Derby County vs Newcastle United

SouthernRam

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Parsnip said:

Yeah but dude if Martin is badly out of form and bent has only had 2 touches of the ball in 4000 minutes - surely it's time to give someone else a chance up front?

Maybe, first I would question why he's not playing as well as he has in the past. What has changed? Is it simply a loss of form, or have other factors come into play to make him seem like he's performing badly. Has the team changed its style of play? Have the players normally supplying him or helping him out suffered a loss in form as well? Or are they simply not where he would expect them to be? There's no point changing forwards if the problems lie further back in midfield and defence. I'm of the opinion that this the case.

It'll be interesting in the coming weeks to see if this is the case.

Now that my poetic premonitions have been admonished, from the predictions thread at least by the mod (sorry guys!), I feel the need for some pure football rhyme to explain our approach against Newcastle.

Carson rolls to Keogh
He slides it through real nice
To Hughesy, who takes a touch 
And passes on to Brys.
Then it's on to Anya 
Who makes the full back queasy 
And knocks it back to Olssen

Who crosses it over (easy!)

The ball evades the Geordies

'Who's ganna clear it pet?'

And it falls at the feet of Vydra

Who bangs it in the net!

More poetic punditry to come.......if there's a demand of course!

Even it it goes wrong I am here for the duration.  ....but it won't ! We are Derby super Derby 

@angieram .. Yes absolutely .. 11 men in the shirt and we need to get behind them, stay with them good or ill. 

Its a big test on Saturday and I am happy it is against serious opposition it will be a close up examination or our metal. 

I do see a lot of options for how we could approach this game. I think, sticking to what we've done so far this season, that we will/should go with something like:

Carson

Christie     Keogh      Shackell     Olsson

Bryson                Johnson
Ince                 Hughes                Anya

Vydra

I think Hughes will be able to work with Vydra much better than he did with Martin, as Vydra will look to exploit the space behind the defence. I would, however, argue that it's more likely that Russell will be brought in for Hughes and Ince will play either instead of Johnson or not at all. 

We could also go with both Wilson and Vydra upfront, which makes the midfield a little bit harder to predict. I wouldn't think it would do too well, either. 

I don't know where Russell fits in, I guess he will need to fight for his place. I do think that Vydra will definitely feel the height of expectation on Saturday, he has ultimately replaced our top goalscorer and arguably most influential creative influence over the past three seasons. No room for error. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Butterfield in for this game, though. I do think his ability to score from outside the area could well be needed. 

Carson

Keogh               Shackell

Anya                       Hanson                          Ollson

Hughes             Bryson

Ince

Vydra             Wilson

A diamond with wing backs thats the way forward.

Think I would have the following and we would do very well

4-1-3-2

Carson

Christie - Keogh - Shackell - Olsson(Fozzy when fit)

Johnson(Thorne when fit)

Camara      -         Hughes       -        Anya

Vydra        Weimann

I think we would do very well, Johnson would sit back and keep the pressure off the defence, Hughes to dictate play quite far forward knowing he always has Johnson back behind him.....admittedly Johnson needs to get in form but I think he could excel in this formation with these players.

Vydra and Weimann as two class hard working strikers, I think Vydra is going to be a hit, hopefully he will the striker who won't miss the easy chances, as others have said he was considered the best finisher at Watford by the other players, as for Weimann I am desperate for him to be given a chance as a striker, he is not effective on the wing and he is at his best using his pace down the middle and taking his chances, he is a hard worker who can see a pass and make the runs.

Hughes to sit in the middle, he needs to be on form, receive the ball from the back and dictate the play to the wings and the balls required to Vydra and Weimann.

The wingers to do what wingers should be doing. The defence to bring it out, use Johnson to link to hughes and wings, the front 5 attacking as a unit, with the defence and DM pushing up behind them to protect from a counter attack.

:D:D:whistle:

43 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Thought it was Elsnik first but you might be right because he put his hands through his hair which George does a lot.

It's GT, Elsnik's hairs not as dark. 

18 hours ago, Ambitious said:

I do see a lot of options for how we could approach this game. I think, sticking to what we've done so far this season, that we will/should go with something like:

Carson

Christie     Keogh      Shackell     Olsson

Bryson                Johnson
Ince                 Hughes                Anya

Vydra

I think Hughes will be able to work with Vydra much better than he did with Martin, as Vydra will look to exploit the space behind the defence. I would, however, argue that it's more likely that Russell will be brought in for Hughes and Ince will play either instead of Johnson or not at all. 

We could also go with both Wilson and Vydra upfront, which makes the midfield a little bit harder to predict. I wouldn't think it would do too well, either. 

I don't know where Russell fits in, I guess he will need to fight for his place. I do think that Vydra will definitely feel the height of expectation on Saturday, he has ultimately replaced our top goalscorer and arguably most influential creative influence over the past three seasons. No room for error. 

I wouldn't mind seeing Butterfield in for this game, though. I do think his ability to score from outside the area could well be needed. 

I've chopped and changed my mind regarding the formations but I like the look of this team. Everyone plays in their best positions. The only change I would potentially make is Camara instead of Ince, who hasn't done enough for recently to get into the side. Hughes as a no 10 would get the best out of him and allow him to create but also gives us the balance in midfield as he can form a 3 man midfield with Johnson and Bryson to get a strangle hold of the game if need be. Meanwhile, Johnson as a cdm allows him to focus on what he does best, a bruiser in the midfield. He lost form when he was asked to do things he wasn't comfortable doing, like creating. 

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

It's GT, Elsnik's hairs not as dark. 

Don't think it is him actually, as Animal is a Ram put on another thread, Pearson said that Thorne isn't back out training yet.Think it's most likely Rawson on second guesses, although the hair sweep may go against that. Seems a bit early for Thorne to be out there so soon after his second op. Last I heard, which was a few weeks ago, he couldn't even walk properly.

I guess we will find out sooner or later

Starting XI is a tough one, think I'd start something along these lines:

Carson

Christie       Keogh         Shackell      Olsson

Ince            Hughes         Bryson        Anya

Vydra           Wilson

Archived