll always be grateful to Nige for bringing Steve Walsh to Leicester and overseeing what would become a precursor to our finest hour, but I wouldn't have him back as a manager without Walsh, not even in the championship. Other Leicester fans will say different and some will defend Nige very passionately, but for me, you've got a manager who is tactically slightly below average at championship level and whose squad building capability is completely unproven without Walsh by his side. You've had a really poor start, and personally I'd be worried.

14 minutes ago, Pearsonite said:

Leicester fan in peace

Honestly, needed to make myself feel better after our thrashing today, so came on here.

I don't know what you've been told by other Leicester fans on here, Pearson does have something of an army of Leicester fans who even now still yearn for him. It's a bit weird. You can't really say anything negative about Pearson without being rounded on by those people. We call them "Pearsonites", hence my username (for clarity, I'm not one, I'm being ironic). So I suspect you've been told pretty forcefully that given time to build his own team Pearson will guarantee you success.

The trouble with that is that Pearson wasn't really the man who built the team at Leicester, that was Steve Walsh, now at Everton. Walsh gifted Pearson players like Morgan, Drinkwater, Mahrez, Knockaert and Vardy while we were still in the Championship. We already had the likes of Schmeichel and Nugent so we had a really strong squad for that level. All Pearson had to do was instil some discipline and a basic tactical system (442) and promotion from the championship was a sure thing.

Once we got to the premier league we no longer had the best players in the division so for the first time it was up to Pearson to use some tactical nous. Unfortunately Pearson is not a good tactician at all. We went through a good half a dozen different formations in the first half of the season alone. None of them worked. It was a total shambles. Some of his selections and formations were absolutely ludicrous. Honestly, you'd look at the team sheet and not know whether to laugh or cry, it was so bizarre. The highest profile example is probably the way he kept Mahrez out of the team for half the season. At the time Mahrez was already clearly our most creative player, but Pearson kept dropping him. He couldn't get the best out of him at all.

Now in the end we did go on a wild run that secured our survival, but on reflection, knowing what we now know about the quality of those players, we should never have been anywhere near the bottom of the league in the first place. It was Pearson's tactical inadequacies that put us there. The formation that led to our survival was at least the 10th different formation he'd tried that season, so was it more luck than judgement? Had Pearson finally worked the Premier League out, or was he lucky to just stumble on something that worked? I'll let you decide, but a quote from Pearson himself probably holds the biggest clue - when asked about what had changed at Leicester Pearson simply replied "I don't know".

I'll always be grateful to Nige for bringing Steve Walsh to Leicester and overseeing what would become a precursor to our finest hour, but I wouldn't have him back as a manager without Walsh, not even in the championship. Other Leicester fans will say different and some will defend Nige very passionately, but for me, you've got a manager who is tactically slightly below average at championship level and whose squad building capability is completely unproven without Walsh by his side. You've had a really poor start, and personally I'd be worried.

That's very interesting and a great write up. You seem to be confirming somethings that I have come to suspect about Pearson. Still, it's early days yet, so we'll see if he proves you, me and the other doubters wrong.

2 hours ago, Reithe glas said:

The job is not two big for him. He just needs time too organise things and stamp his authority. Ok, beaten to nil two-day by a top Newcastle side but I'm still optimistic, hope you are to. 

But they're not a top side. A win today and we'd have been a point behind. They had a couple of defeats already.

Even when we were mid table fodder we managed to give Newcastle a good hiding when they really were running away with the league.

I guess the question is, if this job is too big for Pearson which managers are we looking at?

Most wanted the experienced Pearson, we now have the bloke and 6 games in nah we need someone else he's not up to it....

Really interested to see the next name people are calling for to give them 6 games.

8 hours ago, Pearsonite said:

Leicester fan in peace

Think other derby fans would call me a cloughite but it still rings true we should've have sacked him

I personally never wanted Wassall as he had no experience...PC wasn't given a proper chance for me but again he had no experience...

Surely now have a manager with some good experience we need to give him a season. End of. We were nearly good enough but that side needed freshening-up, he's doing that... think some fans should support Leeds, they'd enjoy their chairman's style. 

Archived